News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 26, 2014, 03:46:32 PM
Don't roll your eyes at me.  I'm skeptical of you and Tamas' new found concern over the fate of Muslims.

So you're saying I generally dislike or am indifferent to Muslims, then?

Anywho, my concern for the Tatars in Crimea doesn't really have anything to do with their religion, either way.  It has more to do with how they had been treated by Stalin and what could happen to them under Stalin II.  Pretty similar to my sympathy toward Ukrainians.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Norgy

Whether the Tatars are Muslims or not should be irrelevant in this matter.

They are basically a minority being dealt bad deal after bad deal after bad deal. That alone is enough to at least garner some sort of empathy.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

The one time I met a Tatar we polished off a bottle of vodka, so I'm pretty sure they're not all fanatics.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 26, 2014, 03:48:15 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 26, 2014, 03:46:32 PM
Don't roll your eyes at me.  I'm skeptical of you and Tamas' new found concern over the fate of Muslims.

So you're saying I generally dislike or am indifferent to Muslims, then?

Anywho, my concern for the Tatars in Crimea doesn't really have anything to do with their religion, either way.  It has more to do with how they had been treated by Stalin and what could happen to them under Stalin II.  Pretty similar to my sympathy toward Ukrainians.

I suspect it more to do with the fact that they make a useful club to bash Putin over the head with.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 26, 2014, 04:09:05 PM
I suspect it more to do with the fact that they make a useful club to bash Putin over the head with.

You say that like it's a bad thing.  But no, that's not my rationale.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 26, 2014, 04:12:13 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 26, 2014, 04:09:05 PM

You say that like it's a bad thing.  But no, that's not my rationale.

So you are concerned about all displaced peoples?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Norgy

Oh, this is going to be popcorn and soda-worthy.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Queequeg on March 26, 2014, 02:17:53 PMIt's a weird, complicated situation that I don't know a whole lot about.

WTF?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 26, 2014, 04:14:39 PM

Uh, where are you trying to go with this?  It's amazing how I can express something as innocuous as sympathy for Crimean Tatars and you try to turn it around on me somehow.

Queequeg

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 26, 2014, 04:23:47 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on March 26, 2014, 02:17:53 PMIt's a weird, complicated situation that I don't know a whole lot about.

WTF?
I wrote my honors thesis on the Russian Muslims so I know something about them but not nearly as much as about Caucasians or other Tatars. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 26, 2014, 04:38:51 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 26, 2014, 04:14:39 PM

Uh, where are you trying to go with this?  It's amazing how I can express something as innocuous as sympathy for Crimean Tatars and you try to turn it around on me somehow.

Like I said, I'm skeptical of rightwingers jumping to the defense of Muslims.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 26, 2014, 04:59:52 PM

Seems like you're the one fixated on the Muslim thing.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 26, 2014, 05:02:28 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 26, 2014, 04:59:52 PM

Seems like you're the one fixated on the Muslim thing.

I guess it makes it easier to support them if you forget they are Muslim.