News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Question for the military folks

Started by merithyn, December 23, 2013, 10:06:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: grumbler on December 23, 2013, 05:54:48 PM
Saluting varies more than you'd think across services.  In the Naval services, one doesn't salute when uncovered (i.e. not wearing uniform headgear) nor when indoors.  I don't know about the other services, but, in the Navy, you salute someone in the same organization as you (or someone you are working with repeatedly in a given day) only the first time you meet them in a given day, or when reporting something to them officially.  A report that is given with a salute becomes an official report.  In the Naval services, only, you can salute left-handed if one cannot use the right hand (that comes from small boat experiences where, if on the right side of the boat in heavy seas, you are hanging on with the right hand). If your right arm is broken, for instance, you salute left-handed.

I know the indoor salute thing applies to Marines, too. Does the left-handed salute?

A civilian saluting would have been considered gauche.  The civilian equivalent to the salute is to hold one's hand (or hat, if one is wearing one) over the heart.

Thank you. That's what I was asking. I didn't salute him because I could see it being considered... yeah, gauche is the right word for it. Certainly inappropriate.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Tonitrus

USAF salutes indoors only when officially reporting to the CC, and during award ceremonies (shake, take, salute)...again to the CC.  Never with the left hand.  If your hands are full, a polite verbal greeting. 

Maximus

Saluting with the left hand is gauche.

merithyn

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Alcibiades

Quote from: Berkut on December 23, 2013, 07:48:16 PM
Yeah, gotta agree with grumbler.

Saluting someone in the military as a civilian, unless there is some extenuating circumstances, would be seen as mostly just kind of weird and uncouth. It isn't strictly wrong, just not really appropriate. A salute is a military thing.

If you want to show someone in the military respect, a nice handshake and "thanks for your service" is the way to go, IMO.

Your question makes a lot more sense now Meri  :P

Berkut hit it right on the head here, though.    If you had I wouldn't have really known what to do, especially with so many of the higher rank around.  I don't think I would have saluted you back and that might have been awkward  :P
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Alcibiades

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Berkut

Quote from: Alcibiades on December 24, 2013, 05:08:22 PM
If you had I wouldn't have really known what to do, especially with so many of the higher rank around.

Oh man, suddenly there is a really good reason to do it! Making a brand new second looie feel awkward in front of higher ranking officers? :P

Congrats Alci!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

merithyn

Quote from: Alcibiades on December 24, 2013, 05:08:22 PM
Your question makes a lot more sense now Meri  :P

Berkut hit it right on the head here, though.    If you had I wouldn't have really known what to do, especially with so many of the higher rank around.  I don't think I would have saluted you back and that might have been awkward  :P

Well, there's a reason that I didn't do it. I figured it was most appropriate not to. :P I would have felt silly, and you would have felt awkward. But a hug in that uniform with all those bars/medals/stripes would have been weird, too, so you got an "atta boy" from me, instead.

Siege

Quote from: Monoriu on December 23, 2013, 05:53:33 PM
Does it mean that Siege will have to salute Alci now?

Yes. Also die for him when he does something stupid.
Which he will.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Alcibiades

Quote from: Siege on January 20, 2014, 03:07:03 AM

Which he will.

Except I have more real combat time than you  :console:

Syt

Which he will.

Would it be awkward at a Languish meet? I mean, is it uncomfortable for officers and enlisted to meet in a private capacity and have beers together?

This being the military I'm sure there's some sort of etiquette on this. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Alcibiades

Quote from: Syt on January 20, 2014, 12:30:25 PM

Which he will.

Would it be awkward at a Languish meet? I mean, is it uncomfortable for officers and enlisted to meet in a private capacity and have beers together?

This being the military I'm sure there's some sort of etiquette on this. :P

It's not as serious of an issue if they aren't in your chain of command.  But yeah, it's not favorably looked upon.

I can't be seen associating with those people.   :bowler:

:P

Siege

Quote from: Alcibiades on January 20, 2014, 12:27:00 PM

Which he will.

Except I have more real combat time than you  :console:

Sure. If you count your time in deployments using dog years.
Not even then. Don't think so.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"