News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2014

Started by Maladict, January 01, 2014, 06:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Nah, it was a residential road up to the edge of the forest. But still tough.

mongers

Quote from: Zanza on September 27, 2014, 10:15:52 AM

Still 400 meters is 400 meters; I'd have to travel nearly 100 miles to find that.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Zanza

Quote from: mongers on September 27, 2014, 10:18:42 AM

Still 400 meters is 400 meters; I'd have to travel nearly 100 miles to find that.
The city I live in reaches from about 200 meter above sea level to 550 meters above sea level. So finding a hill that goes up 200-300 meters is easy.

Syt

Zanza, aren't you from Lübeck? As fellow Holsteinian, I tell you that your love for mountains is unnatural. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

I would love to go sailing, but the next possible place is Lake Constance, which is a two hour drive. :(

Liep

Aye uphill is never easy no matter what you ride, and had it been single track I'm not sure you would've survived. :P Interesting with the "29, I'm rolling on "26 and often feel they're somewhat lacking on rocks or big roots.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Darth Wagtaros

Overhead press is up to 80 pounds. Yays. 
PDH!

alfred russel

Quote from: Zanza on September 27, 2014, 09:55:35 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on September 27, 2014, 08:07:05 AM
Would you go with a guide or without?

What was shocking to me was that so many of the unguided groups appeared radically unprepared.
If I go with the German Alpine Society you can bet that they'll do everything by the rule book and will have a guide.

Definitely post the stuff you are doing--even if it is boring I'll think it is interesting.  :)

This winter I plan to spend a good bit of time in a climbing gym to try and develop some skills that could help next summer. If you go back to my new year's resolution, I planned to do that this year as well, and it really didn't happen, so we shall see.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Zanza

I did some rock climbing (grades 4 and 5) last month. I don't really have talent and I lack upper body strength. But I could see how this could be fun if you dedicate the necessary time to build skills and strength.

alfred russel

Quote from: Zanza on September 27, 2014, 12:30:32 PM
I don't really have talent and I lack upper body strength.

These are also my problems.  :)

However, I think those can be overcome with training.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

So the hybrid/road flat that I've adapted to be the winter* bike performed reasonably well on it's first test ride, I took it 24-25 miles on one of my regular routes and intentionally didn't push me or the bike, indeed I tried to go noticeably slower than normal.

I now realise, what I suspected for a long while, the frame is a fair bit too big for me, but I've adjusted the angle of the bars all the way, also rotated them and move the saddle in an effort to get a better fit. And putting on some large 32 mm armoured tyres has improved the handling a bit and should make it OK for the modest off-road byways I often have to use.
Luckily the tyres just fit under my existing mudguards, by nearly 1-2 mm all round.  :)

*(read 6 months of mud, multiple trips each day, little or no cleaning and only the barest maintenance) If it survives the intention is to sell it in the spring and put the small amount of money towards a correctly sized semi-urban fairly light 700mm wheeled bike.

mongers

A bit puffed after yesterday.  :hmm:

This getting older still lark is a bit puzzling.  :hmm:  :hmm:

Legbiter

Yesterday was deadlift day on my strength program. Today is go-for-a-leisurely walk day.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Darth Wagtaros

5K Zombie Charge. There was no mention of rapelling down a frigging ravine before hand!
PDH!

Darth Wagtaros

Booth. They were lying in wait.  Some ambushed us, others just blocked the path. 
PDH!