News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Best sports movie of all time

Started by celedhring, July 28, 2024, 07:19:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Time to settle this once and for all: Which is the best sports movie of all time?

Raging Bull
6 (28.6%)
Rocky
7 (33.3%)
Bull Durham
2 (9.5%)
Field of Dreams
2 (9.5%)
The Natural
1 (4.8%)
The Bad News Bears
0 (0%)
Hoosiers
2 (9.5%)
Moneyball
1 (4.8%)
Fat City
1 (4.8%)
Victory!
1 (4.8%)
Slap Shot
1 (4.8%)
Caddyshack
1 (4.8%)
A League of Their Own
3 (14.3%)
Friday Night Lights
1 (4.8%)
White Men Can't Jump
0 (0%)
Miracle
0 (0%)
Bend it Like Beckham
1 (4.8%)
The Longest Yard (original)
0 (0%)
Karate Kid
0 (0%)
When we Were Kings
1 (4.8%)
Hoop Dreams
2 (9.5%)
Pride of the Yankees
0 (0%)
Chariots of Fire
2 (9.5%)
Other (Name it)
5 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

celedhring

To celebrate the Olympics, another movie poll!

What counts as a "sport" can be very muddy, so my informal rule is that if it has been featured at the Olympics (Winter or Summer) semi-regularly, then it gets in. So no billiards, pro wrestling, or motorsports.

My personal winnner is Raging Bull, which is one of my favorie movies of all time. But if I had to go for a "traditional" sports movie ("underdog beats all odds and becomes champ*"), I guess it's gotta be Rocky.

*or nearly

Obviously the field is huge, so I'm giving everybody 3 votes.

Nearly half the candidates are either boxing or baseball movies, but those are the most cinematic sports of all. Futbol movies suck for some reason :(

Norgy

Torn between "Raging Bull" and "Chariots of fire", really.

Admiral Yi

Hoosiers, Raging Bull, Mr. Baseball edging out Bull Durham.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

BB is away so I will mention Men With Brooms for him.

Norgy

I think "The Damned United" was one of the best sports movies I have seen. Michael Sheen's version of Brian Clough was eerily like watching the man himself. But it is a rather niche film, since you'd really had to have a relationship to 1970s English football.  :bowler:

Maladict

Maladict

Quote from: Norgy on July 28, 2024, 09:06:07 AMI think "The Damned United" was one of the best sports movies I have seen. Michael Sheen's version of Brian Clough was eerily like watching the man himself. But it is a rather niche film, since you'd really had to have a relationship to 1970s English football.  :bowler:

I thought it was a great film, and I was unfamiliar with any of the characters.

Duque de Bragança

Victory! is Escape to Victory, of course.  :P

Norgy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 28, 2024, 10:13:06 AMVictory! is Escape to Victory, of course.  :P

The one with Pelé AND Sylvester Stallone? Let's just say, it has not aged well.

Duque de Bragança

I disagree. It's not that it did not age well, it was already... problematic unless seen through the eyes of a football-loving child. It may be still used in debates when somebody claims not singing the anthem is not "respecting" it, there are other ways to do so...  :ph34r:

Last screening at the Cinémathèque mixed up the reels so we had a post-modern editing experience.

celedhring

Quote from: Norgy on July 28, 2024, 10:31:43 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 28, 2024, 10:13:06 AMVictory! is Escape to Victory, of course.  :P

The one with Pelé AND Sylvester Stallone? Let's just say, it has not aged well.

It's not a terribly good movie, to be honest. I put it there because of the amazing cast and that I'm partial to the sport. This one and Bend it Like Beckham are about the only notable football movies I could come up with :D Damned United would've been a decent pick, but I blanked on that one.

That said, there just aren't supergreat football movies. I guess it's a hard sport to put into film. Few scoring actions, lots of players to keep track of... Best way to approach it is probably with the off-the-pitch drama, like Damned United or Ted Lasso.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sophie Scholl

Field of Dreams, A League of Their Own, and, my favorite and not listed, The Legend of Bagger Vance. Each is important to me in different ways. Field of Dreams for my relationship with my dad and A League of Their Own for my relationship with my sister. Bagger is just... amazing. I've found myself scrolling through and finding it is on and, almost without fail, I'll watch the rest of it.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Norgy

With all the George Best clips, I think T2: Trainspotting might even qualify as a sports movie.