If you could produce a big budget HBO series, what would it be about?

Started by jimmy olsen, July 12, 2013, 10:51:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 12, 2013, 05:59:40 PM
Troll suggestion?

Turtledove's Worldwar series.

That could be ok with decent screenwriters capable of making distinct characters.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 13, 2013, 11:32:13 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on July 12, 2013, 05:59:40 PM
Turtledove's Worldwar series.

That could be ok with decent screenwriters capable of making distinct characters.

In other words, not the Turtledove Worldwar series.

Eddie Teach

I like the concept of meshing historical fiction and alien invasion but nobody's really done it well. Cowboys and Aliens was just bad. Worldwar has promise but it's not really developed enough. It's like he sat down one night and brainstormed what the invasion might entail and then left it at that. I could forgive the lack of characterization if the world itself was fleshed out.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Drakken

I'm baffled that with the popularity of Band of Brothers and The Pacific, no big-ass WWII series was made on the Eastern Front.

I'd produce a 10-episode HBO serie extravaganza on the Eastern Front, from Barbarossa to Berlin, following a rag-tag crew of Germans wehrmacht go apeshit and die for the Fatherland, then go another 10-episodes following a rag-tag of Russian guards go apeshit and die for the Motherland. Obviously, nothing would be spared for the audience, and I mean nothing. I'd go all Darkness Induced Audience Apathy on them because if there was a place in which war was Hell on earth it was in Russia.

Drakken

Quote from: Zanza on July 12, 2013, 01:40:22 PM
It's like Game of Thrones in the real world, just without any likable characters and much more grim misery.

Wallenstein and Tilly were likeable sort of chaps... for the time. :unsure:

Razgovory

Quote from: Drakken on July 13, 2013, 07:56:50 PM
I'm baffled that with the popularity of Band of Brothers and The Pacific, no big-ass WWII series was made on the Eastern Front.

I'd produce a 10-episode HBO serie extravaganza on the Eastern Front, from Barbarossa to Berlin, following a rag-tag crew of Germans wehrmacht go apeshit and die for the Fatherland, then go another 10-episodes following a rag-tag of Russian guards go apeshit and die for the Motherland. Obviously, nothing would be spared for the audience, and I mean nothing. I'd go all Darkness Induced Audience Apathy on their eyes because if there was a place where war was hell on earth it was in Russia.

Yeah, nobody wants to watch abunch of Russians.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Drakken

Quote from: Razgovory on July 13, 2013, 08:05:33 PM
Yeah, nobody wants to watch abunch of Russians.

Russians and Euroweenies like to watch a bunch of Russians carpet-maul Nazis.

I'd give Elena Vaenga a cameo, too. :perv:

Razgovory

Do you guys even get  HBO?  Anyway, you guys don't like a war film unless every surviving soldier turns into an emo wrist-slasher to demonstrate "WAR NEVER SOLVES ANYTHING".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zanza

Quote from: Drakken on July 13, 2013, 08:01:02 PM
Quote from: Zanza on July 12, 2013, 01:40:22 PM
It's like Game of Thrones in the real world, just without any likable characters and much more grim misery.

Wallenstein and Tilly were likeable sort of chaps... for the time. :unsure:
Tilly was responsible for the Sack of Magdeburg, the biggest atrocity in a war full of them. Wallenstein brought the principle that war feeds itself to a new heights and looted whatever he could, making war perpetual.

Drakken

Quote from: Zanza on July 14, 2013, 12:51:08 AM
Tilly was responsible for the Sack of Magdeburg, the biggest atrocity in a war full of them. Wallenstein brought the principle that war feeds itself to a new heights and looted whatever he could, making war perpetual.

I know all this. Besides, Tilly is not responsible for the sack of Madgeburg, he lost control of his troops inside the fallen city because they hadn't been payed for a long while and Magdeburg was rich.

Like no TV series or movie has ever scripted a premodern, killing machine of a warlord under a sympathetic or emotionally complex light before, just for the sake of the narrative...

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Drakken on July 14, 2013, 08:40:54 AM
Quote from: Zanza on July 14, 2013, 12:51:08 AM

I know all this. Besides, Tilly is not responsible for the sack of Madgeburg, he lost control of his troops inside the fallen city because they hadn't been payed for a long while and Magdeburg was rich.

Command responsibility.

Anyway, my second idea for a series would be Battletech, starting just before the Fourth Succession War in 3028.  No Clan shit.

Drakken

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on July 14, 2013, 10:09:21 AM
Command responsibility.

Ex post facto law. In fact, sacking a city who had refused to surrender was the norm back then. Magdeburg not only vehemently refused to surrender, but was one of the focal points of Protestant resistance to the Emperor.

Also, Tilly (and almost all commanders of the TYW) was commanding mercenaries, whose day-to-day life in between battles was to plunder the countryside for money and food, which meant torturing, raping, and murdering. Principles of later-century national armies and Geneva conventions cannot be retroactively used when one is commanding a bunch of scorchers who can turn on you if you don't pay them or don't allow them to loot and rape. Only the bible-thumping, gung-go Swedish king succeeded in maintaining heavy-ass discipline, and even then the Swedish army was also including a lot of mercenaries - themselves plundering.

Queequeg

Russian Revolution, from 1905 to the death of the NEP.  Maybe 6 seasons. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Zanza

Quote from: Drakken on July 14, 2013, 10:23:29 AM
Ex post facto law. In fact, sacking a city who had refused to surrender was the norm back then. Magdeburg not only vehemently refused to surrender, but was one of the focal points of Protestant resistance to the Emperor.

Also, Tilly (and almost all commanders of the TYW) was commanding mercenaries, whose day-to-day life in between battles was to plunder the countryside for money and food, which meant torturing, raping, and murdering. Principles of later-century national armies and Geneva conventions cannot be retroactively used when one is commanding a bunch of scorchers who can turn on you if you don't pay them or don't allow them to loot and rape. Only the bible-thumping, gung-go Swedish king succeeded in maintaining heavy-ass discipline, and even then the Swedish army was also including a lot of mercenaries - themselves plundering.
The sack of Magdeburg was infamous at its time and people of the times certainly lamented the utter depravity of the mercenary armies. So even by the standards of the time, the Thirty Years War and its atrocities were considered damnable. 

Viking

Quote from: Zanza on July 14, 2013, 11:47:59 AM
Quote from: Drakken on July 14, 2013, 10:23:29 AM

The sack of Magdeburg was infamous at its time and people of the times certainly lamented the utter depravity of the mercenary armies. So even by the standards of the time, the Thirty Years War and its atrocities were considered damnable.

Think of Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo, infamous today as torture centers.. though, they are certainly the least bad of places where torture does happen. Magdeburg was a propagandistic tool for mobilizing protestants not because the brutality of the sack but rather that it's fall represented a crisis for the protestant princes who were in danger of losing the whole war at the time. It's not a case of OMG THE HUMANITY!!!!!1111oneoneone, it was more like Shit, were losing, we need to mobilize the base.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.