News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Punishment for Conspiracy Against Rights:

They shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and if death results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include kidnapping or an attempt to kidnap, aggravated sexual abuse or an attempt to commit aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to kill, they shall be fined under this title or imprisoned for any term of years or for life, or both, or may be sentenced to death.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

FunkMonk

Personally would love to see him sentenced to death. Hell I'd watch it live if they televised it.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: FunkMonk on August 01, 2023, 08:50:16 PMPersonally would love to see him sentenced to death. Hell I'd watch it live if they televised it.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1686497045715050496?
Quote from: Kyle GriffinNew on @MSNBC: The Trump case has been assigned to U.S. District Judge Tanya S. Chutkan.

Chutkan, an Obama appointee, is the only federal judge in Washington, D.C. who has sentenced Jan. 6 defendants to sentences longer than the government had requested.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

The Sentencing Guidelines provide for a base offense level of 18 for the charged offenses - the level is the same whether the offense is treated principally as an election obstruction case, interference with government function,  or deprivation of civil rights (Section 241).  This assumes all enhancements for offense specific characteristics are applied.

A general enhancement of 4 levels would likely be applied as organizer or leader of criminal activity involving 5 or more participants.  It is possible a 3 level enhancement could apply for an "official victim" if Pence were to be found to be an intended victim of the offense.

Assuming an offense level of 22 and no criminal history*, the applicable sentencing range would be 41 to 51 months.  A sentencing judge is not bound to apply the guidelines but must state their reasoning.  Although this case could justify a higher than guidelines sentence, given the political sensitivities, I would expect the judge to stick to the guidelines range.

*As of today, Trump has no criminal history - i.e. no prior convictions.  However, if he were to be convicted on these charges, by the time he is sentenced, he may have also been convicted on charges in the documents case, or for state crimes.  That could push up the guidelines sentence by another 6-12 months, give or take.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Are sentences appealable?  Either by the prosecution or the defense?

I'm having a hard time imagining Trump doing time.

DGuller

That's disappointing to hear.  :(  I was contemplating the scenario where Trump gets sentenced to death before the election, is elected anyway, and is then executed while in office.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 02, 2023, 08:31:09 AMAre sentences appealable?  Either by the prosecution or the defense?

I'm having a hard time imagining Trump doing time.

Sentences can be appealed by either side; however, federal judges have great discretion in sentencing.  Generally speaking, a successful sentencing appeal is not common and even then, usually involves the sentencing being sent back to the original judge for reconsideration.

As I calculate it, the guidelines sentences that would be applicable in this case and in the documents case are significant enough that a non-custodial sentence would be very unusual.  However, incarceration of a former President obviously presents unique practical concerns, and thus I would expect consideration of a home-based incarceration would be likely.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

What is the likelihood of some sort of appeal making it to the Supreme Court?

The Minsky Moment

--Joan Robinson

Jacob

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 02, 2023, 11:37:32 AMPretty likely.

A few more questions:

1. If Trump is convicted prior to the election, would it impact his ability to run (legally, not in terms of popularity)?

2. If he is convicted and he appeals, would that automatically make it so he could still run (if the answer to 1. is yes)? Or would it require some sort of special order from the Supreme Court?

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on August 02, 2023, 11:57:56 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 02, 2023, 11:37:32 AMPretty likely.

A few more questions:

1. If Trump is convicted prior to the election, would it impact his ability to run (legally, not in terms of popularity)?

2. If he is convicted and he appeals, would that automatically make it so he could still run (if the answer to 1. is yes)? Or would it require some sort of special order from the Supreme Court?

Candidates for office have been elected from jail in the past.  The only conviction that would bar running would be impeachment.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

A side note:   if convicted of any of these felonies, Trump could run but could not vote for himself, as Florida bars felons from voting.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on August 02, 2023, 12:07:45 PMA side note:   if convicted of any of these felonies, Trump could run but could not vote for himself, as Florida bars felons from voting.

I thought I read recently there had been a change to that but Florida was doing something shady like still not letting them vote until they had paid of debts to the state. So sort of nullifying to some extent what voters had tried to change.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.