Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on September 14, 2023, 11:16:34 AM
Quote from: HVC on September 14, 2023, 10:51:15 AMMakes me think more ticketmaster and less Native American.

And isn't Ticketmaster pretty badass in its own way, the way it ruthlessly controls North American ticket market?  Hmm?

Badass in a monopolistic company operating in an sector with no regulation. sort of way.  Yeah, fucking awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 14, 2023, 11:18:43 AM
Quote from: HVC on September 14, 2023, 10:51:15 AMMakes me think more ticketmaster and less Native American.

And isn't Ticketmaster pretty badass in its own way, the way it ruthlessly controls North American ticket market?  Hmm?

Badass in a monopolistic company operating in an sector with no regulation. sort of way.  Yeah, fucking awesome.

Relax dude.  We're discussing how "badass" a name is - this is not a serious topic.  :hug:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on September 14, 2023, 11:20:11 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 14, 2023, 11:18:43 AM

Relax dude.  We're discussing how "badass" a name is - this is not a serious topic.  :hug:

Exactly, and that is why SCALP is, as Grumbler pointed out, not that great.

Barrister

Well, I like it.

"Storm Shadow" sounds like it is the name of a magical sword in a D&D game or something.

PJL

Never going to happen, but would love to see a rocket / missile system called Anduril to be sent to Ukraine. Would be so fitting in this context.

Jacob

The practice of scalping was introduced by and sustained by settlers and various colonial administrations offering bounties.

HVC

Would Holodomor Rockets work, or is that actually insensitive to Ukrainians themselves?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: Jacob on September 14, 2023, 11:42:57 AM

The practice of scalping was introduced by and sustained by settlers and various colonial administrations offering bounties.

Yup, as a means of tallies and proof for payment. actually long history of that sort of thing for from heads to noses and even foreskins (you go David you wacky Jew ). Kind of interesting, if not morbid. That being said when one thinks scalping of the non ticket variety one thinks Native American not colonial Quartermaster.

*edit* actually Wikipedia says we're both wrong

" There is substantial archaeological evidence of scalping in North America in the pre-Columbian era.[23][24] Carbon dating of skulls show evidence of scalping as early as 600 AD; some skulls show evidence of healing from scalping injuries, suggesting at least some victims occasionally survived at least several months.[24] Among Plains Indians, it seems to have been practiced primarily as part of intertribal warfare, with scalps only taken of enemies killed in battle."

Damn Canadian education.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Razgovory

Nope.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on September 14, 2023, 11:44:42 AMWould Holodomor Rockets work, or is that actually insensitive to Ukrainians themselves?

Holodomor means "death by hunger", so "death by hunger rockets" doesn't really capture what I want in a modern rocket system.

I think it would be funnier and more modern to have "khokhol rockets" - it would be as if Israel developed a "Kike rocket" system to fire at their enemies.  (though I suspect Kike is not a slur used by the arabs or Iranians, but you get where I'm coming from).

HVC

Quote from: Razgovory on September 14, 2023, 12:01:18 PM

Nope.

To defend Jacob (and myself :P ) I distinctly recall being taught this fact in school. Grade six history, early North American history with a rather large section about native history, customs, and culture. Evil English settlers introducing it as a bounty both against native by white settlers and getting natives themselves to do it to others. 

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on September 14, 2023, 12:04:36 PM
Quote from: HVC on September 14, 2023, 11:44:42 AMWould Holodomor Rockets work, or is that actually insensitive to Ukrainians themselves?

Holodomor means "death by hunger", so "death by hunger rockets" doesn't really capture what I want in a modern rocket system.

I think it would be funnier and more modern to have "khokhol rockets" - it would be as if Israel developed a "Kike rocket" system to fire at their enemies.  (though I suspect Kike is not a slur used by the arabs or Iranians, but you get where I'm coming from).

Hmm, fair point.

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on September 14, 2023, 12:04:36 PM

Is there some kind of slavic word for cossack raiding in the way we have viking?

Though funny for a minute it's probably more a Propeganda aid to Russia.
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

Yes, "pogrom".   :hmm: Probably not good PR move to use that one.