Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy_Ivan80

Kerch bridge is smoking again, no news if it's an actual attack or something else

edit: and the north-koreans apparently delivered up to a millions shells. Here's to hoping most of them don't work

HVC

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on November 01, 2023, 02:13:54 PMedit: and the north-koreans apparently delivered up to a millions shells. Here's to hoping most of them don't work

Probably half of them are paper mache.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Legbiter

Quote from: HVC on November 01, 2023, 02:42:42 PMProbably half of them are paper mache.

Probably yeah but it gives the Russians enough to last out next year. Western shell production meanwhile is nowhere near what the Ukrainians need and the South Korean stockpile was burnt through this summer. :hmm: 
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

PJL

Quote from: Legbiter on November 01, 2023, 02:52:33 PM
Quote from: HVC on November 01, 2023, 02:42:42 PMProbably half of them are paper mache.

Probably yeah but it gives the Russians enough to last out next year. Western shell production meanwhile is nowhere near what the Ukrainians need and the South Korean stockpile was burnt through this summer. :hmm: 

That's one good side effect of the war - it's done more to demilitarise the Korean peninsula than anything else in the last 50 years.

Zoupa

Rejoice, France has TRIPLED its 155 mm artillery shell production!

... from 1 000 to 3 000 a month. And it's not like Ukraine is going to get 100% of those anyway. And they fire between 5-10 thousand shells a DAY.

The failure of European countries to supply Ukraine is such a short-sighted mistake. Fucking appalling.

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on November 01, 2023, 04:00:38 PMRejoice, France has TRIPLED its 155 mm artillery shell production!

... from 1 000 to 3 000 a month. And it's not like Ukraine is going to get 100% of those anyway. And they fire between 5-10 thousand shells a DAY.

The failure of European countries to supply Ukraine is such a short-sighted mistake. Fucking appalling.

I mean the way is over a year and a half old at this point, and artillery shells are not that complicated a technology - I ahve no idea why  the collective west hasn't been able to ramp up production.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Barrister on November 01, 2023, 04:10:10 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on November 01, 2023, 04:00:38 PMRejoice, France has TRIPLED its 155 mm artillery shell production!

I mean the way is over a year and a half old at this point, and artillery shells are not that complicated a technology - I ahve no idea why  the collective west hasn't been able to ramp up production.

because our politicians are incompetent on many levels

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on November 01, 2023, 04:10:10 PM

From what I've heard :because capitalism.

Arms companies won't invest 200 million in expanding production for a guaranteed 100 million government contract.
It's all a game of who will blink first and how the financial risk will be balanced.
For obvious reasons the companies want to maximise their profits out of all this so negotiations are dragging.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

I return to my old point that the Ukrainians might be firing off too many fucking shells.

Zoupa

Your point has been acknowledged and dismissed. They don't have air power and the frontline is like a 1000 kilometers.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zoupa on November 01, 2023, 05:31:32 PMYour point has been acknowledged and dismissed. They don't have air power and the frontline is like a 1000 kilometers.

Remind me where the five shells per kilometer formula comes from.  Was it Clausewitz or Jomini?

Zoupa

I'm sure you know better than the ill-equipped, 3 times smaller country that has repelled a superpower for the last 18 months.

Valmy

There is nothing particularly fancy about these shells right? They are basically the same sort of ordinance we have been manufacturing since WW1 right? How expensive could they be to make?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zoupa on November 01, 2023, 05:41:51 PMI'm sure you know better than the ill-equipped, 3 times smaller country that has repelled a superpower for the last 18 months.

That defense works against any criticism of the way Ukraine is fighting, doesn't it?

There was an article linked a while back about Ukraine's failure to employ combined arms fire and maneuver and substitute massive artillery shelling , and a more recent one about Ukraine's failure to draft/enlist more fighting age men.  Do you think your argument refutes those as well?

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 01, 2023, 05:39:36 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on November 01, 2023, 05:31:32 PMYour point has been acknowledged and dismissed. They don't have air power and the frontline is like a 1000 kilometers.

Remind me where the five shells per kilometer formula comes from.  Was it Clausewitz or Jomini?

The formula is relative fire volume.  The Russians are estimated to be firing between 10,000 and 15,000 rounds per day.  Of course, how well each side uses their rounds matters as well.  I have no idea how accurate each side is, and that matters as to the "proper" number of shells.