Refractory Gauls, or the French politics thread

Started by Duque de Bragança, June 26, 2021, 11:58:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: HVC on July 18, 2024, 10:46:43 AMThe desire to crown yourself emperor doesn't exactly portray a man looking for peace and tranquility :D
The crowning formula was varied to use a plural form ("Coronet vos..." instead of "Coronet te..."), precisely because the Coronation of Joséphine followed immediately after the assumption of the Crown by Napoleon. As for the omitted Roman formula Accipe coronam..., which depicted the monarch as receiving his crown from the Church, its use would have clashed with Napoleon's decision to crown himself. Historian J. David Markham, who also serves as head of the International Napoleonic Society,[13] alleged in his book Napoleon For Dummies "Napoleon's detractors like to say that he snatched the crown from the pope, or that this was an act of unbelievable arrogance, but neither of those charges holds water. The most likely explanation is that Napoleon was symbolizing that he was becoming emperor based on his own merits and the will of the people, and not in the name of a religious consecration. The pope knew about this move from the beginning and had no objection (not that it would have mattered)

From Wikipedia, but it's sourced.  He never took the crown from the Pope.  He crowned himself to distinguish his reign from the monarchy.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

I didn't mean physically making himself emperor by taking the crown, I meant the desire to be emperor at all :D wasn't satisfied "just" being a king.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on July 18, 2024, 02:14:15 PMI didn't mean physically making himself emperor by taking the crown, I meant the desire to be emperor at all :D wasn't satisfied "just" being a king.
Yeah and even on those terms, while that is a fair point by the head of the International Napoleonic Society. But I don't think the main thing people are observing in Napoleon crowning himself isn't that he "snatched the crown from the pope" but the symbolic meaning of crowning himself.

It certainly includes that he was becoming emperor on his own merits - but I think it's suggestive of more than just that :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

All I need to know is that the Hungarian nobility was against Napoleon, so he couldn't had been too bad

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 18, 2024, 03:43:55 AMI'm not an expert (and more pro-Napoleon than 99% of Brits), so I think there were points there could be durable peace - but that would require some form of reconciliation and role for the UK who weren't going to be locked out. But in general I think successful military commanders who come to power will always be likely to do a bit of conquering and war making. It was their route to success.

Britain had its peace in 1802-1803.  It was the UK that started what would become the War of the Third Coalition, not Napoleon, and did so for entirely self-interested purposes, not to defend anyone from the evil Boney.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: HVC on July 18, 2024, 10:46:43 AMThe desire to crown yourself emperor doesn't exactly portray a man looking for peace and tranquility :D

It's precisely to achieve peace and stability that he did so.  There had been several assassination attempts and he felt that he needed the power to name his own successor in order to ensure that a successful assassination would not result in civil war.  Note also that he was "Emperor of the French," not "Emperor of France."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

If Napoleon had really cared about succession, he would have followed the Roman example who forms he parroted and named an adopted successor from one of his leading marshals or statesmen.  Instead, there was a revolving door of his Corsican mafia siblings, with Joseph effectively out when installed in Spain and Louis being banished. Louis was probably the best of them but committed the unforgivable crimes of not groveling to his brother. Statesmanlike concern for the good of the commonwealth does not seem to have been the key motivating factor.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Quote from: grumbler on July 18, 2024, 04:08:54 PMBritain had its peace in 1802-1803.  It was the UK that started what would become the War of the Third Coalition, not Napoleon, and did so for entirely self-interested purposes, not to defend anyone from the evil Boney.
But Britain existed and had interests, just like Austria and Russia. The interests were different as an off-shore imperial power but I think Napoleon was far less able to ever accept them (or understand them possibly).

As I say any durable peace would need to involve reconciliation and a role for the British in Europe - denying that or attempting to freeze them out was an inevitable path to war. And if you manage to get the British and Russians to ally then you've fucked up in some way.

QuoteIf Napoleon had really cared about succession, he would have followed the Roman example who forms he parroted and named an adopted successor from one of his leading marshals or statesmen.  Instead, there was a revolving door of his Corsican mafia siblings, with Joseph effectively out when installed in Spain and Louis being banished. Louis was probably the best of them but committed the unforgivable crimes of not groveling to his brother. Statesmanlike concern for the good of the commonwealth does not seem to have been the key motivating factor.
I only know anything about this from Simon Schama's Patriots and Liberators and I found Louis very sympathetic.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 18, 2024, 04:56:35 PMIf Napoleon had really cared about succession, he would have followed the Roman example who forms he parroted and named an adopted successor from one of his leading marshals or statesmen.  Instead, there was a revolving door of his Corsican mafia siblings, with Joseph effectively out when installed in Spain and Louis being banished. Louis was probably the best of them but committed the unforgivable crimes of not groveling to his brother. Statesmanlike concern for the good of the commonwealth does not seem to have been the key motivating factor.

He was pretty straightforward about trying to establish some sort of Bonaparte dynasty, that somehow that would secure his legacy and make it unlikely somebody would assassinate him.

How that did that beyond just naming Marshall Massena, or whomever, as his successor I don't know. Maybe he was concerned a pro-Massena faction would overthrow him and that was unlikely to happen to install Lucien.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on July 18, 2024, 02:14:15 PMI didn't mean physically making himself emperor by taking the crown, I meant the desire to be emperor at all :D wasn't satisfied "just" being a king.

Emperor had a Roman thing going and the French Republic was comparing itself a lot to the Roman Republic.

I mean he wasn't exactly shy on the Caesar symbology.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Josquius

So I hear mega Olympics security restrictions have started in Paris which is basically the 15 minute city conspiracy nonsense made real with needing QR codes to get into different parts of the city?
Gallic conspiracy nuts going off it?
██████
██████
██████

HVC

On the funnier (?) Side of the olympics the athletes are displeased with the antisex cardboard beds :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

But...the sex in the Olympic Village is weirdly one of the most wholesome parts of the Olympics.

All those people from all over the world coming together to hook up for two magical weeks :wub:

How could Paris, of all places, crack down on that?  :(

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on July 22, 2024, 08:57:22 PMAll those people from all over the world coming together to hook up for two magical weeks :wub:

Where STDs from around the world come to compete and see who's the strongest  :perv: