And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Nah.  This is petering out anyway. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

katmai

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 19, 2014, 07:44:50 PM
I would not take it amiss if a kindly mod where to create a new thread from the Squeeljack.
I'd rather just ban him.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

BTW, where the hell is Ban Ki Moon in all of this?  Dude has to be the most feckless Sec Gen in the history of the organization.  Dude needs to acquire some feck, stat.

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 19, 2014, 08:10:55 PM
BTW, where the hell is Ban Ki Moon in all of this?  Dude has to be the most feckless Sec Gen in the history of the organization.  Dude needs to acquire some feck, stat.
Bring back the Boutros Boutros guy. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Viking

Quote from: Caliga on March 19, 2014, 08:11:43 PM
Bring back the Boutros Boutros guy. :)

Actually Boutros Boutros Ghali think's he's learned his lesson. Saw an interview with him recently about how Boutros thought that the reason Morsi fell is because he pissed off the Americans and if Boutros knows anything is that you should never piss off the Americans. Sounds like the kind of conspiratorial thinking that pisses off the Americans.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

This involves the big boys. He has no influence here, and can only make himself looked biased going forward.

No excuse for relative quiet on Syria and Venezuela though. So I sort of agree with you.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on March 19, 2014, 04:46:38 PM

But as Psellus pointed out, there's no realistic "third way" for Ukraine.  Either the EU goes out to assist and embrace Ukraine (maybe not full membership/Schengen, but substantial aid and economic integration), or it will be forced to turn back to Russian domination.

I think Spellus pointed out that there is no rational third way for Ukraine. That doesn't mean it won't happen. Politics doesn't always result in rational outcomes.

The problem is that if you have two blocks entrenched on the Russian and EU sides of the voting block--you can easily end up with a 2 party (or two coalition) system where neither can really find new votes. It is ripe for corruption. Even if there is competition and changes in government, the government could swing wildly between pro EU and pro Russia stances (sort of how it has been recently).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

alfred russel

Quote from: Iormlund on March 19, 2014, 05:11:04 PM

The EU can nudge Ukraine in certain directions but its power is limited by the Ukranians themselves (or rather their elites). Membership doesn't confer any advantage beyond access to agricultural and structural funds, which are relatively limited despite all the hubbub (and which won't be of much use in the hands of corrupt oligarchs). Meanwhile you are opening your markets to some of the most competitive companies on Earth. If the only cards you can play are dismal salaries and worthless currency you are fucked.

It is not accession to the EU that brings wealth. It's the process one must undertake in order to be successful within the Union that eventually does.

It isn't a panacea, but it does bring other benefits. Your constitution has to converge with european standards and there is some oversight regarding the rule of law. I think one of the biggest benefits is the freedom of mobility (which also has a downside for the country).

However, I posted over the past few years about the chance of the Ukraine joining the EU. Each time the Euro members of the forum told me that there was no way for that to happen in the foreseeable future.

Sheilbh

It is. I'd say anything less than 20 years is optimistic.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

It is shocking as to how poor Ukraine is.  I know that it doesn't have oil like Russia, but having 1/12th the GDP of Russia while having 1/3rd of its population is pretty bewildering.  Ultimately this kind of economic mismanagement is what made it vulnerable to aggression.

Razgovory

Quote from: alfred russel on March 19, 2014, 08:46:49 PM

This involves the big boys. He has no influence here, and can only make himself looked biased going forward.

No excuse for relative quiet on Syria and Venezuela though. So I sort of agree with you.

There hasn't been a good UN general Sec since Hamarsjold was killed in the Congo.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 19, 2014, 06:04:37 PM
Squeeljack

He's disabled the board transponders and he's taking this thread to Bactria, goddamnit.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 19, 2014, 09:26:05 PM
He's disabled the board transponders and he's taking this thread to Bactria, goddamnit.

:lol:
Experience bij!