Spitzer and Weiner Lead in New Poll Because Scandal Brought Name Recognition

Started by garbon, July 16, 2013, 10:21:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 16, 2013, 04:11:47 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 16, 2013, 12:47:14 PM
I think it is pretty easy as a married man not to be caught sending sexy photos of yourself to people not your wife and/or sleeping with people not your wife. ;)
But still, apart from the wife, who cares? :mellow:

I do. I don't care about sleeping with prostitutes or sending sexts except that doing so while a prominent political figure shows incredibly poor judgment. You have to know that shit is going to get leaked and there will be large political fallout which will be disruptive not only to your career but the performance of the duties of your position.  Why would I want to elect someone like that into my already dysfunctional gov't?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

I get the argument about prostitutes.

But I don't get your other argument. What if you're a minor political figure? Why should there be any political fallout because you're personally a sleazy guy (if you are)? Similarly why should a competent guy with vices be over looked for some totally clean Ken doll? :bleeding:

If you've not broke the law and you weren't abusing your position I don't get why it should be an issue.

I mean London's last mayor has five children, from five women and I think two of them were his wives at the time (and was, apparently, a bit of a creep). London's current mayor has five children, four from his wife, one from an affair. I don't think it matters at all in their fitness for office, or anything else.
Let's bomb Russia!

fhdz

We Americans are very strange about sexual morals determining fitness for public positions.

I find it odd that garbon is a proponent of this kind of thinking, since it's in the same vein of ideologies which restrict gay people based on their gayness.
and the horse you rode in on

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 16, 2013, 05:38:16 PM
I get the argument about prostitutes.

But I don't get your other argument. What if you're a minor political figure? Why should there be any political fallout because you're personally a sleazy guy (if you are)? Similarly why should a competent guy with vices be over looked for some totally clean Ken doll? :bleeding:

If you've not broke the law and you weren't abusing your position I don't get why it should be an issue.

I mean London's last mayor has five children, from five women and I think two of them were his wives at the time (and was, apparently, a bit of a creep). London's current mayor has five children, four from his wife, one from an affair. I don't think it matters at all in their fitness for office, or anything else.

It isn't about what there should be but what there is.  I think one would be incredibly naive to think there wouldn't be fallout in current day America.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: fhdz on July 16, 2013, 05:39:40 PM
We Americans are very strange about sexual morals determining fitness for public positions.
I don't know. According to the opening post it looks like more people don't care than do, same with the Sanford race. I just think there's a maybe large, loud disapproving minority.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on July 16, 2013, 11:53:02 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 16, 2013, 11:44:51 AM
Spitzer was governor...it seems a leap to say that his name recognition in the state is primarily the result of a sex scandal.

I don't know though that it is that big of a leap to say among people in NYC. After all many people won't have even lived in New York when he was gov. I certainly didn't.

Yeah, and what percent of the population do you think that is?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

To be honest, I'm not sure if infidelity shouldn't be a concern. If you won't even keep the trust of someone you love, why would you feel beholden to keep the trust of the faceless populace?

I'd feel very differently if it came out that Spitzer's wife had agreed to their arrangement / same for Weiner.

I find it odd that garbon is a proponent of this kind of thinking, since it's in the same vein of ideologies which restrict gay people based on their gayness.

I knew someone was going to go there and it is absurd.

fhdz

Quote from: garbon on July 16, 2013, 05:46:04 PM
To be honest, I'm not sure if infidelity shouldn't be a concern. If you won't even keep the trust of someone you love, why would you feel beholden to keep the trust of the faceless populace?

I've heard the argument before and find it, as usual, extraordinarily lacking.

QuoteI knew someone was going to go there and it is absurd.

Is it? It's precisely the same sort of thinking.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on July 16, 2013, 11:44:51 AM
Spitzer was governor...it seems a leap to say that his name recognition in the state is primarily the result of a sex scandal.

Given Spitzer's performance as governor, it would be a leap to say his name recognition came from that.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: fhdz on July 16, 2013, 05:55:25 PM

Why? I'm not sure why a person willing to betray the confidence of their spouse would be principled enough to uphold the trust of the public.

Is it? It's precisely the same sort of thinking.

No it isn't, unless you are starting from the premise that being gay is itself a bad thing for an elected office.  After all, I'm not taking issue with a person sleeping with prostitutes or sexting (have at it, I say :D) but again back on the trust front.  Why shouldn't someone who is willing to backstab their spouse be looked at askance? After all, it isn't impossible to imagine a setup where a husband gets permission from his wife to sleep around (or just sext but nothing more).

Also, I think it'd be another nuance if let's say Spitzer cheated on his wife with a prostitute (aka without her consent - and likewise Weiner and his sexting) but then was unabashed when the public got wind of it.  However, that's not what happened as both men felt what they'd done was wrong and made "tearful", ashamed statements.  I'm not sure why a voter shouldn't take into consideration that a person has demonstrated that they will do things they think are wrong if they think they can get away with it.

fhdz

Quote from: garbon on July 17, 2013, 01:21:46 PM

Why? I'm not sure why a person willing to betray the confidence of their spouse would be principled enough to uphold the trust of the public.

Clinton did fine.

QuoteNo it isn't, unless you are starting from the premise that being gay is itself a bad thing for an elected office.

I'm not starting from that premise, but there are lots of folks who do, and it's tied to their feelings about sexual morality.

garbon

Quote from: fhdz on July 17, 2013, 02:30:29 PM
Clinton did fine.

POV, of course.

I'm not starting from that premise, but there are lots of folks who do, and it's tied to their feelings about sexual morality.

Okay? But again that's not where my argument stems from so I don't see how I'm "proponent of this kind of thinking."

Caliga

Spitzer has the aura of a complete slimeball.  He gives me the heebie jeebies.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sheilbh

Clinton did fine.
Maybe. But I don't think fidelity to his supporters or promises was something he was renowned for :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 17, 2013, 07:11:09 PM
Maybe. But I don't think fidelity to his supporters or promises was something he was renowned for :lol:

Monica got taken care of.  Don't know what the Whitewater crew got for their silence.