Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy_Ivan80

Rumours that the Russians have fired at civilian ships

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 13, 2023, 04:40:10 PMhttps://x.com/ukikaski/status/1690830644379557889?s=61&t=ibsS0wDgi_2qddo-rUQe1g

Russian Navy boarding a ship off Turkey apparently.

(X.com is twitter's new address.)

That's either a very brave or a very stupid helo pilot.  Getting down into ground effect with the ship structure providing so many unknown effects on wind seems a tad reckless.  I think most helos would have extracted the troops by hovering higher and lowering a ladder (that's the way the USN did it when I was airlifted from a DDG).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tonitrus

What does international law say about seizing/boarding merchant vessels in international waters in which a formal war is not declared?

The UN verbiage on piracy don't seem to apply...but I wonder what would happen if we started moving Ukrainian grain on US-flag merchant ships.  :hmm:

grumbler

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 13, 2023, 07:55:04 PMWhat does international law say about seizing/boarding merchant vessels in international waters in which a formal war is not declared?

The UN verbiage on piracy don't seem to apply...but I wonder what would happen if we started moving Ukrainian grain on US-flag merchant ships.  :hmm:

If Russia had declared war on Ukraine, it could declare a blockade and be easily in the clear.  Informal blockades, called "pacific blockades" (because they are supposed to be an alternative to war), have been implemented for centuries, even though contrary to formal international law.  Neutrals can be boarded in a pacific blockade but only in such a way as to not interfere more than the minimum possible with their own transits.  If prohibited material is found, the neutral may be diverted, even with force.  Interestingly, common usage has it that vessels with refuse to cooperate with a pacific blockade may be fired upon.

Russia's use of a pacific blockade in an undeclared actual war might be unprecedented, since the justification for a pacific blockade is that it is only undertaken to avert a war.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Interesting point. 

How would you characterize the Israeli naval blockade of Gaza a number of years ago?

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 14, 2023, 12:46:33 PMInteresting point. 

How would you characterize the Israeli naval blockade of Gaza a number of years ago?

Israel doesn't consider Gaza a separate country right? So its just blockading itself.

The same justification the Union used to blockade the Confederacy during the ACW.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on August 14, 2023, 01:08:47 PM

Israel doesn't consider Gaza a separate country right? So its just blockading itself.

The same justification the Union used to blockade the Confederacy during the ACW.

That is part of the reason I asked the question.  Russia doesn't consider Ukraine to be a separate country so it is also just blockading itself.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 14, 2023, 01:13:35 PM

That is part of the reason I asked the question.  Russia doesn't consider Ukraine to be a separate country so it is also just blockading itself.

Didn't Russia recognize Ukraine?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Yes it does. It annexed its occupied territory (and some of its non-occupied territory) but it still recognizes the rest of Ukraine as a separate country.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

HisMajestyBOB

That was an Atlantic pacific blockade.
Not to be confused with the blockade of Japan in WWII was an active Pacific blockade.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on August 14, 2023, 05:32:45 PM

Yes it does. It annexed its occupied territory (and some of its non-occupied territory) but it still recognizes the rest of Ukraine as a separate country.

Strange than that, they would go to war, claiming they are re-occupying what they say is theirs.

I think you were conflating what Russia is claiming versus what they could legitimately claim. 

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 14, 2023, 06:49:08 PM

Strange than that, they would go to war, claiming they are re-occupying what they say is theirs.

I think you were conflating what Russia is claiming versus what they could legitimately claim. 

I don't think so. I have listed nothing they could legitimately claim.

Barrister

There is zero consistency in what Russia says or claims.

The Russian Federation has numerous times acknowledged Ukrainian independence and borders - most notably the Budapest Memorandum.  But you only have to go to Putin's own essay "On the Historical Unity of Russians and Ukrainians", or to watch Russian state-controlled media, to tell that Russia also asserts that Ukrainian independence was a mistake.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on August 14, 2023, 07:13:24 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 14, 2023, 06:49:08 PM

I don't think so. I have listed nothing they could legitimately claim.

Please reread my post, that is exactly the point. What they are claiming, doesn't have anything to do with the legitimately of their claim.