News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I was watching the Iowa/Iowa State game at the American Legion on Saturday and there was one guy there who didn't know who the Hawk Tua girl is.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 11, 2024, 06:33:12 PMI was watching the Iowa/Iowa State game at the American Legion on Saturday and there was one guy there who didn't know who the Hawk Tua girl is.

He is one lucky bastard.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on September 11, 2024, 06:35:31 PMHe is one lucky bastard.

:lol: She's a blank slate that people can attach any opinion to.

I think she's cute and contentless and reactions to her are fascinating.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on September 11, 2024, 06:21:08 PMI stand with DG with this as well.  If he doesn't know pop-singers, he don't know pop-singers.

It's fine. I get it. I do make an effort to at least know a little about what is going on in culture. Like I know who Taylor Swift and Beyonce are and I am familiar with lots of their songs. But then I will see some end of year video about the #1 huge song and artist of the year that it is invariably somebody and some song I have never heard of.

Somebody named Sabrina Carpenter is big now. Apparently she has been a hit maker and dominating the charts since 2022. I only just heard of her the first time a few days ago and I swear I had zero familiarity with any of her stuff. It is just a different world in pop culture than it used to be. In 2001 I couldn't have escaped Britney Spears and Ludacris if I had tried. Now I make a half assed effort and I miss it all.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 11, 2024, 06:39:06 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 11, 2024, 06:35:31 PMHe is one lucky bastard.

:lol: She's a blank slate that people can attach any opinion to.

I think she's cute and contentless and reactions to her are fascinating.

I don't have a problem with her. Just the phenomenon  :lol:

The Minsky Moment

I find her music uninteresting but as a cultural phenomenon, she is very significant on an international scale. I was impressed by the way she handled her beef with the music publisher.  It showed real discipline and will as well as the savvy to take advantage the weaknesses in the way the labels exploit copyrights. If I inhabited that world, I would not cross Taylor Swift.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Josquius on September 11, 2024, 05:29:00 AMAye. 10 years ago it might be expected not to know her if you don't care about pop music. When I first learned of her existence, having started working in a high school, she was already apparently huge. Just seemingly out of nowhere all of a sudden.
But these days she pops up in general news.
She's tied with JayZ for the most #1 albums after the Beatles. There's no excuse not to know her even if you don't like Pop Music.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on September 11, 2024, 10:33:27 AM
Quote from: DGuller on September 11, 2024, 07:20:22 AMI'm not trying to convince anyone of anything.  I guess my ignorance of Taylor Swift is a reflection of the age of algorithms, where anyone can be almost perfectly focused on news stories of interest to them, and everyone getting their very personalized feed assumes that everyone else is getting the same feed. 

News stories about business impacts of travel itineraries of some celebrities have never interested me.  Or business stories in general, for that matter.  If I ever need to have surgery, I'll ask the doctors to use CNBC to put me under.

Even if your only source of news and information in the entire world was Languish, the search function shows that Taylor Swift's name shows up 48 times around this place.

https://x.com/mulvihill79/status/1833899148803981475?t=jA8lt_GMYjYyl79idLwUyw&s=19
QuoteLast night's debate earned an overnight rating of 32.8 and a 70 share across eight networks. That's +28% higher than the Trump-Biden debate earlier this year.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 11, 2024, 07:48:57 PM
Quote from: Josquius on September 11, 2024, 05:29:00 AMAye. 10 years ago it might be expected not to know her if you don't care about pop music. When I first learned of her existence, having started working in a high school, she was already apparently huge. Just seemingly out of nowhere all of a sudden.
But these days she pops up in general news.
She's tied with JayZ for the most #1 albums after the Beatles. There's no excuse not to know her even if you don't like Pop Music.

Well who has heard of the Beatles or JayZ?

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 11, 2024, 07:48:57 PMShe's tied with JayZ for the most #1 albums after the Beatles. There's no excuse not to know her even if you don't like Pop Music.

Who the fuck is JayZ?

As an aside, I only became aware of Taylor Swift's massive popularity (I'd heard the name but never a song) until I had a rabid fan of hers as a student a couple of years ago.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on September 11, 2024, 08:10:04 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 11, 2024, 07:48:57 PMShe's tied with JayZ for the most #1 albums after the Beatles. There's no excuse not to know her even if you don't like Pop Music.

Who the fuck is JayZ?

As an aside, I only became aware of Taylor Swift's massive popularity (I'd heard the name but never a song) until I had a rabid fan of hers as a student a couple of years ago.

She became big around the 2008 and 2009 era which was probably the latest possible time I could be considered "with it"  :lol:

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Yeah, pop culture comes and goes.  And if she was only known within pop culture then I would also not know about her.  But she is pervasive. She is a shrewd businessperson, a brilliant promoter of her brand, and has constant air time when she shows up at a Chiefs game.

She is probably the most well-known person on the face of the planet.

Sophie Scholl

I really love Taylor Swift's music. I'm not a full-on Swiftie, but I have friends who are. I tend to hang out with a much more mixed age group of folks due to personal choices and past professions, so I'm usually still somewhat in touch with most trending things. I admit, though, not engaging with movies or tv for... quite a while now has definitely made me feel a little more adrift in certain cultural things.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

OttoVonBismarck

Some of you are very ill informed, really big pop stars have regularly been front page news in major outlets like the New York Times, WSJ, Washington Post etc. I can get not being into pop music, but do you also not even scan the major news journals of our time?