News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Quote from: Gups on April 11, 2023, 03:24:36 AM
Quote from: Josquius on April 11, 2023, 02:08:32 AMDoes Succession take time to get good or is it there from the start?
I've tried it but can't get through a scene or two of episode 1. Never in the right frame of mind I guess.

Personally I loved it from the very first scene.

Yeah me too, but if someone doesn't like the first couple episodes the show just isn't for them. My wife doesn't actively hate the show but she can't stand watching it. All the characters really grate her and she can't get into it at all.

But I FUCKING LOVE IT /loganroy  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

celedhring

Yeah, every single character is an asshole. Oddly, that's part of the charm  :lol:

Sheilbh

Same. But I agree if you didn't like the first couple of episodes, you won't enjoy it. The writer did Peep Show and The Thick of It - which ae not exactly renowned for character growth or change :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

For me it has not gotten better.  It is all just a dreadful collection of characters who have no positive or redeeming qualities.  The asshat behaviour just keeps getting recycled through the seasons.  But  I continue to watch, because Mrs. CC loves it.

Admiral Yi

The Caddyshack remake trailer looks awful.

viper37

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 10, 2023, 08:36:53 PMIt looks like the plot of Robocop...but replace "cop" with "T-Rex".
Whenever a successful movie arise, there are always cheap knockoff by B-movie studios.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

The Mauritanian on Netflix.  Gitmo detainee story based on his book "Guantanamo Diary."  Held my attention but not all that great as a film.  As a historical document doesn't tell much if anything new.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 11, 2023, 11:40:53 PMThe Mauritanian on Netflix.  Gitmo detainee story based on his book "Guantanamo Diary."  Held my attention but not all that great as a film.  As a historical document doesn't tell much if anything new.

FWIW, the writers are former classmates of mine. Great guys all around.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on April 11, 2023, 11:43:24 PMFWIW, the writers are former classmates of mine. Great guys all around.

Cool

Sheilbh

A new live action Harry Potter series (based on the books, new cast) - the films only finished about ten years ago :lol: :weep:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 12, 2023, 01:42:54 PMA new live action Harry Potter series (based on the books, new cast) - the films only finished about ten years ago :lol: :weep:

Jesus....

I await the humorous responses of the "old" cast.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Feels like we'll probably get an Iron Man reboot soon :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 12, 2023, 01:50:18 PMFeels like we'll probably get an Iron Man reboot soon :bleeding:
Already introduced in Black Panther 2. Though with a different iron man.

I do wonder when marvel will loop around and it's Steve Rodgers and Tony stark again. The multiverse is definitely their plan for this.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 12, 2023, 01:42:54 PMA new live action Harry Potter series (based on the books, new cast) - the films only finished about ten years ago :lol: :weep:

Hmmm...

It's not quite so bad as I thought.  I didn't appreciate it's a streaming TV series, not a movie reboot.  Each season of the series will correspond to one of the books.  So I mean supposedly this should give much more time to explore plotlines that were compressed / eliminated when making the movies.

Although the first problem seems pretty obvious... Philosopher's Stone is a pretty short book, and I don't think a whole heck of a lot was left out of that first movie.

ALso you can't afford to make this series on the cheap as it'll compare quite poorly to the movies, but I thought the golden age of companies breaking the bank to finance streming TV series was behind us.

Finally 'ole JK Rowling is listed as an executive producer and does sound like she's involved in the series.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

She was pretty involved in the original movies as well.

My problem with JK as a steward of her own world is that she is the literary George Lucas, she is always going back and retroactively changing her original materials and almost always makes it stupider. Nagini the snake being an actual person comes to mind. So as much as doing a small screen version of the books to let the plots and characters breath a little it could easily be a trainwreck just because of her tendency to do that sort of thing.

But hey no matter what happens the original films and books will always exist.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."