And we're back!

Main Menu

2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Norgy on August 08, 2024, 06:10:00 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 08, 2024, 05:55:45 PM[
Separately - I get this sounds trivial but it feels non-trivial that Trump hasn't yet come up with a nickname for Harris or Walz.

Laffin' Kamala. He spelled it out like six year old at a spelling bee.

I am still waiting for the Scorsese movie "The Last Walz", getting The Band together.

I've seen them try Scamala, Shamala, Kamabla (this one I don't even get the pun).

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: garbon on August 09, 2024, 02:24:39 AMTheir freak out appears to be that he had them stocked in boys restrooms too. Another trans panic. :(
I should have known.  :bleeding:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Josquius

Old guy thinks about teenage girls. There's something in that I guess.
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Josquius on August 09, 2024, 03:58:51 AMOld guy thinks about teenage girls. There's something in that I guees.
Definitely *not* an avenue the Trump Team wants to pursue. Between his comments about his daughter, his actions during the Miss Teen USA, Epstein connections, and being a rapist, ensuring that young folks have access to tampons in school is less than nothing.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on August 09, 2024, 07:17:18 AMDefinitely *not* an avenue the Trump Team wants to pursue. Between his comments about his daughter, his actions during the Miss Teen USA, Epstein connections, and being a rapist, ensuring that young folks have access to tampons in school is less than nothing.

You still don't get how these guys operate.  It's precisely because Trump is so vulnerable on that issue that they will take the offensive and project it on his opponent. They also know the Fox News bubble will completely insulate Trump from any countercharges.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Norgy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 09, 2024, 07:29:34 AM
Quote from: Sophie Scholl on August 09, 2024, 07:17:18 AMDefinitely *not* an avenue the Trump Team wants to pursue. Between his comments about his daughter, his actions during the Miss Teen USA, Epstein connections, and being a rapist, ensuring that young folks have access to tampons in school is less than nothing.

You still don't get how these guys operate.  It's precisely because Trump is so vulnerable on that issue that they will take the offensive and project it on his opponent. They also know the Fox News bubble will completely insulate Trump from any countercharges.

I still have a problem with Fox News being called "news".
But they do build him up.
In any other country, journalism, the real kind, would have destroyed the man that is Donald Trump. He'd be gone from politics, like Boris Johnson is dead in the water.

And you also have the rather misnomered Newsmax network. Which is basically Goebbels with an American accent.

Jacob

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 09, 2024, 07:29:34 AM

I'm not sure it's going to work in this case "provided menstrual products to teenage girls (and boys)" is not on the nose enough to counter "is a perv to teenage girls" - and bringing it up preemptively only opens the "perv" conversation more widely.

The classic strategy, I'd think, would be to allege that Walz or Harris are pervs in some way. Providing sanitary pads and tampons is not on the nose enough IMO.

jimmy olsen

https://x.com/NateSilver538/status/1822234238134977022
https://x.com/NateSilver538/status/1821994617388060700

Quote from: Nate SilverIt won't affect our statistical model, but should it affect your mental model of the race that the Trump campaign is acting like it believes it's losing? Maybe a little bit.

Main polling news today was from Nevada, where Harris is now a 57 percent favorite. Major reversal from Biden who was polling terribly there.

https://x.com/gregtsargent/status/1822224739940589594
Quote from: Greg SargentWhoa. New NYT/Siena polls of likely voters:

Pennsylvania:
Harris 50
Trump 46

Wisconsin
Harris 50
Trump 46

Michigan
Harris 50
Trump 46

(yes, the spread is the same in all three states)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Norgy

Polling data is one thing, but I would say this looks bleak for the GOP.
 :perv:

HVC

CNN is a GOP sleeper cell, right? No one gives trump more air time.  Probably even edge out Fox News.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

Walz just said that the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is illegitimate until Warren Zevon is admitted.  He just locked in my vote!  :lol:

(I'm a bit surprised that he knows who Warren Zevon is)
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Some good news for your weekend

QuoteIf there were any doubt whether Kamala Harris has transformed this year's presidential election, this morning's latest New York Times/Siena College polls put it to rest.

In our first swing state polls since her entry into the race, Vice President Harris leads Donald J. Trump by four points each in Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin among likely voters. It's a major shift from previous Times/Siena polls, which found Mr. Trump leading Ms. Harris and President Biden by an average of one or two points each across the same three states.

Norgy

Quote from: grumbler on August 10, 2024, 11:37:05 AMWalz just said that the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is illegitimate until Warren Zevon is admitted.  He just locked in my vote!  :lol:

(I'm a bit surprised that he knows who Warren Zevon is)

RIP Bylandt. :cry:

CountDeMoney