Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on November 01, 2023, 07:34:04 PMIf you have a massive supply of something, you don't really need to budget it. Sort of like the situation the Ukrainians wish they were in re: artillery shells.

Sarcasm is just words, which are essentially infinite.  The constraint is imposed not by limited supply, but by reputational effects.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 01, 2023, 07:37:22 PMSarcasm is just words, which are essentially infinite.  The constraint is imposed not by limited supply, but by reputational effects.

So when budgeting sarcasm, you are essentially budgeting the reputational cost?

Makes senses.

HVC

But if your reputation is built on sarcasm then the use of it is beneficial, is it not?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Zoupa

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 01, 2023, 07:30:03 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on November 01, 2023, 07:24:38 PMI mean, you started by complaining that Ukraine used too many shells without doing a minimum of research.
How about you budget your sarcasm a little more wisely.

Have you not met me?  :P

But yeah, in all seriousness, triple shifts are indeed happening, but when the baseline is so low it doesn't amount to much.

Western supporters always say "we'll be with Ukraine for as long as it takes" when they should be saying WHATEVER it takes.

DGuller

Speaking of Western tactics, when was the last time they were tested against a peer army?  Are we sure they're going to work that well even for us if somehow the enemy manages to neutralize our air superiority?  It may be that the Western tactics may be very good at delivering devastating routs against inferior enemies, but are underwhelming against an opponent who can take a punch.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zoupa on November 01, 2023, 08:38:12 PMHave you not met me?  :P

In real life you're a cupcake.

Hey, for the record, nothing on you, but that Iranian food was some of the worst I've ever eaten.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 01, 2023, 09:12:08 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on November 01, 2023, 08:38:12 PMHave you not met me?  :P

In real life you're a cupcake.

Hey, for the record, nothing on you, but that Iranian food was some of the worst I've ever eaten.

And you live in the American mid-west. How horrid was it?

Zoupa

Threviel

Quote from: DGuller on November 01, 2023, 08:54:55 PMSpeaking of Western tactics, when was the last time they were tested against a peer army?  Are we sure they're going to work that well even for us if somehow the enemy manages to neutralize our air superiority?  It may be that the Western tactics may be very good at delivering devastating routs against inferior enemies, but are underwhelming against an opponent who can take a punch.

Yeah, but the only country capable of taking a punch is possibly China. The US alone is so superior to anything else that it's laughable. The rest of the western allies barely matter.

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on November 01, 2023, 08:54:55 PMSpeaking of Western tactics, when was the last time they were tested against a peer army?  Are we sure they're going to work that well even for us if somehow the enemy manages to neutralize our air superiority?  It may be that the Western tactics may be very good at delivering devastating routs against inferior enemies, but are underwhelming against an opponent who can take a punch.

That's always a risk, but Western tactics have continually evolved over the years as technology has changed, so it isn't a risk that they are ignoring.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 01, 2023, 06:30:11 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 31, 2023, 05:37:58 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 31, 2023, 05:07:27 PMI don't understand how a long war of attrition is a Russian defeat.  Ukraine is the one who only survives because the West is prepared to fund the war. 

Russia was in miserable shape before this war. Let's just ignore the whole disintegrating countryside due to corruption and misdirection of resources. Look at the Demographic situation alone. Russia just got thousands of their young people killed and drove a million more into exile. Now look at what this does to their diplomatic situation and trade.

It just boggles the mind that any of you look at this situations and think it is good. Would you want Canada run this way? Granted it would certainly reduce the housing prices.

I don't recall seeing anybody saying it's good. I am challenging the premise that it is a victory for Ukraine. Doesn't appear to be a victory for anybody, and Russia certainly has the ability to withstand a war of attrition better than Ukraine if the west stops funding the war. I'm not sure what is controversial about that point.

And now the first indication with the new Speaker that the GOP will no longer support Ukraine.

Grey Fox

As something happened today? Because the 1st indication is that the GOP will continue.

MJ spoke dropping it until he got his secret briefing and then it changed.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Bad vibes from Avdivka. Russian breakthroughs of the Ukrainian lines in the north.
Analysis I've read says this is far more important a battle than Bakmut. It actually has tactical value. Ukraine loses this town then they've lost Donetsk forever.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Forever is a strong word for an analyst to use.

Crazy_Ivan80

seems that Hezbollah as going to deliver arms to Russia...