Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

I'm seeing some discussion about Biden sending a bunch of equipment to Greece - which is apparently easier to do without GOP support as they're a NATO country - and Greece then giving a bunch of it to Ukraine.

Here's hoping it works out.

Zoupa

It's better than nothing, but the stuff Greece would be forwarding is all Soviet stuff from the 80s.

Jacob

Quote from: Zoupa on January 31, 2024, 01:02:35 PMIt's better than nothing, but the stuff Greece would be forwarding is all Soviet stuff from the 80s.

Oh I got the impression that they'd forward some of the American stuff directly. As you say, it's still better than nothing, but better stuff would be better.

PJL

But why send it to Greece and not Poland instead? Or would that be too obvious?

Jacob

Apparently Hungary has fallen in line and is supporting the EU Ukraine financing package, without getting the yearly veto they otherwise demanding.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on February 01, 2024, 01:02:49 PMApparently Hungary has fallen in line and is supporting the EU Ukraine financing package, without getting the yearly veto they otherwise demanding.

And they apparently took a bit of a beating too.  Good to see the rest of the EU grow more of a spine.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on February 01, 2024, 01:02:49 PMApparently Hungary has fallen in line and is supporting the EU Ukraine financing package, without getting the yearly veto they otherwise demanding.
Plus ca change. Same with Sweden's NATO membership - willing to push (ideally hiding behind someone else like Turkey) up to the point where there might be consequences and then folds.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 01, 2024, 01:09:39 PM
Plus ca change. Same with Sweden's NATO membership - willing to push (ideally hiding behind someone else like Turkey) up to the point where there might be consequences and then folds.

Wasn't there rumblings about removing Hungarians ability to vote/veto? Maybe he got scared.  thought I read that somewhere, or perhaps it was just a fevered dream.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on February 01, 2024, 01:52:34 PMWasn't there rumblings about removing Hungarians ability to vote/veto? Maybe he got scared.  thought I read that somewhere, or perhaps it was just a fevered dream.
Not really much more grumblings than normal. There was a push for it in the European Parliament, which got quite a lot of attention but the European Parliament has basically no role in that procedure - and their views were broadly already known.

Interestingly last week the FT reported that there were talks around basically imposing economic pain on Hungary to force the issue. Basically there was a strategy document doing the rounds that identified the vulnerabilities in Hungary's economy and how to hurt it (including possibly trying to start a run on its currency and collapse investor confidence). Obviously that's not really a procedure mandated in the treaties, but it's not a million miles away from what happened to Greece. Worth noting that others, such as the French government, absolutely denied that those talks were taking place or that such a document existed - but journalists from other outlets said that they'd not seen the document but this was absolutely being talked about by ambassadors and EU officials.

That might have prompted a shift in Orban's approach more than any formal legal fiddling.

And interesting to see support for Ukraine joining creating risk to the Euro as the absolute non-negotiables in the EU.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: PJL on January 31, 2024, 02:37:28 PMBut why send it to Greece and not Poland instead? Or would that be too obvious?

Poland already gave away all their Warsaw Pact stocks?
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

Just read that Wagner will be renamed. To Afrikakorps. Seriously.  :wacko:

Tamas

Quote from: Zanza on February 05, 2024, 01:13:54 PMJust read that Wagner will be renamed. To Afrikakorps. Seriously.  :wacko:

De-nazification is clearly going as planned.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.