News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Oh, I finished S1 of Foundation. I had to use alternate sources :pirate because while I have an Apple TV+ subscription, on Windows you can only stream in 720p <_<

Anyways, I enjoyed it. Is it on the level of The Expanse? Hell no. Is it following the source material? It's been years since I read the first Foundation trilogy, but from what I remember: hell no.

However, I dig the overall visual design of the show and their idea of what this distant future (10k+ years) might look like. I like the work put into the various cultures/languages (Anacreon, Thespis, etc.). And the general story of Salvor Hardin and the internal struggle of the cloned Emperors and their tension between stagnation and reneal quite interesting. Gaal's story of her being aboard the ship headed for Star's End and the Second Foundation ... much less so, unfortunately. I'm ok with her having an intuitive understanding of causality etc. (thus making her able to "predict" the future to some degree), but the story didn't feel too captivating.

Overall the pace is very ponderous and languid - it gives breathing room to the visuals and setting, but I feel the show is missing an emotional core (which I guess is true to the source :P ). Still, I love me some large scale, high concept space opera, and therefore do look forward to S2 (which should have at least a 138 year jump into the future, based on the S1 epilogue) . -_-
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Does Succession take time to get good or is it there from the start?
I've tried it but can't get through a scene or two of episode 1. Never in the right frame of mind I guess.
██████
██████
██████

Gups

Quote from: Josquius on April 11, 2023, 02:08:32 AMDoes Succession take time to get good or is it there from the start?
I've tried it but can't get through a scene or two of episode 1. Never in the right frame of mind I guess.

Personally I loved it from the very first scene.

celedhring

Yeah, it starts off excellently.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on April 11, 2023, 01:29:18 AMOh, I finished S1 of Foundation. I had to use alternate sources :pirate because while I have an Apple TV+ subscription, on Windows you can only stream in 720p <_<

Anyways, I enjoyed it. Is it on the level of The Expanse? Hell no. Is it following the source material? It's been years since I read the first Foundation trilogy, but from what I remember: hell no.

However, I dig the overall visual design of the show and their idea of what this distant future (10k+ years) might look like. I like the work put into the various cultures/languages (Anacreon, Thespis, etc.). And the general story of Salvor Hardin and the internal struggle of the cloned Emperors and their tension between stagnation and reneal quite interesting. Gaal's story of her being aboard the ship headed for Star's End and the Second Foundation ... much less so, unfortunately. I'm ok with her having an intuitive understanding of causality etc. (thus making her able to "predict" the future to some degree), but the story didn't feel too captivating.

Overall the pace is very ponderous and languid - it gives breathing room to the visuals and setting, but I feel the show is missing an emotional core (which I guess is true to the source :P ). Still, I love me some large scale, high concept space opera, and therefore do look forward to S2 (which should have at least a 138 year jump into the future, based on the S1 epilogue) . -_-

I couldn't make myself finish the last episode, should return to it.

Absolutely gorgeous visuals. The story has very little to do with the source material mainly because the original series covers generations in quick succession and reeks of the 1950s, most notably the lack of females.  :D

Even though I kinda' got bored with it, I understand them wanting to use the basic story to focus on a shorter timeframe, makes sense for a TV series. I also understand why they felt necessary to fast-track the collapse of the empire, although perhaps there could have been a better way to keep the the triple emperors in the story. I think just the writing could have been better.

Syt

I read the show was pitched for 8 seasons ( :o ). I could see them having each season covering one crisis with time skips between them (we saw a 34 year one in S1, IIRC), and using Gaal and Salvor as "connective" tissue. The interplay of the Day, Dusk, Dawn was by far my favorite part of the series, and I hope we will see more of it some fashion.

On the 1950s - yeah, I'm kind of glad they didn't go down the route (yet? :unsure: ) of having nuclear power being this mythical technology/religion for the savage fiefdoms who lost their technology :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Gups on April 11, 2023, 03:24:36 AM
Quote from: Josquius on April 11, 2023, 02:08:32 AMDoes Succession take time to get good or is it there from the start?

Personally I loved it from the very first scene.

Explains why I bounced off it after episode 2, if format does change from that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

The Foundation TV series is based, from what I can see, on Asimov's prequel books, published very late in his career, so not actually 1950s stuff.  They were pretty dreadful as books.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josephus

Every classic show has that Emmy award winning episode. (Is Emmy what they give out for TV?)

This episode of Succession is a winner.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Brain

Deep Water, documentary about the 1968 Sunday Times Golden Globe Around the World Race, and Donald Crowhurst in particular. I had heard about him before, but it's a well made documentary and the whole thing is such an insane story. And it's not like Crowhurst was the only one in the race who decided to do weird things.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: The Brain on April 11, 2023, 10:16:32 AMDeep Water, documentary about the 1968 Sunday Times Golden Globe Around the World Race, and Donald Crowhurst in particular. I had heard about him before, but it's a well made documentary and the whole thing is such an insane story. And it's not like Crowhurst was the only one in the race who decided to do weird things.

Yeah it's a very interesting story.

Which streaming service is that on?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on April 10, 2023, 02:54:04 PMDenise Richards and Paul Walker starred in this...

Un classique, assurément !

:lol:

The Brain

Quote from: mongers on April 11, 2023, 10:29:45 AM
Quote from: The Brain on April 11, 2023, 10:16:32 AMDeep Water, documentary about the 1968 Sunday Times Golden Globe Around the World Race, and Donald Crowhurst in particular. I had heard about him before, but it's a well made documentary and the whole thing is such an insane story. And it's not like Crowhurst was the only one in the race who decided to do weird things.

Yeah it's a very interesting story.

Which streaming service is that on?

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: grumbler on April 11, 2023, 05:30:24 AMThe Foundation TV series is based, from what I can see, on Asimov's prequel books, published very late in his career, so not actually 1950s stuff.  They were pretty dreadful as books.
At some point he stopped writing and let ghost writers in.  Those prequels were bad.  The original trilogy, as dated as it is, was a good quick read.  

I stopped watching the series. It wasn't terrible, but it just didn't grab my attention.  Maybe I'll pick it up again.
PDH!

grumbler

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 11, 2023, 11:22:32 AMAt some point he stopped writing and let ghost writers in.

Yeah, he stopping writing because he was dead.  The last of his prequels was published posthumously.  Then the estate let the Killer Bs do books, but the one I read (by Brin) was as bad as the late Asimov stuff.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!