News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Civilization VII

Started by Syt, June 07, 2024, 08:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Syt on June 08, 2024, 01:03:57 PMWell, yeah. -_-

(Unless there's some egregious form of micro transactions or other monetization in place)

CIV7 published by Paradox  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Grey Fox

I never did buy Civ VI. The look and feel wasn't good enough for me to learn a new Civ system while I could just play V again.

Hopefully this 7 version will have a more interesting look.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Zanza

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 08, 2024, 03:25:27 PMI never did buy Civ VI. The look and feel wasn't good enough for me to learn a new Civ system while I could just play V again.

Hopefully this 7 version will have a more interesting look.
I think Civ VI had a lot of really good game mechanics, e.g. the events that push your research, the zones giving a new interesting optimization topic for your cities, different play styles for the different factions etc.

I wish they deepen some of these to add more variety.

Syt

Civ6 had a lot of features that I liked on paper, but the game never quite clicked for me.

Ironically, though, I have a few more hours in Civ6 than in Civ5, which is my favorite Civ in terms of gameplay.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

I have three times as much time in Civ VI compared to Civ V according to my Steam account. Both only a fraction of EU IV.   :ph34r:

Syt

Still haven't cracked 100 hours in EU4. :blush: Stellaris, CK3 and V3 are all beyond 400 hours, though (why do I have 800+ in Victoria :o ). I still have more hours in EU4 than in Imperator or HoI4, though. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on June 09, 2024, 11:50:46 AMCiv6 had a lot of features that I liked on paper, but the game never quite clicked for me.

Ironically, though, I have a few more hours in Civ6 than in Civ5, which is my favorite Civ in terms of gameplay.
Same for me.  This was the first Civ game where my mind went from "one more turn" to "jeez, not another turn".  I think one part of it was the district system, which made the game too much of an optimization puzzle.  It may be an interesting optimization puzzle, but it detracts from the strategy of the whole game.  My Steam stats show that I played Civ V almost 4 times as much as Civ VI, and this feels accurate.

barkdreg

If the district system or governors return in CIV7 I won't be buying it.
I really hated these features.

crazy canuck

What didn't you like about districts?

Zanza

Without the districts you built a city once in a good spot and then never really had to think about it again. How is that better than actually having to optimise it over time with a proper map based feature?  :hmm:

DGuller

Quote from: Zanza on June 11, 2024, 05:53:04 PMWithout the districts you built a city once in a good spot and then never really had to think about it again. How is that better than actually having to optimise it over time with a proper map based feature?  :hmm:
With districts you still build a city once in a good spot, but determining exactly where that spot is becomes a distracting minigame of its own.

Solmyr

You don't actually have to optimize anything out the wazoo (if you aren't playing on Deity or something). It's enough that your district gives some bonus.

Plus, isn't "finding a good spot to build a city" core gameplay of all Civ games? :P

DGuller

Do you "have to"?  No, of course not, you don't have to play the game either, no one is forcing you.  However, if I'm playing a strategy game, I need to know that I'm playing it the best I know how (excepting marginal improvements that cost a lot of QOL). 

I know that a juicy district/adjacency bonus synergy can smash the game, so voluntarily giving up on finding them would mean voluntarily accepting a substantial penalty.  I've never been a fan of self-imposed limitations on strategy in strategy games, I think it's on game designer to create a game where me trying to do the best I can aligns with getting the best enjoyment out of the game.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on June 12, 2024, 08:45:19 AMDo you "have to"?  No, of course not, you don't have to play the game either, no one is forcing you.  However, if I'm playing a strategy game, I need to know that I'm playing it the best I know how (excepting marginal improvements that cost a lot of QOL). 

I know that a juicy district/adjacency bonus synergy can smash the game, so voluntarily giving up on finding them would mean voluntarily accepting a substantial penalty.  I've never been a fan of self-imposed limitations on strategy in strategy games, I think it's on game designer to create a game where me trying to do the best I can aligns with getting the best enjoyment out of the game.

And that's your preference.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.