News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What's your escape plan?

Started by Josquius, June 28, 2024, 04:06:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Oexmelin on June 28, 2024, 12:55:02 PMYes.

However, I do not know many (i.e., zero) people who moved because of "an annoying or stupid policy". Tax havens are a known problem.

You must have met a number of people who fled the US in the late 60s to early 70s. 

I had a number of professors who fit that description.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: HVC on June 30, 2024, 03:30:44 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 30, 2024, 03:21:33 PMThe idea any of you would need an escape plan is fake and dumb.

What if the Hamas controlled dems take over? :ph34r:

It shouldn't be too hard to blend in either way. It's "Allahu Akbar Death to Israel" vs. "Jews will not replace us." Six of one, half dozen of the other.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Oexmelin

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 30, 2024, 06:57:41 PMYou must have met a number of people who fled the US in the late 60s to early 70s. 

In Canada? I am a bit younger, and there were not many ex-Americans teaching in French...
The only one I met (and knew about her story) was the late Natalie Zemon Davis. Americans teaching at McGill when I was there tended to be conservative (or too young to have fled anything).

In any case, fleeing the draft, or McCarthyism feel somewhat different than fleeing "a stupid policy" - at least how I understood BB's point.
Que le grand cric me croque !

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 30, 2024, 06:57:41 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on June 28, 2024, 12:55:02 PMYes.

However, I do not know many (i.e., zero) people who moved because of "an annoying or stupid policy". Tax havens are a known problem.

You must have met a number of people who fled the US in the late 60s to early 70s. 

Those people are idiots if they were fleeing the Vietnam era draft. Anyone with two functioning brain cells could get deferments or exemptions or other shit to get out of that.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Oexmelin on June 30, 2024, 10:53:11 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 30, 2024, 06:57:41 PMYou must have met a number of people who fled the US in the late 60s to early 70s. 

In Canada? I am a bit younger, and there were not many ex-Americans teaching in French...
The only one I met (and knew about her story) was the late Natalie Zemon Davis. Americans teaching at McGill when I was there tended to be conservative (or too young to have fled anything).

In any case, fleeing the draft, or McCarthyism feel somewhat different than fleeing "a stupid policy" - at least how I understood BB's point.

In what way is it different?  These were people who, as Otto so eloquently pointed out would have been eligible to avoid the draft.  But they left because they objected to the policies of the US.

We also see something similar in healthcare where US physicians come to Canada because they can no longer operate the profit driven care model in the US.

These numbers are low of course, but it us not accurate to say the hat nobody ever leaves the US over policy.

However the same thing is true in reverse.  We have had people leave for the US for similar but reverse reasons.  Including health care professionals where some would prefer the policy choices the US has made so that they can make more money.

Caliga

My parents told me the other week when I was visiting them in Jersey that my uncle recently bought a bunch of land in Costa Rica. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

OttoVonBismarck

There were certainly some actual draft dodgers that fled to Canada, a lot of them young men who just didn't know the system likely--there really were a lot of ways out of the draft. Sure, some were more open to the sons of privilege, but sometimes just doing some work to find a friendly doctor (which isn't something only open to the rich) could get you a Trump bone spurs exemption.

Also, you could just play the draft smart. Buddy of mine's dad was kind of a wash out in college, he got to senior year then dropped out, he was essentially going to be drafted imminently I believe because of how his deferments expired and etc. He just went to a Navy recruiter and was able to get some sort of plum MOS, I don't really know the specifics of how it worked back in 1970, but it was still possible then to volunteer into a role that was very unlikely to result in a combat deployment. He served out his enlistment in Italy.

A much older cousin than me also had a bad draft number and just signed up to join the Air Force, he served out the war as an mechanic in Thailand. Actually getting put into infantry and sent to patrol the jungles largely required a complete absence of imagination or forethought.

Certainly some number of people just left the U.S. out of distaste for American policy more than a genuine fear of being drafted / inability to avoid it.

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on July 01, 2024, 11:15:22 AMMy parents told me the other week when I was visiting them in Jersey that my uncle recently bought a bunch of land in Costa Rica. :hmm:

I mean you might just want to move there anyway  :)
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on July 01, 2024, 12:48:19 PM
Quote from: Caliga on July 01, 2024, 11:15:22 AMMy parents told me the other week when I was visiting them in Jersey that my uncle recently bought a bunch of land in Costa Rica. :hmm:

I mean you might just want to move there anyway  :)

He's got a hankering for Latinas  :yes:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

I was thinking more about other kinds of scenery  :P

Besides Cal is married -_-

Can't speak on his uncle though  :lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Depending on what the calamity driving relocation is, possible options are:

Ottawa or Toronto if we are talking major West Coast earthquake or attacks on the Pacific Coastline.

Rural BC if we are talking all cities under attack - but I'm not much of a survivalist so it's probably a bit of a stretch unless it's a general thing done in BC.

Denmark (and the EU) if it's a Canada or North America specific calamity. I suppose we could seek to enter the US if it was just Canada that got fucked, but we don't have any particular advantage there I don't think.

If the entire Western world was fucked, I suppose we have a bit of a chance to go to the PRC - but it would have to be a pretty unique and terrible combination of events for that to seem a good idea.

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on July 01, 2024, 12:55:59 PMI was thinking more about other kinds of scenery  :P

Besides Cal is married -_-

Can't speak on his uncle though  :lol:

I was thinking the uncle, but I dint think Cal would be adverse to a well endowed latin lady :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on June 30, 2024, 05:56:35 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 30, 2024, 03:21:33 PMThe idea any of you would need an escape plan is fake and dumb.

Yeah? Well what happens if I wait too long and Baltimore closes its borders?

I'll sponsor your visa, hon. HE'S WIFF ME

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Josquius on June 28, 2024, 04:06:12 AMWith things looking dark and fascism on the rise across a large chunk of the world, an obvious question emerges.

Imagine your country is next in the firing line - for some of us little imagining required - things are turning very very bad. For some reason you imagine you will be amongst those to suffer.

What is your escape plan? Realistically where would you go?
Imagining here a world where everything is as it is today but your particular country goes a bit Gilead.
Not doing anything about my spiraling blood pressure.
PDH!

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on July 01, 2024, 12:48:19 PMI mean you might just want to move there anyway  :)
My cousin already did.  Apparently he's working as a model for surfware companies. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points