Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on August 05, 2023, 12:17:38 AMI would like to formally apologize for making fun of Incan torpedo boats all these years ago.

Another ship was hit lol.

:yes:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

The first defensive line seems to have been pretty solidly breached near Tokmak with heavy fighting for the second harder line. Interesting area to see success with such a lot of lines around the area... I guess the terrain is particularly favourable and thats why Russia built so much there? That they're so bunch and leave little room for minefields might be an advantage for Ukraine too.
Hopefully we can see a breakthrough in a month or so with the promised advance down to near Berdiansk?

More worryingly seeing some reports of the Russian advance in the NE going pretty well.
██████
██████
██████

Crazy_Ivan80

The Russian thing in the NE is a weird one. Last stuff I heard is that he Russian breakthrough had been countered, and even somewhat reversed.
But that was like during the weekend, haven't ben keeping up that well.

Iormlund

My guess is it was an attempt to relieve pressure somewhere else by drawing there Ukraine's reserves.

mongers

Interesting to see these in action, I wonder who donated them, a European country, perhaps Netherlands ??

edit:
Checking below, seems equally likely to be Norway, UK or USA which have each donated 20+ of the SPGs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_military_aid_to_Ukraine_during_the_Russo-Ukrainian_War
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Habbaku

How many weeks until the Russians try to blow that statue up now?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

mongers

Quote from: Habbaku on August 08, 2023, 12:33:31 PMHow many weeks until the Russians try to blow that statue up now?

They'll try and miss, hitting Belarus instead; that statue does have to potential to be a moving target, so harder still for Ivan to hit.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Quote from: Habbaku on August 08, 2023, 12:33:31 PMHow many weeks until the Russians try to blow that statue up now?
That was my thought too.

Though I guess depending on the cost of the work it could be a good deal. Give them this difficult pointless target in the middle of a field to aim for rather than shooting at housing.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

If they blow up the surrounding Soviet monuments then so be it. IIRC there's a cool (non-Soviet) museum below the statue though.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maladict

Quote from: The Brain on August 08, 2023, 02:22:48 PMIf they blow up the surrounding Soviet monuments then so be it. IIRC there's a cool (non-Soviet) museum below the statue though.

It was very much a Soviet museum when I visited. But yes, also a very cool one.

The Brain

Quote from: Maladict on August 08, 2023, 02:32:23 PM
Quote from: The Brain on August 08, 2023, 02:22:48 PMIf they blow up the surrounding Soviet monuments then so be it. IIRC there's a cool (non-Soviet) museum below the statue though.

When I visited there was a museum about the history of the Ukrainian nation, with nice models and some animatronics and stuff. Starting in prehistory and ending with the 2014+ war. Both a Swedish-born queen and a Swedish GNW soldier could be spotted.:cool:

Josquius

I guess they'll have moved their museum collections into safe storage somewhere?
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Josquius on August 08, 2023, 03:02:04 PMI guess they'll have moved their museum collections into safe storage somewhere?

I assume that national treasures have been moved. I don't know if lower-tier stuff has been moved, historical museums being open is more important now than ever I think.

Maladict

Quote from: The Brain on August 08, 2023, 02:54:57 PM

When I visited there was a museum about the history of the Ukrainian nation, with nice models and some animatronics and stuff. Starting in prehistory and ending with the 2014+ war. Both a Swedish-born queen and a Swedish GNW soldier could be spotted.:cool:

Are we talking about the same museum? The one underneath the statue is the WW2 museum, at least it was in 2007. The one you are describing sounds more like one of the museums in de Lavra complex.

The Brain

Quote from: Maladict on August 09, 2023, 05:45:25 AM
Quote from: The Brain on August 08, 2023, 02:54:57 PM

Are we talking about the same museum? The one underneath the statue is the WW2 museum, at least it was in 2007. The one you are describing sounds more like one of the museums in de Lavra complex.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g294474-d17854202-Reviews-Making_of_the_Ukrainian_Nation_Museum-Kyiv.html