News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 30, 2024, 06:04:05 AMI don't see how what he has done can be characterized as damage to easy and free exchange of ideas.

That doesn't surprise me at all.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Jacob on August 30, 2024, 02:36:12 AMI hope Musk meets a miserable fate that shuts him up, and soon.

What a cretin.
St Musk of the Church of Libertarianism is thus born.

Along with a host of conspiracy theories about Big Leftist corporations killing him.
PDH!

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 30, 2024, 06:04:05 AMI don't see how what he has done can be characterized as damage to easy and free exchange of ideas.

Free? Doesn't he charge money to boost you and get your ideas out there?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on August 30, 2024, 09:55:28 AM

Some ideas are freeer than others :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Brazil isn't a country I know much about but from the snippets I have gleaned it does always seem to have had a weird relationship with tech- quite famously its a country where the mega drive continued to be a major player right into this century (they stopped making it last year apparently), with massive tariffs making more modern consoles unaffordable to most.

Totally off topic I suppose, but I can't help but see echoes of that here creeping into the digital sphere for totally different reasons.
I know Russia too has been pretty big on trying to promote its own digital sphere (a famously bad Witcher clone costing bazillions to make being increasingly internet famous) and then China has had this a while...

I do wonder whether we might squarely be in a reverse course era with the global giants in decline and local internets becoming far more the standard again.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on August 30, 2024, 09:55:28 AM

I'm unclear on this.  Does he charge everyone who posts?

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on August 30, 2024, 05:52:18 AMSo looks like things are going down in Brazil - Twitter being blocked by ISPs and Starlink's accounts frozen.

Looks like Elon may have some room for complaint - Twitter/X and Starlink/SpaceX are separate companies, and I'm not sure why the government's beef with Twitter should then extent to Starlink.

As well, Brazilian politics are horribly complicated.  I slightly follow because of my brother's in-laws (plus he goes down there every year or two), but can not claim any real expertise on the topic.  The idea that the Brazilian government and judiciary are corrupt though is not one that can be easily dismissed.

Sometimes it's like the Iran-Iraq war - both sides are bad and you want them both to lose.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on August 30, 2024, 10:21:57 AMAs well, Brazilian politics are horribly complicated.  I slightly follow because of my brother's in-laws (plus he goes down there every year or two), but can not claim any real expertise on the topic.  The idea that the Brazilian government and judiciary are corrupt though is not one that can be easily dismissed.

Sometimes it's like the Iran-Iraq war - both sides are bad and you want them both to lose.
I don't follow it much but from what I've read the judiciary is not necessarily corrupt but very, very political and lawfare is a big part of politics by other means in Brazil. See the role they played in bringing down Dilma (though subsequently found no evidence of any crime) and prosecuting Lula who was ultimately sentenced to over 20 years - and then had those convictions overturned or overruled for reasons such as lack of jurisdiction or judicial bias.

(To be cynical: the courts disciplined the left when Brazilian elites were no longer able to accommodate them, which opened the door to a Bolsonaro presidency and when Brazilian elites found that more difficult all of those judicial issues with the left evaporated to allow Lula to win. The alternative is of course that they were right that Lula deserved those 20+ year sentences and they were also right that the courts didn't actually have jurisdiction and were biased - which just seems very politically convenient of when Lula was the risk v Bolsonaro was the risk.)
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Without having any real opinion on whether Lula was guilty or not - the fact that he was both found guilty, served two years, then had all charges thrown out, does not speak well of the Brazilian judiciary.

crazy canuck

You guys are going off an incorrect assumption BB has made.  If the information in Jacob's post is accurate, it has nothing to do with the court process.

The 24 hour grace period for X to appoint a representative just expired this morning, Brazil time.  After that X confirmed it would not comply.  The Court will now determine what to do about the breach of the court order.

Sheilbh

I've not said anything about Jake's post.

But, look up the Supreme Court Justice who made the order for other examples of what I have said about the Brazilian justice system being very politicised, they overlap, and used in politics.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 30, 2024, 12:23:17 PMI've not said anything about Jake's post.

But, look up the Supreme Court Justice who made the order for other examples of what I have said about the Brazilian justice system being very politicised, they overlap, and used in politics.

You were responding to BB's post, which wrongly assumed the actions described in Jacob's post was because of some action by the Court.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 30, 2024, 12:28:53 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 30, 2024, 12:23:17 PMI've not said anything about Jake's post.

You were responding to BB's post, which wrongly assumed the actions described in Jacob's post was because of some action by the Court.

Dude, read my post again. 

QuoteI'm not sure why the government's beef with Twitter should then extent to Starlink.

QuoteThe idea that the Brazilian government and judiciary are corrupt though is not one that can be easily dismissed.

I really don't know much about what's going on between Twitter and Brazil (other than the fact I keep getting Elon Musk tweets in my timeline talking about it, despite me not following him).

My only real point is that governance in Brazil is pretty suspect, so probably both sides are in the wrong here.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on August 30, 2024, 12:34:53 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 30, 2024, 12:28:53 PM

Dude, read my post again. 

QuoteI'm not sure why the government's beef with Twitter should then extent to Starlink.

QuoteThe idea that the Brazilian government and judiciary are corrupt though is not one that can be easily dismissed.

I really don't know much about what's going on between Twitter and Brazil (other than the fact I keep getting Elon Musk tweets in my timeline talking about it, despite me not following him).

My only real point is that governance in Brazil is pretty suspect, so probably both sides are in the wrong here.

You included the courts in your reactionary swipe.  Don't be surprised that you got called on it.

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 30, 2024, 12:28:53 PMYou were responding to BB's post, which wrongly assumed the actions described in Jacob's post was because of some action by the Court.
Sure but I said nothing about Jacob's post because I had nothing to say about it. That's why I deleted that bit and followed up on what BBoy said about Brazil's judiciary. And again I'm not sure about corruption but I think they are very much political actors.

I have no opinion whatsoever on Twitter being blocked and Starlink's accounts frozen.
Let's bomb Russia!