And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on February 19, 2014, 08:55:26 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 19, 2014, 08:49:29 PM

There will definitely be no democracy in Ukraine if the army gets called upon, and even now there is only a tenuous pretext of it.

In that case, the protestors lose the moment the military is called on. You aren't going to integrate into Europe when you don't have democracy.
What I meant is that Yanukovich will cease to have any legitimacy as a democratically-elected leader.  It doesn't mean that Ukraine itself would permanently cease to be a democracy.

DGuller

Quote from: DGuller on February 19, 2014, 06:16:28 PM
A couple of Berkut guys were screaming in Russian at the film crews, and telling to get to get the fuck out, but generally, it did seem a little surreal.  Unless those Berkut guys went over on the other side, which is highly unlikely, the two sides did seem to at least cease fire after the bloodbath and work together on evacuating the wounded.
Actually, this now gets more confusing.  Here is a video as to how the situation got there, from one of the thugs who is literally running behind Berkut guys, and curses/mocks any protester who falls behind and is being beaten.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JqPZYTbJLY#t=131  It looks like at least some of the guys with the green surplus military helmets, if not all of them, are the pro-Yanukovich thugs.  Therefore, in the aftermath video that I linked earlier, I'm not sure that those not dressed in body armor are necessarily the good guys, and therefore the fact that they're walking side-by-side with Berkut may not be that weird.  In short, it's a fucking confusing situation.

Razgovory

Those look like the helmets the Red Army had in WWII.  I always thought when Berkut called himself a "Militant Moderate", he meant it metaphorically.  In practice this looks just as bad militant leftism or militant rightism.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on February 19, 2014, 09:35:36 PM
Those look like the helmets the Red Army had in WWII.  I always thought when Berkut called himself a "Militant Moderate", he meant it metaphorically.  In practice this looks just as bad militant leftism or militant rightism.
Soviet helmets didn't change since then, at least not visibly.

Queequeg

They're not as big, are they?  The WW2 ones kind of dwarfed most heads. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

Same size, Russian heads just got bigger.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

derspiess

They went through a few changes but to me they looked the same since mid-WW2.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sahib

Quote from: Barrister on February 19, 2014, 04:47:12 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on February 19, 2014, 04:35:56 PM
Are you sure about that?  I always thought that the city of Lvov itself had a majority German, Polish and Jewish population until WW2.

The fact you're calling it L'vov speaks volumes.

This is one of those issues I wouldn't really trust wiki on, for either side.

Are you also distrusting Austrian censuses. The city itself was Polish (and Jewish) while the countryside was mostly Ukrainian. That's isn't even remotely controversial ffs  :)
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sahib on February 19, 2014, 10:45:39 PM
That's isn't even remotely controversial ffs  :)

What's Lvov got to do got to do with it?

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 19, 2014, 10:51:35 PM
Quote from: Sahib on February 19, 2014, 10:45:39 PM
That's isn't even remotely controversial ffs  :)

What's Lvov got to do got to do with it?

And if you think my puns are bad......
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

DGuller

Regardless of what culture Lviv belonged to, there wasn't any choice as to where it would go regardless.  There wasn't such a thing as Soviet-occupied Poland in 1939.  Soviet Union annexed everything into one of the adjoining republics, so in the case of Lviv, it would've been either Ukraine, Belorussia, or Moldavia.  Obviously Belorussia or Moldavia would've made much less sense than Ukraine.

DGuller

The one obvious thing about these video that just struck me is how the thugs are attacking the crowds while standing shoulder-to-shoulder with riot police.  I'm so jaded as to the nature of Berkut that something so obviously fucked up didn't register immediately.  That kind of throws any pretense of legitimacy of the action to "restore order" out the window. 

I wonder if that titushka that filmed the attack will come to regret handing such documented evidence to the world?  It may be that no one cares about pretense anymore by this point, so maybe not.

Razgovory

DG, this is your former country, what do you think is the optimal outcome?  What do you think is the likely outcome?