Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Quote from: celedhring on February 03, 2023, 08:18:59 AM
Quote from: Legbiter on February 03, 2023, 07:03:39 AMGermans saying they're going to pull 88 mothballed Leopard 1s out of storage and send them to Ukraine. :hmm:

88  :lol:

I guess the Germans really don't have much of a sense of PR. 

14 Leo 2s
88 Leo 1s

^_^
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Zanza

The Leopard 1 tanks are privately owned by Rheinmetall and their CEO said it would take up to a year to get all of them delivered as they will completely take them apart first and then rebuild them.

As at least Germany and Norway have ordered new Leopard 2 tanks now, I guess KMW, which makes them, will ramp up production too.

HVC

What's the reason for taking them apart first?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Solmyr

Quote from: Legbiter on February 03, 2023, 08:55:42 AM
Quote from: celedhring on February 03, 2023, 08:18:59 AM
Quote from: Legbiter on February 03, 2023, 07:03:39 AMGermans saying they're going to pull 88 mothballed Leopard 1s out of storage and send them to Ukraine. :hmm:

88  :lol:

I guess the Germans really don't have much of a sense of PR. 

14 Leo 2s
88 Leo 1s

^_^

If this is a coincidence, it's a pretty WTF one. :ph34r:

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Legbiter

I hope Ukrainian tankers paint iron crosses on their Leopards for extra vatnik asshurt. ^_^
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on February 03, 2023, 11:45:12 AM
Quote from: Josquius on February 03, 2023, 11:37:42 AM14 is a nazi code?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourteen_Words

To be fait the 14 words are in English, coined by an American, and probably have no relevancy or meaning in Germany.

88 on the other hand...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zanza

Quote from: HVC on February 03, 2023, 10:29:28 AMWhat's the reason for taking them apart first?
They were in storage for 10+ years and are rotten inside.

Zanza

A German panzer battalion has 44 main battle tanks, so 88 means two battalions worth of panzers.

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on February 03, 2023, 11:51:51 AM
Quote from: Syt on February 03, 2023, 11:45:12 AM
Quote from: Josquius on February 03, 2023, 11:37:42 AM14 is a nazi code?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourteen_Words

To be fait the 14 words are in English, coined by an American, and probably have no relevancy or meaning in Germany.

88 on the other hand...

From a few years ago at an AfD event. German text says, "If you understand what I mean."

It's not widely spread it seems, but not exactly unknown within neonazi circles (e.g. there's band names referencing either 14 or 14/88).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

It makes me wonder what the point of mothballing equipment even is if it takes a year to get it online.  If it takes a lot of time and resources to get online crap that you thought was outdated even decades ago, then is it even worth it?

Zanza

It will definitely be worth it for Rheinmetall now...

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on February 03, 2023, 01:32:17 PMIt's not widely spread it seems, but not exactly unknown within neonazi circles (e.g. there's band names referencing either 14 or 14/88).
Yeah it's one of those things where I don't think normal people who aren't either on or particularly aware of the far-right know what it signifies. But people on the far-right, internationally, definitely do even if it originates in American white supremacist movements.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

I hesitate to ask, but what does it signify?