Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Josquius on August 23, 2023, 08:25:31 AMApparently a high tech Russian helicopter decided to land at a ukrainian air field - the pilots wanted out and earned some cash from the delivery.

The Ukrainians are reporting it as a Mi-8, so not exactly high tech.

QuoteOn Wednesday, Ukraine's military also reported deliberately luring a Russian military pilot to land his Mi-8 helicopter at a Ukrainian airfield.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on August 23, 2023, 09:55:23 PM
Quote from: Tamas on August 23, 2023, 05:11:51 PM
Quote from: Josquius on August 23, 2023, 04:52:16 PMBefore today I'd been reading rumours Mr Wagner had always been killed. He vanished after the aborted coup. Lots of talk he took the hit which is why priggy lived free.
Guess not.

Who is Mr. Wagner?

A German composer (1813-1883).

Shortstop, Pirates
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 24, 2023, 07:52:12 PM
Quote from: grumbler on August 23, 2023, 09:55:23 PM
Quote from: Tamas on August 23, 2023, 05:11:51 PM
Quote from: Josquius on August 23, 2023, 04:52:16 PMBefore today I'd been reading rumours Mr Wagner had always been killed. He vanished after the aborted coup. Lots of talk he took the hit which is why priggy lived free.
Guess not.

Who is Mr. Wagner?

A German composer (1813-1883).

Shortstop, Pirates

He also came up with the theory of plate tectonics.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Crazy_Ivan80

Apparently the Ukrainians did a landing on the Crimean peninsula. A lightning strike but still quite something

Grey Fox

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on August 25, 2023, 02:29:09 AMApparently the Ukrainians did a landing on the Crimean peninsula. A lightning strike but still quite something

Good idea if only to confirm the fears of the Russian leadership who made these poor contractors build trenches everywhere on the peninsula.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

PDH

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on August 25, 2023, 02:29:09 AMApparently the Ukrainians did a landing on the Crimean peninsula. A lightning strike but still quite something

Luckily, apparently a middle-aged conscript in his underwear was able to shoot and pin down the attackers where eventually twice as many Ukrainian invaders died for every invader who attacked.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Four Russian Il-76* reported damaged destoryed at an airfield close to the Estonia border. :cool:

*For those who don't know, a large four jet engine, high winged transport aircraft, a bit bigger than a C130 Hercules.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

After the recent success getting through the mines and securing Robotyne it seems the second line of defence is cracking in pretty short order.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/08/30/ukraine-breaches-russia-front-line-war-zaporizhzhia/
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

God, I hope this is the breakthrough we've all been waiting for.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Crazy_Ivan80

Not to mention that the Russians in Bakhmut also seem to be facing encirclement of sorts. With the UAF being able to cover most if not all resupply routes in/out of the place.

The Brain

The Pope gave a pro-Russian speech in St Petersburg (by link). I already knew he was an asshole, but it's nice to be confirmed in one's opinions.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

Meanwhile, in news from the EU Putinistas.

https://www.politico.eu/article/hungarian-pm-viktor-orban-donald-trump-ukraine-victory-over-russia-lie/

QuoteViktor Orbán tells Tucker Carlson: Trump's the man to save the West

Hoping Ukraine will beat Russia 'is not just a misunderstanding. It is a lie. It's impossible,' Hungarian leader says in interview.

Ukraine has no chance of winning the war against Russia — and Donald Trump is the West's only hope, Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orbán told controversial American TV host Tucker Carlson.

In an interview Tuesday, Orbán said that Kyiv's victory against Moscow "is not just a misunderstanding. It is a lie. It's impossible ... [Ukrainians] will run out earlier ... of soldiers than the Russians. What finally will count is boots on the ground and the Russians are far stronger."

Only the U.S. can end the war, the Hungarian leader added.

"We missed the historic opportunity" to admit Ukraine to NATO, Orbán told Carlson in the interview, saying that Russia is getting "stronger and stronger." Ukraine's admission to NATO "is not a realistic proposal at this moment, so forget about it," he added.

He also does not believe that Russians will get sick of President Vladimir Putin, and he sees little chance for Crimea to be returned to Ukraine.

Asked what he would do if he were U.S. President Joe Biden, Orbán said: "Call back Trump! Because you know, you can criticize him for many reasons ... but ... the best foreign policy of the recent several decades belongs to him. He did not initiate any new war, he treated nicely the North Koreans, and Russia and even the Chinese ... and if he would have been the president at the moment of the Russian invasion [of Ukraine], it would be not possible to do that by the Russians."

"Trump is the man who can save the Western world" and all of humanity, he said.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Only the US can end the war? Pretty sure Russia can also end the war.

Russia is getting stronger and stronger by expending hundreds of thousands of casualties, blowing their few resources on a pointless war, and driving hundreds of thousands of their young people into exile? Seems a weird way to get stronger.

Huh. Orban makes no sense.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

OttoVonBismarck

The U.S. could certainly end the current war, by converting it into WWIII, sure.