News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 18, 2024, 10:58:33 PMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3oOtADJrm0

Adding on to what Raz raised in a different thread, protestors in Chicago are protesting for reproductive rights and LGBTQ rights, in addition to Palestine.  WTF are they doing at the Democratic convention??  :huh:

Indeed, they should protest in Gaza.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 18, 2024, 10:58:33 PMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3oOtADJrm0

Adding on to what Raz raised in a different thread, protestors in Chicago are protesting for reproductive rights and LGBTQ rights, in addition to Palestine.  WTF are they doing at the Democratic convention??  :huh:

Realistically, the US has a lot of leverage over Israel.

In the mind of crazy segments of the far left, Israel is just a US sock puppet so the US has supreme power over Israeli policy.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on August 19, 2024, 01:57:41 AM

Realistically, the US has a lot of leverage over Israel.

In the mind of crazy segments of the far left, Israel is just a US sock puppet so the US has supreme power over Israeli policy.

I think he was more puzzled over protesting for reproductive and gay rights at the Democrats' convention.

garbon

If the people interviewed in this article are representative, sounds like they should be ignored. :wacko: 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/aug/19/chicacgo-dnc-protests-gaza-wacker-drive-michigan-avenue

Quote...
Some protesters at the march, organized by groups like Bodies Against Unjust Laws, have come explicitly to "Disrupt the DNC", arguing that American support for Israel in the Gaza war was tantamount to genocide and that the Democratic party was indistinguishable from Republicans and equally unworthy of political support.

"The rhetoric that comes out of the mouths of politicians – and I'm not saying that some of it isn't sincere in the wish to defend reproductive justice, or for trans and queer people, or even for citizens on the ground in Gaza – but rhetoric does not stop the bombs from falling," says Linda Loew, a protest leader.

"Rhetoric does not deliver abortion care from someone in a state that has a six-week abortion ban. What we need is action. We need the end to funding to Israel and the end of delivery of weapons."

It didn't matter to some of these protesters if the nominee was Joe Biden or Kamala Harris.

"There's no indication that there is much of a difference at this point," says Megan Behrent, a college professor in New York, about Biden and Harris, and said she would vote third party.

"I just kind of expect that in the lead up to this kind of election, the kind of focus on the lesser evil always starts dominating politics," she says.

"And for good reason. Trump is, you know, a nightmare. But for me, the most important thing is to maintain an independent kind of organizing voice, to continue to raise the issues that matter."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tamas on August 19, 2024, 02:05:25 AMI think he was more puzzled over protesting for reproductive and gay rights at the Democrats' convention.

It's kinda like storming the convention hall and demanding that people vote for Harris.

Valmy

QuoteRhetoric does not deliver abortion care from someone in a state that has a six-week abortion ban.

No. What does is voting for the political party that will legalize delivering abortion care.

Yet you are against that and instead want rhetoric. Odd.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 19, 2024, 02:30:24 AM
Quote from: Tamas on August 19, 2024, 02:05:25 AMI think he was more puzzled over protesting for reproductive and gay rights at the Democrats' convention.

It's kinda like storming the convention hall and demanding that people vote for Harris.

Same sort of thing as with Israel maybe?
No recognition that the Democrats are by far the better of the two. Just focusing on areas where they could be better thus are worst than Hitler?
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on August 19, 2024, 03:09:33 AMSame sort of thing as with Israel maybe?
No recognition that the Democrats are by far the better of the two. Just focusing on areas where they could be better thus are worst than Hitler?

Palestine make much more sense than abortion.  People can be more pro Palestine than the Democratic party.  How the hell can you be more pro abortion than the Democratic party?  Requiring people to have abortions?

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 19, 2024, 03:12:10 AM
Quote from: Josquius on August 19, 2024, 03:09:33 AMSame sort of thing as with Israel maybe?

Palestine make much more sense than abortion.  People can be more pro Palestine than the Democratic party.  How the hell can you be more pro abortion than the Democratic party?  Requiring people to have abortions?

Abortion laws aren't FFA, there are time limitations and many also have some kind of additional requirements/procedural red tape in place. You can easily push for more expansive laws without "requiring people to have abortions".

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on August 19, 2024, 03:34:24 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 19, 2024, 03:12:10 AM

Abortion laws aren't FFA, there are time limitations and many also have some kind of additional requirements/procedural red tape in place. You can easily push for more expansive laws without "requiring people to have abortions".

So a let's arrange the deck chairs moment?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on August 19, 2024, 03:34:24 AMAbortion laws aren't FFA, there are time limitations and many also have some kind of additional requirements/procedural red tape in place. You can easily push for more expansive laws without "requiring people to have abortions".

Fair enough.  Someone could consider Roe v Wade too restrictive and want on demand abortion in the 9th month.  That would put them in opposition to abortion policy in Democratic controlled states (I think).  The other part sounds like parental notifications and waiting periods and ultrasounds and required prosperity gospel counseling in Republican states.  And the specific thing our activist friend mentioned was six week laws in Republican states.  So why the fuck is she protesting that in Chicago?

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 19, 2024, 03:53:04 AM
Quote from: celedhring on August 19, 2024, 03:34:24 AMAbortion laws aren't FFA, there are time limitations and many also have some kind of additional requirements/procedural red tape in place. You can easily push for more expansive laws without "requiring people to have abortions".

Fair enough.  Someone could consider Roe v Wade too restrictive and want on demand abortion in the 9th month.  That would put them in opposition to abortion policy in Democratic controlled states (I think).  The other part sounds like parental notifications and waiting periods and ultrasounds and required prosperity gospel counseling in Republican states.  And the specific thing our activist friend mentioned was six week laws in Republican states.  So why the fuck is she protesting that in Chicago?

Yeah, Spain just struck down parent notification and it has been controversial. But what I mean is that there's space to the left to expand abortion laws. But I agree with garbon that protesting that at a Democratic convention seems a bit too precious right now.

Razgovory

The Pro-Pals see Israel as the nexus of oppression, it is the lynch-pin of all the evils in the world.  They genuinely believe that you can bring back abortion access to the US by destroying Israel.  This is who they are.  It's the same sort of behavior we saw at the University protests.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on August 19, 2024, 09:54:28 AMThe Pro-Pals see Israel as the nexus of oppression, it is the lynch-pin of all the evils in the world.  They genuinely believe that you can bring back abortion access to the US by destroying Israel.  This is who they are.  It's the same sort of behavior we saw at the University protests.

I think you are being a little disingenuous by claiming this is some kind of essential quality of every single person protesting Israel's actions.

I mean I am sure a load of them are insane. They are my fellow Americans after all.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."