Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on January 27, 2023, 05:38:14 PMYeah, a dollar spent in Ukraine may result in more food produced than a dollar spent in Western Europe, but West European farmers probably won't be convinced by those advantages.
Not just West European either - Poland would be facing big CAP cuts.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Total of about 320 tanks going to Ukraine according to the French - who have, I believe, decided against sending Leclercs because Ukraine doesn't need loads of different types of tanks. But the French are, reportedly, looking into providing fighters.
Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 27, 2023, 09:02:39 PMTotal of about 320 tanks going to Ukraine according to the French - who have, I believe, decided against sending Leclercs because Ukraine doesn't need loads of different types of tanks. But the French are, reportedly, looking into providing fighters.

The fighters are a cherry on top, a visible commitment to stick with Ukraine after the fighting dies out. Not expecting the Ukrainians to gain a US SEAD capability.  :hmm: 
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Solmyr

crazy canuck

Quote from: Solmyr on January 28, 2023, 04:35:56 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 27, 2023, 01:12:14 PMWhy wouldn't it all just be given to the Finns?

We don't want it.

I have been to your country. It is beautiful.  But you lack sufficient space for a proper garbage dump.

Legbiter

A series of smoking incidents in Iran overnight... :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 27, 2023, 09:02:39 PMTotal of about 320 tanks going to Ukraine according to the French - who have, I believe, decided against sending Leclercs because Ukraine doesn't need loads of different types of tanks. But the French are, reportedly, looking into providing fighters.

Where did that number come from all of  a sudden?

I was just thinking the other day whether the West may have been understating their donationa to ukraine - get much the same pr boost as admitting they are donating tonnes whilst restricting just handing Intel to Russia.
██████
██████
██████

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Josquius on January 29, 2023, 10:53:53 AM

Where did that number come from all of  a sudden?

I was just thinking the other day whether the West may have been understating their donationa to ukraine - get much the same pr boost as admitting they are donating tonnes whilst restricting just handing Intel to Russia.

Morocco added 99 T72s apparently

Zanza

Melynk now wants Germany to deliver U212 boots.  :rolleyes:

Jacob

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on January 29, 2023, 12:09:31 PMMorocco added 99 T72s apparently

Interesting. What's Morocco's motivation here?

Are they repulsed by Russia's genocidal imperialism and want to oppose evil? Or are there some more real-political considerations in play?

Tonitrus

Quote from: Zanza on January 29, 2023, 12:15:49 PMMelynk now wants Germany to deliver U212 boots.  :rolleyes:
They'd never get through the Bosporus...

Can a u-boat be delivered by rail?  :hmm:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on January 29, 2023, 12:34:36 PMInteresting. What's Morocco's motivation here?

Are they repulsed by Russia's genocidal imperialism and want to oppose evil? Or are there some more real-political considerations in play?
It's a change in stance - but the tanks are being bought by the US and the Netherlands, and upgraded by the Czechs before going to Ukraine. I suspect there will be a bit of an opportunity to improve their equipment from Western sources as part of that deal.

But there's a really interesting shadow war (which I imagine will be the setting for books/films in the future) of Ukrainian diplomats and contacts trying to buy a lot of old Soviet material wherever they can, while Russian diplomats and spies are trying to work out where the Ukrainians are to buy up those stocks instead. On a senior level Lavrov's just done a bit tour of Africa shoring up Russian friendships there while Zelensky's announced a "restart" for Ukraine engaging with Africa and is sending Kuleba on a big African tour too. Key for both is that Africa has lots of former Soviet material that would be really helpful for Ukraine.

Additionally you've got the French/EU missions in the Sahel and Russian counter-attacks often tied to Wagner. So the Burkina Faso coup government kicking out French troops and now targeting French symbols but also, according to Ghana, bringing in Wagner mercenaries. But it basically looks a lot like what happened in Mali and is another area where I think the EU countries and Russia are in military competition - and I wonder if that's also part of it for Morocco? Russia's not just in Europe (and Syria) but increasingly in the Sahel so maybe posing risks for a Western-aligned North African country?
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

mongers

Quote from: Zanza on January 29, 2023, 12:15:49 PMMelynk now wants Germany to deliver U212 boots.  :rolleyes:

Excellent, should be a significant upgrade on the DM's and surplus desert camo boots sometimes worn.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Jacob on January 29, 2023, 12:34:36 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on January 29, 2023, 12:09:31 PMMorocco added 99 T72s apparently

Interesting. What's Morocco's motivation here?

Piss off Algeria, their enemy brother, which is discreetly pro-Russian (Algeria benefits a lot from high gas prices by the way)?  :P
Getting rid of Soviet/Russian matériel to replace it by western tanks?  :hmm:

QuoteAre they repulsed by Russia's genocidal imperialism and want to oppose evil? Or are there some more real-political considerations in play?

No to the first, though I don't think they approve it nor do they strongly oppose it.
To add up to Sheilbh's post,Morocco has always been more pro-Western oriented in general, which has paid off in recent years with Trump recognising their occupation and claim on Western Sahara.