News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tamas on February 20, 2014, 09:39:28 AM
this week he has switched from his traditional Georgian fandom to Russian fandom. It will pass. :P

Squeelus has consistently been a psycho about modern Georgia.

Maybe a Armenian/Georgian competition thing?  :hmm:

alfred russel

Quote from: Tamas on February 20, 2014, 04:50:17 AM
I am a bit worried about this. I understand the EU and the USA cannot let Putin just vassalise Ukraine without at least giving something in return, but I do no think that yielding and letting Ukraine come under more direct EU influence is a viable option for Putin. The potential point of maximum escalation is like way up there.

I think you may be amazed by the US lack of interest in the Ukraine. All we are going to do is talk, and we haven't even talked about a red line yet.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

If Russia manages to gain control of the Ukraine, it once again becomes a real threat to US interests on par with China, rather than the nuisance it is today. I'm sure that Washington is very interested in what's going down, regardless of the average American citizen's apathy.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

Yeah that's my worry. The Ukraine is huge, rich, especially in arable land, and is very strategically placed. Where it belongs is a major issue.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

The Ukraine is poor as shit. I guess any country that size counts as strategically placed from some perspective, but a country bordering Romania and Russia doesn't strike me as super vital to US interests.

I'm not sure Ukraine + Russia would be more powerful than Russia alone anyway.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

I agree that US has little interest in Ukraine, despite what Putin's propaganda is trumpeting non-stop, but I hope they have some interest in containing an aggressive and expansionist power.  Of course, US is limited not only in the power it can project there, but also in regard to the internal opinion.

Sheilbh

Quote from: alfred russel on February 20, 2014, 09:46:18 AM
I think you may be amazed by the US lack of interest in the Ukraine. All we are going to do is talk, and we haven't even talked about a red line yet.
Obama did mention a line, though he didn't specify a colour.

I think Putin knows the US and the EU care far, far more about Ukraine than Syria.

I've read Telegraph and Comment is Free comment sections. It's not pretty below the line :bleeding: :weep:
Let's bomb Russia!

Malthus

Care? Yes. Make stern pronouncements? Yes.

Intervene in a military manner? Never.

Same cannot be said for Putin.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 20, 2014, 10:22:39 AM
I think Putin knows the US and the EU care far, far more about Ukraine than Syria.

EU, for sure.  But the US?  There's a lot less buzz about it than Syria, and the administration doesn't seem to be as interested as it was (or still is, even) in Syria. 

For me personally I care a great deal about the Ukraine situation & hope the opposition prevails.  Not sure I'd be willing to put boots on the ground or even do something like arm the opposition, but I'd gladly offer up our transport resources if any EU countries would like to send troops :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

Quote from: Malthus on February 20, 2014, 10:25:54 AM

I would think that at the very least they would "protect" the Crimea and their Black Sea Fleet.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Malthus on February 20, 2014, 10:25:54 AM

'Care' is perhaps the wrong word. The West has far more interests in Ukraine and in pushing back against Putin there than Syria which was already, sadly, a not terribly important pariah.

QuoteFor me personally I care a great deal about the Ukraine situation & hope the opposition prevails.  Not sure I'd be willing to put boots on the ground or even do something like arm the opposition, but I'd gladly offer up our transport resources if any EU countries would like to send troops :)
I think at this point we're far away from putting boots on the ground or anything like that which I don't think anyone would support almost ever. Obviously no-one means military intervention. Though if there were a civil war I'd expect the West would be more supportive more quickly than in Syria.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

NATO troops in Ukraine would mean WW3, so that hopefully won't happen.

derspiess

Looks like they're deploying paratroopers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/20/world/europe/ukraine.html?_r=0

QuoteThe agreement was announced after indications — including the deployment of paratroopers to help protect military bases — that the Ukrainian authorities were concerned about maintaining control, particularly in the country's west.

"In many regions of the country, municipal buildings, offices of the Interior Ministry, state security and the prosecutor general, army units and arms depots are being seized," Oleksandr Yakimenko, the head of the state security service, the S.B.U., said in a televised statement.

The Defense Ministry later added a further beat to a drumroll of ominous warnings a day after the capital, Kiev, erupted in a frenzy of fire and fighting that left at least 25 people dead, including nine police officers, and hundreds wounded.

"Military servants of the armed forces of Ukraine might be used in antiterrorist operations on the territory of Ukraine," the Defense Ministry said, raising the prospect that Mr. Yanukovych could call on the armed forces to try to restore order and keep himself in office.

I have a hard time believing that they didn't already have adequate security at arms depots. 

derspiess

Quote from: Tamas on February 20, 2014, 10:43:30 AM
NATO troops in Ukraine would mean WW3, so that hopefully won't happen.

It doesn't have to involve NATO.