Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Josquius

Seems to be becoming more confirmed Ukraine has a bridgehead near the destroyed dam.
Nothing official from Ukraine yet but lots of observers looking at Russian videos and bloggers saying so.
██████
██████
██████

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 24, 2023, 03:00:38 PMSo ultimately this seems like a case of a guy getting sick of fighting a useless war, so he marched on the capital to get a deal that sends him and his most trusted soldiers far away to Africa where they can get rich mining diamonds.

Seems like a good deal for Prig.

I think he expected his column to meet substantial resistance, there would be a tense standoff, then negotiations ending in concessions and brotherly reconciliation.

Except, whoops, looks like the Emperor has no clothes and the state is completely impotent. Now it's either go all the way and take Moscow and try to become the new Czar, which Prig doesn't want to do, or stop at the last moment and make everyone involved look like imbeciles.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Threviel

It's very unlikely that he would have succeeded in taking Moscow, and even if he had succeeded he probably wouldn't be able to hold it. If he entered Moscow his own death would be almost a certainty. But it was a great example for someone with serious intent.

https://twitter.com/KofmanMichael/status/1672999622032195584

Syt

I'm guessing he was gambling that his actions would lead to more factions joining in or creating more chaos, and when that didn't materialize ... well.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

I wonder if Lukashenko is thinking "Hmm, you don't need a large army to take Moscow.  I've got an army, and I've got someone who knows how to use it."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Threviel on June 26, 2023, 01:44:00 AMIt's very unlikely that he would have succeeded in taking Moscow, and even if he had succeeded he probably wouldn't be able to hold it. If he entered Moscow his own death would be almost a certainty. But it was a great example for someone with serious intent.

If he kept going up the highway, who was going to stop him? His forces were like an hour and a half a way.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

celedhring

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 26, 2023, 04:09:10 AM
Quote from: Threviel on June 26, 2023, 01:44:00 AMIt's very unlikely that he would have succeeded in taking Moscow, and even if he had succeeded he probably wouldn't be able to hold it. If he entered Moscow his own death would be almost a certainty. But it was a great example for someone with serious intent.

If he kept going up the highway, who was going to stop him? His forces were like an hour and a half a way.

It would have been a Nappy scenario. You enter Moscow, then what?

I presume he expected supports and defections that didn't happen.

Threviel

No logistics base at the end of a long tether inside a huge city where the police alone outnumbers Wagner. Putin could certainly jury-rig some kampfgruppen to go Warsaw uprising on Wagner's ass.

Would create chaos and destabilize shit something fierce and probably accelerate the fall of Putin but to little joy for all Wagner corpses.

But who knows what really would have happened, Russia is such a shit-show that anything goes.

Syt

It seems there's been no communication or appearance by Prigozhin or Putin since Saturday. :unsure: Seems strange for Putin he should be interested in seeming be large and in charge.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Legbiter

Quote from: celedhring on June 26, 2023, 04:15:19 AMIt would have been a Nappy scenario. You enter Moscow, then what?

Moscow would have been trashed and the citizens would have gotten the Dirlewanger treatment by a combination of Wagner, Chechen and regular forces. Oh no.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on June 26, 2023, 04:15:19 AM

It would have been a Nappy scenario. You enter Moscow, then what?

:hmm:

Saint Petersburg was the capital of Russia in Nappy's time. Moscow being still the other most important city of Russia, however.

Maladict

Quote from: celedhring on June 26, 2023, 04:15:19 AMIt would have been a Nappy scenario. You enter Moscow, then what?

Raise the Wagner flag over the Kremlin. Make a last stand in Lenin's mausoleum. Place in the history books assured.

Instead he has to live in Belarus, waiting to get murderded?