FDA: trans fats no longer "generally recognized as safe."

Started by Syt, November 07, 2013, 01:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: PDH on November 11, 2013, 12:37:55 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 11, 2013, 11:41:04 AM
So how bad are trans fats for you, really?  I eat a fair amount of microwave popcorn (especially those 100-calorie bags), not much baked goods.

They do mean things.  They lower HDL while increasing LDL.  When combined with other fats they make things even worse, some researchers say the saturated fat studies were flawed simply because the saturated fats were tested in conjunction with trans fats - which made the cholesterol results even worse.

It is not nanny state to ban them, non-naturally occurring trans fats harm the body.

Isn't that the definition of nanny statism? :unsure:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DGuller

Sometimes you have to be pragmatic.  There is no good reason to not wear a seat belt, but out of inertia, misinformation, or machismo, many people wouldn't if given the choice.  You can either adopt a fundamentalist approach to the principle of no nanny-statehood of any kind, or you can save tens of thousands of people from themselves every year.

Tamas

Quote from: Ideologue on November 11, 2013, 12:41:29 PM
Quote from: PDH on November 11, 2013, 12:37:55 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 11, 2013, 11:41:04 AM
So how bad are trans fats for you, really?  I eat a fair amount of microwave popcorn (especially those 100-calorie bags), not much baked goods.

They do mean things.  They lower HDL while increasing LDL.  When combined with other fats they make things even worse, some researchers say the saturated fat studies were flawed simply because the saturated fats were tested in conjunction with trans fats - which made the cholesterol results even worse.

It is not nanny state to ban them, non-naturally occurring trans fats harm the body.

Isn't that the definition of nanny statism? :unsure:

well, BANNING trans fats is nanny-statism. Forcing producers to inform the customer about the actual level of transfats and other materials used, is not.

PDH

I don't know.  Banning a substance that has been found to be quite harmful when ingested is simple sense.  Nanny state attitudes have a morality function to them, at least how I see it.  This is an additive that research has shown to be harmful to the human body.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Tamas

Quote from: PDH on November 11, 2013, 12:52:11 PM
I don't know.  Banning a substance that has been found to be quite harmful when ingested is simple sense.  Nanny state attitudes have a morality function to them, at least how I see it.  This is an additive that research has shown to be harmful to the human body.

well, yeah, I guess.