News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sonia Sotomayor for USSC?

Started by Caliga, May 26, 2009, 07:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 29, 2009, 11:05:16 PM
I've been to both a state University and an elite liberal arts college and there wasn't any difference in the classroom dynamic. A vocal minority controlled the discussion and must people didn't offer their opinion unprompted.

Clearly all those kids were stupid jocks.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

citizen k

Quote from: alfred russel on May 29, 2009, 05:16:27 PMI'm saying that people who are functionally illiterate should not be admitted to top tier state colleges.

Which state colleges should admit the functionally illiterate ?

Valmy

Quote from: citizen k on May 29, 2009, 11:08:13 PM
Which state colleges should admit functional illiterates ?

The ones in Mississippi.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: citizen kWhich state colleges should admit the functionally illiterate ?

UTSA needs to stop doing that.

Also, Valmy, did you ever see this article?

http://www.texasmonthly.com/2008-11-01/feature.php

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on May 29, 2009, 11:05:22 PM

People get into colleges all sorts of ways.  I guarantee you, nay I double dog dare you, that if you are an incredibly talented musician or actor or so forth you can get into the Fine Arts department at a University with grades and test scores that would get you rejected at other departments.

I am getting a little frustrated here.  You seem to be obsessed with this ridiculous and frankly untrue stereotype that athletes perform poorly when in fact they perform better than the average non-athlete student.

I am very well aware, and fully support, not just looking at grades and test scores to admit people to college. Any school that wants to let in a marginal applicant that otherwise wouldn't be accepted because they are an exceptional musician, actor, or running back is fine with me (though I'm not excited about the running back idea and don't see it contributing as much to academic life).

If the stereotype is ridiculous and untrue, how do you address the numbers for Georgetown? Yes I know that a lot of athletes graduate--I'm not sure that correlates to better performance. It probably has something to do with them being guided into easier classes that use subjective grading, effectively forced into attendance, and having tutors make sure they cross their ts along the way.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on May 29, 2009, 11:17:29 PM

If the stereotype is ridiculous and untrue, how do you address the numbers for Georgetown? Yes I know that a lot of athletes graduate--I'm not sure that correlates to better performance. It probably has something to do with them being guided into easier classes that use subjective grading, effectively forced into attendance, and having tutors make sure they cross their ts along the way.
You're looking at the Basketball team that has like a dozen guys. What about the average for every student athlete at Georgetown? There must be hundreds.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Also, how does an exceptional actor or artist contribute more to academic life on Campus than an exceptional running back? The running back's performance will be witnessed and enjoyed by a much greater percentage of the student body than the artist and the actor.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 29, 2009, 11:22:20 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on May 29, 2009, 11:17:29 PM

You're looking at the Basketball team that has like a dozen guys. What about the average for every student athlete at Georgetown? There must be hundreds.

If you want to look for that, go for it, but it is more the high profile sports that would be the worst offenders.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 29, 2009, 11:25:00 PM
Also, how does an exceptional actor or artist contribute more to academic life on Campus than an exceptional running back? The running back's performance will be witnessed and enjoyed by a much greater percentage of the student body than the artist and the actor.

Theater, film, and music are academic disciplines. People that have practical experience and excel in those fields can bring something extra to the campus and classroom. A running back's performance will be enjoyed voyeuristically, like a stripper's.

Berkut

Quote from: alfred russel on May 29, 2009, 11:29:47 PM

Theater, film, and music are academic disciplines. People that have practical experience and excel in those fields can bring something extra to the campus and classroom. A running back's performance will be enjoyed voyeuristically, like a stripper's.

How is watching a running back run somehow different from listening to a musician make music, other than your irrational insecurity over athletes?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on May 29, 2009, 11:34:59 PM

How is watching a running back run somehow different from listening to a musician make music, other than your irrational insecurity over athletes?

As I was trying to say in my post, the point of preferential admission for a musician shouldn't be motivated by the concerts that could be hosted. Most schools have music majors--don't you think having a real musician in the class would add something more to those classes than just someone who got a high SAT score?

Alas, you can still not major in football, or stripping. But at least you can watch. :)

Berkut

Quote from: alfred russel on May 29, 2009, 11:40:51 PM

As I was trying to say in my post, the point of preferential admission for a musician shouldn't be motivated by the concerts that could be hosted. Most schools have music majors--don't you think having a real musician in the class would add something more to those classes than just someone who got a high SAT score?

No, not really. And who says some musician in college is a "real" musician anyway? Aren't ALL the students "real" musicians? They are their for their potential right?

I don't see what this huge advantage is to having an exceptional musician is that makes them somehow superior to an exceptional athlete.

I think you are just trying to come up with a pseudo rational justification for your dislike of athletes.

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

dps

Quote from: alfred russel on May 29, 2009, 11:40:51 PM

Alas, you can still not major in football, or stripping. But at least you can watch. :)

Most public universities these days have open admissions AFAIK.  If you have a high school diploma and some means to pay your tuition and fees, you'll be admitted, no matter how bad your HS grades and test scores.  If they're going to admit students who barely graduated HS and got 850 on their SAT's who are working their way through college or whose parents have the money to send them, I don't see why there is a problem with admitting students with the same lack of academic acheivement on an athletic scholarship as well.

Now, you may not like open admissions, and that's a different issue.  But that argument was lost about 40 years ago.

garbon

Public universities are the only type. Georgetown is a good example. :yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Is she a front for her relative Javier? Is this all a Commie plot involving law, high jump and a black president?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.