2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Trump's schtick really falls flat in a place like a courtroom where he simply screaming that it isn't true isn't sufficient. He actually needs evidence and stuff.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

He's not screaming for the court, though. He's screaming for his acolytes, to provide them arguments they can deploy to justify keeping their faith.

Tonitrus

I am sure the Trump-as-Jesus on the Cross memes are already being pumped out.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on May 30, 2024, 11:51:41 PMHe's not screaming for the court, though. He's screaming for his acolytes, to provide them arguments they can deploy to justify keeping their faith.

Well yes. His schtick works great with them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on May 30, 2024, 11:51:41 PMHe's not screaming for the court, though. He's screaming for his acolytes, to provide them arguments they can deploy to justify keeping their faith.

He tried it in court as well. But the judge shut that down.

Caliga

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 30, 2024, 08:53:39 PMThe GOP won't vote for a convicted felon, right?

J/k
But IT'S RIGGED!!!!!111111111111oneoneone
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on May 30, 2024, 09:43:08 PMTrump's schtick really falls flat in a place like a courtroom where he simply screaming that it isn't true isn't sufficient. He actually needs evidence and stuff.
I think the criminal courts or facing off against the state.

From what I've read about Trump he has very successfully used the civil courts as a weapon throughout his career.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 31, 2024, 08:59:25 AMHow so?

Losing twice to Carroll and once to the NYAG was all part of his cunning plan to flood New York state with his money and cause an inflationary spiral that will take down Biden.

And don't forget his crushing $3 verdict against the NFL.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

I remember reading a piece about, which I can't find, but he's basically been involved in about 3,500 lawsuits. All with the Roy Cohn style strategy of always attacking. If you're sued counter-claim aggressively, attack every stage in claims you're defending. It's not about winning legally or anything like that but attriting your enemies (especially if they don't have the resources, time and patience of the state).

The same way the law is always a weapon for the rich.

I think that doesn't work against the state and I think it probably doesn't work since 2016 because it will normally be worth it for opponents to keep going (and they may not have the normal motivations of a civil case).
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 31, 2024, 12:22:31 AMI am sure the Trump-as-Jesus on the Cross memes are already being pumped out.

The one I've seen has Jesus putting his hands on Trump's shoulders saying "They called me a criminal too".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 31, 2024, 09:17:48 AM
I remember reading a piece about, which I can't find, but he's basically been involved in about 3,500 lawsuits. All with the Roy Cohn style strategy of always attacking. If you're sued counter-claim aggressively, attack every stage in claims you're defending. It's not about winning legally or anything like that but attriting your enemies (especially if they don't have the resources, time and patience of the state).

The same way the law is always a weapon for the rich.

I think that doesn't work against the state and I think it probably doesn't work since 2016 because it will normally be worth it for opponents to keep going (and they may not have the normal motivations of a civil case).

I think I remember the piece you are talking about.  It was not that Trump was able to use the civil law as a weapon so much as he has been able to find lawyers who were willing to be disbarred.

Sheilbh

Yeah - but from my understanding if Trump hadn't become President there's no reason to think Michael Cohen (his lawyer for a decade) was about to be disbarred or that any other Trump lawyer really ran that risk. There were always lawyers willing to do the work - and my understanding is the main issue with Trump was his relaxed approach to paying bills.

If the reason the rich can't use law as a weapon is the personal integrity of the legal profession we're in a worse position than I imagined :P (Edit: Or, perhaps, the rich have enough money to override those issues.)
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 31, 2024, 12:18:26 PMYeah - but from my understanding if Trump hadn't become President there's no reason to think Michael Cohen (his lawyer for a decade) was about to be disbarred or that any other Trump lawyer really ran that risk. There were always lawyers willing to do the work - and my understanding is the main issue with Trump was his relaxed approach to paying bills.

If the reason the rich can't use law as a weapon is the personal integrity of the legal profession we're in a worse position than I imagined :P (Edit: Or, perhaps, the rich have enough money to override those issues.)

Yeah it's funny how all of Trump's legal issues can really be traced to becoming President - even the ones that pre-date his Presidency.

He could have easily just stayed in Trump Tower making seasons of The Apprentice every once in a while and keep up with being a B-list celebrity.  But no - his ego insisted he try to become the most powerful man in the world, and see where it's led him to.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.