News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on September 12, 2024, 06:43:12 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 12, 2024, 06:32:42 PMDo you also think that hundreds of thousands of young people are stupid simply because they have become politicized by this event?

Hundreds of thousands of young people have not become become politicized by this event, based on the info we have to date.  Hundreds of thousands of young people have decided that they will vote for whomever Taylor Swift tells them to vote for.  Not necessarily "stupid" but certainly very far from wise.

Then you have not actually read what Taylor Swift posted.  Nor have you actually been paying attention to what I've been posting since I explained what she posted.

She explicitly did not tell people how they should vote.  She did explain why she is voting for Harris and she encouraged people to register to vote and then to vote the way they thought best.

You and HVC are creating a narrative that doesn't actually exist in order to fit your preconceived ideas of some stupid young woman who doesn't know her own mind.

The misogyny implicit in both of your views is rather disturbing.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 13, 2024, 08:59:27 AMThen you have not actually read what Taylor Swift posted.  Nor have you actually been paying attention to what I've been posting since I explained what she posted.

She explicitly did not tell people how they should vote.  She did explain why she is voting for Harris and she encouraged people to register to vote and then to vote the way they thought best.

You and HVC are creating a narrative that doesn't actually exist in order to fit your preconceived ideas of some stupid young woman who doesn't know her own mind.

Your eagerness to build a strawman here is rather disturbing.  Neither I nor HVC have said anything about Swift herself, which would have been obvious to you if you'd read what we actually posted, rather than just assuming we posted what you wanted to believe we posted.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

I don't buy Dorsey4HeadCoach's that he did not know who was Travis Kelce.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 13, 2024, 08:59:27 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 12, 2024, 06:32:42 PMDo you also think that hundreds of thousands of young people are stupid simply because they have become politicized by this event?

Hundreds of thousands of young people have not become become politicized by this event, based on the info we have to date.  Hundreds of thousands of young people have decided that they will vote for whomever Taylor Swift tells them to vote for.  Not necessarily "stupid" but certainly very far from wise.

Then you have not actually read what Taylor Swift posted.  Nor have you actually been paying attention to what I've been posting since I explained what she posted.

You really are a contemptible petulant fuck. after being informed that this was backroom info I've redacted*
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: HVC on September 13, 2024, 09:07:59 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 13, 2024, 08:59:27 AM

You really are a contemptible petulant fuck. [edited]

Okay, simmer down.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: HVC on September 13, 2024, 09:07:59 AMYou really are a contemptible petulant fuck. [edited]

Please stop escalating this.  You've gone too far here.  You can ignore CC and not see his posts any longer if you want to continue in this thread.

Josephus

Thousands of young people have signed up to vote. Whether they can get their arses off their phones on election day is another story altogether
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on September 13, 2024, 09:54:56 AM

Thousands of young people have signed up to vote. Whether they can get their arses off their phones on election day is another story altogether

Taylor should tell them to vote early if allowed in their jurisdiction.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

The Trumpist right takes an... interesting position here.

GOP-aligned super PAC seeks to exploit tensions in Michigan with ads highlighting Israel and Emhoff's Jewish faith
EDIT: Forgot the source https://www.cnn.com/2024/09/13/politics/super-pac-michigan-kamala-harris-doug-emhoff/index.html
QuoteA super PAC with Republican ties is running digital ads in Michigan promoting the Jewish faith of Kamala Harris's husband and touting the vice president's support for Israel in an apparent play to undercut Harris with the battleground state's large Arab American population amid ongoing political fallout over the war in Gaza.

Future Coalition PAC has spent nearly $60,000 running several YouTube ads targeting Michigan, according to Google's Ads Transparency Center. Each of the ads emphatically states Harris' support for Israel, and many pointedly highlight her husband, Doug Emhoff, who is Jewish.

The ads, framed positively and accompanied by stirring music, would appear to be in support of Harris' presidential bid — but the group behind them and their precise targeting in battleground Michigan suggest a more cynical motive, as they appear aimed at stoking divisions spilling from the ongoing war in Gaza and undercutting Harris' efforts to patch up the fraying Democratic coalition that includes Arab American and Muslim voters in the Wolverine State.

