News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

I still don't get what people see in Trump. Yet he seems to have momentum and lead in most of the swing states now. Bizarre.

Barrister

Quote from: Zanza on October 21, 2024, 04:05:49 PMI still don't get what people see in Trump. Yet he seems to have momentum and lead in most of the swing states now. Bizarre.

So I mean I don't quite get it either: #NeverTrump

But to the extent I do get it...

He's really famous, and has been for a really long time.  He says things that you're not supposed to be able to get away with saying (like waxing eloquently about Arnold Palmer's penis the other day), which upsets all of the right people.  There's also a general anti-incumbent energy out there in the democratic world which he is benefitting from.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 21, 2024, 01:30:50 PMRunciman is doing a series looking at political movies.  His latest episode is on Citizen Kane.  Trump has said it is his favourite movie.  Runciman explains how Trump completely misunderstood the message of the movie.  That picture could be the poster for the podcast.
The clip is kind of fantastic - and quite funny :lol:

I always find it slightly hilarious how on point Trump's tastes are. He went to see Evita five times when it was on Broadway, he watched Sunset Boulevard (I believe another film he's called a favourite) multiple times in the White House and forced guests to watch it too. Trump knows writers who use subtext, and they're all cowards.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 21, 2024, 04:30:06 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 21, 2024, 01:30:50 PMRunciman is doing a series looking at political movies.  His latest episode is on Citizen Kane.  Trump has said it is his favourite movie.  Runciman explains how Trump completely misunderstood the message of the movie.  That picture could be the poster for the podcast.
The clip is kind of fantastic - and quite funny :lol:

I always find it slightly hilarious how on point Trump's tastes are. He went to see Evita five times when it was on Broadway, he watched Sunset Boulevard (I believe another film he's called a favourite) multiple times in the White House and forced guests to watch it too. Trump knows writers who use subtext, and they're all cowards.

Thanks, I was meaning to look it up

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on October 21, 2024, 04:05:49 PMI still don't get what people see in Trump. Yet he seems to have momentum and lead in most of the swing states now. Bizarre.

What is weird is absolutely nothing has changed at all. I can only assume the anti-trans panic is working.

Either that or the polls are off for some reason. I was getting a little skeptical when we had that run of polls that had Harris with a big lead with registered voters but then Trump had a big lead with likely voters.

I think Trump will win, I think the culture war stuff combined with the inflation we had back after pandemic will do us in. But I thought that in 2022 and was shocked we ended up doing alright so...we'll see. Being a Democrat in Texas I am just used to defeat and disappointment.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Josquius on October 21, 2024, 02:00:33 PMdrastically away from "men's work" focussed on hard labour.

I mean is that true? Construction work and trades of all kinds are flourishing and being paid well. Plus they are usually unionized while "women's work" typically is not.

Not to mention the "Tech Bro"
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Trump is charismatic, and charismatic personalities can turn off people's brains, sometimes even the parts that protect then against self-harm.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on October 21, 2024, 12:31:55 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on October 21, 2024, 12:20:06 PM

That's it. That's this timeline in a nutshell.

Didn't he do that as an attack on Kamala?

Imitation is actually flattery.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

I have to say I don't understand why Harris is wasting time ass-kissing the old former GOP establishment. Any Republican non-tribal enough to ever consider voting Democrat has already decided to do so, but having fun and laughs with the old Republicans both Democrats and current Trumpist Republicans hate... what's the point?

This won't be the first election in recent years ruined by the mirage-hunting for the mythical moderate Right, extinct since at least 2016.

Tamas

Also watching this funny (and sad) Jon Stewart episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5KWZL1blWc

I was again thinking that somebody whose exposure to the US election must equal the casual Americans', the Harris coverage I encounter is at the very most 10% of Trump's.

It's just like with Boris Johnson in the UK I guess. We just have to accept Trump is too much a match to the American zeitgeist.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on Today at 03:14:04 AMAlso watching this funny (and sad) Jon Stewart episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5KWZL1blWc

I was again thinking that somebody whose exposure to the US election must equal the casual Americans', the Harris coverage I encounter is at the very most 10% of Trump's.

It's just like with Boris Johnson in the UK I guess. We just have to accept Trump is too much a match to the American zeitgeist.

Perhaps in the same way that Gaza/Israel is to Guardian readers?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on October 21, 2024, 05:33:52 PM
Quote from: Josquius on October 21, 2024, 02:00:33 PMdrastically away from "men's work" focussed on hard labour.

I mean is that true? Construction work and trades of all kinds are flourishing and being paid well. Plus they are usually unionized while "women's work" typically is not.

Not to mention the "Tech Bro"

Pretty true across the western world (the US has it better than most). Primary and secondary sector work has crashed since the mid 20th century.

It still exists of course. But its not the guaranteed always available support a family of 5 on one man's wage core of society that it once was.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on Today at 03:35:48 AM
Quote from: Tamas on Today at 03:14:04 AMAlso watching this funny (and sad) Jon Stewart episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5KWZL1blWc

Perhaps in the same way that Gaza/Israel is to Guardian readers?

Maybe, but I am not sure what you mean.

Josephus

this

In short:

Grit (unapologetic masculinity)

Spectacle (Trump rallies "give you a feeling of belonging and being a part of something special and bigger than yourself. You leave feeling unified, inspired,")

Nostalgia (make America great)

Faith (right wing, conservative Christians)

The Economy. (The high cost of housing across the USA has shaped residents' perceptions of the broader US economy — and made some of them wistful for the Trump years. )

Not mentioned here are a reaction to wokism, immigration and border controls

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Josephus on Today at 06:18:13 AMGrit (unapologetic masculinity)

That's the part I don't get.  He lurches back and forth between confused rambling and whiny bitching. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson