Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on March 15, 2024, 03:13:07 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 15, 2024, 02:08:23 PMYou also don't have to participate in all conversations.
I reckon that, if it was a conversation they wanted me in on, they'd ensure that it was in a language in which I could effectively communicate.  I don't mind being left out if that's what they want.

I've always been of two minds when dealing with someone who is bilingual, while I am unilingual.

I've been there when I enter a group of people all speaking a second language (in this case French) who now all feel obligated to switch to English to talk to each other - even though their first language is all French.  And I feel bad that just one anglo has to affect a whole bunch of people.

But there's also the exchange above - I'm not going to complain that you're talking in French, but you're also clearly not trying to communicate with me so I just ignore it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: Zoupa on March 15, 2024, 03:38:11 PMAmericans knowing more than 1 language challenge: impossible.
If Americans pick a second language it's not likely to be French.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 15, 2024, 04:48:42 PMI wonder what percentage of Americans speak at least two languages?  My bet is it is large.

But if the second language isn't French, it doesn't count as a language.  :frog:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HVC

Being snobby because your parents happened to speak a different language than the majority seems odd to me. And that's coming from someone bilingual* because of such a situation :lol:

*crapyily trilingual if you want to get technical :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: Razgovory on March 15, 2024, 05:00:09 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on March 15, 2024, 03:38:11 PMAmericans knowing more than 1 language challenge: impossible.

Chinese :yes: :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Josquius

English speakers get too much shit about monolingualism.
Its just a fact that it's our advantage /curse that English is the international language and we can accomplish tonnes in life without having to learn a language :which would be a huge barrier in all aspects of life for others.

The main place I found this arrogance was Japanese speaking Americans in Japan.
So dismissive when say a German asks if they can get by in English there. Despite that being the normal thing in most of the world.

Though I'm also reminded of a weird conversation with some expats in Lausanne dissing on me for my distaste for/inability to comprehensibly speak French, asking if I even knew a language... I said Japanese. One said "no a real language".
██████
██████
██████

Josquius

And hilariously Google translate has just popped up on the previous page asking if it wants me to translate the page to English  :lol:
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: HVC on March 15, 2024, 05:10:12 PM

I picked something actually useful, Latin.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HVC

Quote from: Josquius on March 15, 2024, 05:14:47 PMThough I'm also reminded of a weird conversation with some expats in Lausanne dissing on me for my distaste for/inability to comprehensibly speak French, asking if I even knew a language... I said Japanese. One said "no a real language".

To be fair most westerners who speak Japanese are weebs, so I get the disdain :D

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on March 15, 2024, 05:10:12 PM

EDIT:
fucking images that changes after you post it. 🤬
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Legbiter

It seems there's an enormous smoking incident/blowup involving a Russian refinery every day now.  :hmm: 
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Zoupa

Quote from: Barrister on March 15, 2024, 04:58:30 PM
Quote from: grumbler on March 15, 2024, 03:13:07 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 15, 2024, 02:08:23 PMYou also don't have to participate in all conversations.
I reckon that, if it was a conversation they wanted me in on, they'd ensure that it was in a language in which I could effectively communicate.  I don't mind being left out if that's what they want.

I've always been of two minds when dealing with someone who is bilingual, while I am unilingual.

I've been there when I enter a group of people all speaking a second language (in this case French) who now all feel obligated to switch to English to talk to each other - even though their first language is all French.  And I feel bad that just one anglo has to affect a whole bunch of people.

But there's also the exchange above - I'm not going to complain that you're talking in French, but you're also clearly not trying to communicate with me so I just ignore it.

Jesus Christ guys. Duque was just asking me which link for the documentary Jacob posted worked. We weren't having some secret anti-rosbif convention.

You all get so triggered...

CountDeMoney

Tamas

:lol: I just couldn't resist the chance for a Pulp Fiction reference, you French people go ahead and speak your funny tongue I don't mind.