Arab and Muslim Americans make up a substantial voting bloc in Michigan. In 2020, nearly 146,000 Muslim Americans voted in the general election in Michigan, according to an analysis by Emgage, a group working to grow Muslim Americans' political power. Joe Biden won the state by 150,000 votes four years ago. Polls have shown a close contest this year between Harris and former President Donald Trump.

One of the ads from the group homes in on Emhoff, including depicting images of the second gentleman wearing a yarmulke and of him visiting the Auschwitz concentration camp. "Kamala Harris is a strong leader for these difficult times. And joining Kamala will be her husband and top adviser, Doug Emhoff. Doug Emhoff, who would be the first Jewish presidential spouse ever. Kamala Harris and Doug Emhoff: making history, standing up for what's right, supporting Israel."

Another one of the ads opens, "Vice President Harris has chosen a side, the right side. Harris has made herself clear: She stands with Israel and the Jewish people. She has, again and again. She understands the unbreakable bond between the US and Israel."

The ad continues, "So when (Israeli leader Benjamin) Netanyahu came to DC, Harris hosted the prime minister at the White House. And when supporters of a free Palestine stood up for Gaza, Harris put them in their place. And supporters of free Palestine? They hate her. Because Kamala Harris gets it. We can trust she'll always support Israel."

Other ads from the group contain similar themes. "This November, let's make history. Together, we will put a real pro-Israel president in the White House. And joining Kamala will be her husband and top advisor, Doug Emhoff, who would be the first Jewish presidential spouse ever. Only in America: Kamala Harris and Doug Emhoff."

Formed earlier this month, Future Coalition PAC has not yet filed a report detailing its donors or fundraising with the Federal Election Commission. Other filings by the group, however, suggest its GOP links: The group lists as its assistant treasurer Cabell Hobbs, who served as the treasurer for a super PAC supporting Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis' 2024 presidential bid.

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

PJL

Not a new tactic - they did similar tactics with Black & Hispanic voters of saying one thing to them and another to non university educated white voters in the last election (and probably the one before too).

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 13, 2024, 07:21:58 AMAbsolutely not. As the great Garret FitzGerald regularly asked as Taoiseach, "that's fine in practice, but will it work in theory?" (Ireland has never again elected someone with intellectual pretensions as Taoiseach...)

Evidence and data I agree with (I never really understand what people mean by reason, and as someone who works with European/civil law I'm actively hostile to logic :P) - but they're just components and there's many ways of reading and interpreting them.

There's different layers of things that require different judgements and different hermeneutics.

QuoteAnd that judgement needs to be constantly tested to make sure you are not leading yourself astray?
But totally agree with this.

What are the many other ways of reading and interpreting data and evidence other than reason and logic?

Sheilbh

Echoes, relationships, analogy, theory, abstraction or the opposite of focusing extremely tightly on a single thing. All, I think, often a better way of engaging with the crooked timber or the contingencies and risks than reason (never sure what it means) or certainly logic.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: PJL on September 13, 2024, 10:42:09 AMNot a new tactic - they did similar tactics with Black & Hispanic voters of saying one thing to them and another to non university educated white voters in the last election (and probably the one before too).
Yeah, that's not what they are doing.  They are posing as Democrats and praising a Democrat for her ties to Israel and her Jewish husband in front of a group of people not so keen on either.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 13, 2024, 01:26:33 PMEchoes, relationships, analogy, theory, abstraction or the opposite of focusing extremely tightly on a single thing. All, I think, often a better way of engaging with the crooked timber or the contingencies and risks than reason (never sure what it means) or certainly logic.

I don't know what echoes means but everything else you listed in my mind falls squarely with the logic and reason circle.

PJL

Quote from: Razgovory on September 13, 2024, 01:27:04 PM
Quote from: PJL on September 13, 2024, 10:42:09 AMNot a new tactic - they did similar tactics with Black & Hispanic voters of saying one thing to them and another to non university educated white voters in the last election (and probably the one before too).
Yeah, that's not what they are doing.  They are posing as Democrats and praising a Democrat for her ties to Israel and her Jewish husband in front of a group of people not so keen on either.

Fair enough I was a bit quick to judge after just skimming the article. However, after reading the article more carefully I would argue that although the tactics are different than before, the strategy of saying one thing to one particular set of voters and another to another set is still the same. For example had the target been white non-university educated males, then they would have gone for the weak on Israel narrative. Basically, it's more nuanced this time.