News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 10, 2023, 10:22:46 AMThe next GREAT HISTORIC EPIC cinema experience:

Looks like a 3 hour highlights reel given the subject matter. Should be a 4 day film to give it justice. First time since the beginning of the Holocene period I feel like seeing something in the cinema.

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 11, 2023, 11:38:45 AM
Quote from: viper37 on July 11, 2023, 11:27:50 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 11, 2023, 10:55:56 AM
Quote from: viper37 on July 10, 2023, 03:06:59 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on July 10, 2023, 01:42:36 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on July 10, 2023, 11:04:46 AMI want to watch it but I'll have to wait until it appears on Apple TV. Can't justify being out an entire afternoon for this movie.

:huh:
We're all old people now.  We have to be in bed by 20:30 at most.  Can't go to the theater for a movie at 19:30.

Les vrais se font un marathon nocturne, au moins une fois par an. :contract:

https://www.legrandrex.com/cinema/4250

QuoteSynopsis
La Nuit Nanarland revient le 30 septembre prochain pour un marathon de 12 heures de projection au Grand Rex à Paris : des bandes-annonces rares, des extraits absurdes, des cuts Nanarland généreux, des quiz azimutés, et bien sûr quatre films qui devraient marquer les esprits.

Of course, it's not for CGI crap-fests and bad long-winded super-hero movies.

:P
Je ne serais plus capable, particulièrement depuis l'épisode de covid. :(

Je vois que le conditionnel est de mise, donc tout n'est pas encore perdu.  :P
Oui en effet, j'espère pouvoir y revenir. :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tamas

Yeah the Napoleon trailer was impressive but watching it I was hoping I misunderstood something and this is going to be a mini-series. I guess it will be fine for people familiar with the history but I am sure it'll be a confusing mess for those with no prior interest in the era.

celedhring

Ridley Scott shooting Napoleonic battles is all I need. In the trailer there's at least Toulon, the Vendimiaire revolt, the Pyramids, Austerlitz, Waterloo... did I miss any?

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on July 12, 2023, 03:19:04 AMRidley Scott shooting Napoleonic battles is all I need. In the trailer there's at least Toulon, the Vendimiaire revolt, the Pyramids, Austerlitz, Waterloo... did I miss any?

But how much will they get all squeezed into one film?

I wonder which ones will be totally cut. Not having watched the trailer yet... I could see Egypt just not happening :(
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

There are some historical inaccuracies in the film, like the "artillery breaks the ice," the cavalry charge (though that does show him as left-handed, something seldom seen in Napoleon depictions - we don't know for sure that he was), and what appears to be Napoleon's artillery blowing up British ships at Toulon.  Probably that's excusable as dramatic license (though there are so many actual dramatic moments in his life that none would seem to need to be made up) but it does raise concerns about how accurate Scott intended to be.

One of the more obvious problems is that Joaquin Phoenix looks like he is fifty years old playing a twenty-four-year-old in 1793 and looks like he is fifty years old playing a 44-year-old Napoleon at Waterloo.  I'm guessing that his face isn't one that takes well to de-aging makeup.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

FunkMonk

The film will release and get panned for being a mess. A year later the director's cut will come out at 4 hours and 28 minutes and it will be lauded as a triumph of cinema.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josquius

You don't really get multi part films anymore do you. I can't remember the last one other than avengers.
Dune stands out in not being this, part 2 as a straight sequel only starting to be made after 1.

Strikes me the lotr treatment would   be the best way to go with this
██████
██████
██████

HVC

I vote intermission with campy jingles imploring us to go to the lobby and get ourselves a snack.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Yeah you still get intermissions in Indian cinema which is great, like RRR (:wub:).
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josquius on July 12, 2023, 08:38:45 AMYou don't really get multi part films anymore do you. I can't remember the last one other than avengers.
Dune stands out in not being this, part 2 as a straight sequel only starting to be made after 1.

Strikes me the lotr treatment would   be the best way to go with this

The new MI movie

How is Dune 2 a sequel?  It is the second part of book 1.

Josephus

Quote from: grumbler on July 12, 2023, 08:02:43 AMThere are some historical inaccuracies in the film, like the "artillery breaks the ice," the cavalry charge (though that does show him as left-handed, something seldom seen in Napoleon depictions - we don't know for sure that he was), and what appears to be Napoleon's artillery blowing up British ships at Toulon.  Probably that's excusable as dramatic license (though there are so many actual dramatic moments in his life that none would seem to need to be made up) but it does raise concerns about how accurate Scott intended to be.

One of the more obvious problems is that Joaquin Phoenix looks like he is fifty years old playing a twenty-four-year-old in 1793 and looks like he is fifty years old playing a 44-year-old Napoleon at Waterloo.  I'm guessing that his face isn't one that takes well to de-aging makeup.

Jesus....movie's not out yet, and Languish is already dissing it.

Look, unless Napoleon takes the tube and talks strategy with the locals, I'm fine with it.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

grumbler

Quote from: Josephus on July 12, 2023, 10:46:20 AM
Quote from: grumbler on July 12, 2023, 08:02:43 AMThere are some historical inaccuracies in the film, like the "artillery breaks the ice," the cavalry charge (though that does show him as left-handed, something seldom seen in Napoleon depictions - we don't know for sure that he was), and what appears to be Napoleon's artillery blowing up British ships at Toulon.  Probably that's excusable as dramatic license (though there are so many actual dramatic moments in his life that none would seem to need to be made up) but it does raise concerns about how accurate Scott intended to be.

Jesus....movie's not out yet, and Languish is already dissing it.

Look, unless Napoleon takes the tube and talks strategy with the locals, I'm fine with it.

Jesus. someone makes an actual post about the actual content of the trailer, and Languish leaps to its defense without any actual intellectual arguments because... reasons.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Languish is as languish does.