News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: HVC on September 11, 2024, 11:03:46 AMIt's like someone not knowing who Michael Jackson was in the 80s. Just in case, Dguller, he was a singer. Started off a black guy and end his career as an Asian woman.
That's not a good comparison.  Back then popular culture was a lot less fragmented.  You watched the news on TV, or read them in the newspapers.  Even if you had your interests, you were exposed enough to other people's interests because you can't go from 100% attention to 0% back to 100% story by story.  Now you can, there are a lot of news titles I scroll right past when I check the news on Google News or Apple News.  I'm sure a fair number of them had Swift's name in them, but there are lots of other names in other titles I skip as well.

HVC

She's been a mainstay in the public sphere for two decades. Even tangentially if you know other artists, like Kanye, you know about her. She's inserted herself into separate fields like sports, and the like. Even world news there was her Austrian concert that was canceled due to terrorist threats. You'd have to be in a very insulated bubble, or putting us on. Neither option is flattering :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on September 11, 2024, 11:19:22 AMShe's been a mainstay in the public sphere for two decades. Even tangentially if you know other artists, like Kanye, you know about her. She's inserted herself into separate fields like sports, and the like. Even world news there was her Austrian concert that was canceled due to terrorist threats. You'd have to be in a very insulated bubble, or putting us on. Neither option is flattering :D

Oh my, I forgot all about the TSwift / Kanye "I'ma let you finish" moment.  Gosh - that was 15 years ago...

And yeah, I remember her as a country artist, which was mid-2000s.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Sheilbh

And (unfettered democracy) he lost twice! :P
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

DGuller

Quote from: HVC on September 11, 2024, 11:19:22 AMShe's been a mainstay in the public sphere for two decades. Even tangentially if you know other artists, like Kanye, you know about her. She's inserted herself into separate fields like sports, and the like. Even world news there was her Austrian concert that was canceled due to terrorist threats. You'd have to be in a very insulated bubble, or putting us on. Neither option is flattering :D
Mystery solved then, I don't know of any other artists either, I don't follow sports except for auto racing, and I don't follow Austrian current events.  I do know of Kanye a little bit, IIRC he had gone off the deep end and/or supports Trump, but frankly I wouldn't recognize him if I had seen him.  First and last time I've seen him was when I happened to watch a Punk'd episode for some random reason.  I guess some people just have other interests.

crazy canuck

Out of curiosity, outside of reading only some Languish posts (because we have actually talked about her quite a bit in many threads throughout the years here) what contact with world outside your room do you have?

DGuller

Dude, you need to analyze with a professional why you have such an insatiable need to put people down, despite what appears to be considerable success in life.  You're really creeping me out.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on September 11, 2024, 12:21:11 PMDude, you need to analyze with a professional why you have such an insatiable need to put people down, despite what appears to be considerable success in life.  You're really creeping me out.

I am just astonished at how little interaction you claim to have with the world around you.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: HVC on September 11, 2024, 11:03:46 AMIt's like someone not knowing who Michael Jackson was in the 80s. Just in case, Dguller, he was a singer. Started off as a black guy and ended his career as an Asian woman.

Hee! Hee!

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on September 11, 2024, 10:46:49 AMI'm not saying it's impossible to find out who she is, there are indeed multiple ways more effective than Languish search.  I'm saying I did not know she was until yesterday, except for being vaguely familiar with her name.  I'm familiar enough now.

I don't know why people are griefing you over this.  You made an observation, not a controversial claim.  I believed it and just moved on.  I was surprised by the number of Languishites who are trying to convince you that your own memory is false and their interpretation of your memory is true.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I stand with DG with this as well.  If he doesn't know pop-singers, he don't know pop-singers.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

DGs comment made me wonder how many people in my entourage do not know who Taylor Swift is.

So far, lots of them.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.