News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Best sports movie of all time

Started by celedhring, July 28, 2024, 07:19:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Time to settle this once and for all: Which is the best sports movie of all time?

Raging Bull
6 (28.6%)
Rocky
7 (33.3%)
Bull Durham
2 (9.5%)
Field of Dreams
2 (9.5%)
The Natural
1 (4.8%)
The Bad News Bears
0 (0%)
Hoosiers
2 (9.5%)
Moneyball
1 (4.8%)
Fat City
1 (4.8%)
Victory!
1 (4.8%)
Slap Shot
1 (4.8%)
Caddyshack
1 (4.8%)
A League of Their Own
3 (14.3%)
Friday Night Lights
1 (4.8%)
White Men Can't Jump
0 (0%)
Miracle
0 (0%)
Bend it Like Beckham
1 (4.8%)
The Longest Yard (original)
0 (0%)
Karate Kid
0 (0%)
When we Were Kings
1 (4.8%)
Hoop Dreams
2 (9.5%)
Pride of the Yankees
0 (0%)
Chariots of Fire
2 (9.5%)
Other (Name it)
5 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Sheilbh

Quote from: Norgy on July 28, 2024, 09:06:07 AMI think "The Damned United" was one of the best sports movies I have seen. Michael Sheen's version of Brian Clough was eerily like watching the man himself. But it is a rather niche film, since you'd really had to have a relationship to 1970s English football.  :bowler:
The book's outstanding too - also his Red Riding Quartet.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

My favorite on the list is definitely When We Were Kings, but documentaries aren't really comparable to other movies IMHO.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

On the list - absolutely Hoop Dreams.

Love that film.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

What?  No "Men With Brooms", the Canadian curling movie (it's in the Olympics!) starring Paul Gross and Leslie Nielsen?  :P

I love curling, but it wasn't that good a movie.

I'm voting Field of Dreams, Slap Shot and Friday Night Lights.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Friday Night Lights TV show is one of my go to comfort re-watches. I love that show (except for the second season which is very obviously impacted by the strike :lol:).
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: The Brain on July 28, 2024, 04:12:44 PMMy favorite on the list is definitely When We Were Kings, but documentaries aren't really comparable to other movies IMHO.

Yeah I was torn whether to include them, but both When We Were Kings and Hoop Dreams are just way too good.

Tonitrus

A couple more options...

- Rudy
- The Best of Times

Josquius

Escape to victory of course  :bowler:

Mike basset is worth mentioning seriously.

This sporting life was good too.

There's probably some good  foreign ones but I cannot recall.
██████
██████
██████

Norgy

Quote from: Josquius on July 29, 2024, 01:47:12 AMMike basset is worth mentioning seriously.

It manages to stay relevant every time England qualifies. Ricky Tomlinson is a very good actor and there are some scenes both in the movie and in "Mike Bassett: League Manager" that make me giggle when I think about them.

It takes all the football tropes, like the hair-dryer teamtalk and the utterly unsympathetic press into a satire that is borderline believable. There are these neat little touches, such as Norwich winning "The Mister Clutch" cup, Tonka (who is basically Paul Gascoigne) and the utterly useless assistant Doddsy.

Sheilbh

It's very good. The open top bus parade accidentally turning onto a motorway too :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Norgy

Now that looks interesting. I can almost hear the lawsuits coming already.

Savonarola

College (1927) of course; if nothing else, the final gag is among the darkest and funniest in cinema.

Unfortunately American Football isn't played at the Olympics, so the other classic, The Freshman can't be included.    :(

;)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Caliga

Rocky and Raging Bull are in a league of their own. :contract:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.