A professor fired to have showed images of Mohammed to a warned public....

Started by Rex Francorum, January 10, 2023, 08:09:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Wait, what's liberation theology? I'm not as up to date on my heresy's as I used to be :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on January 11, 2023, 01:58:22 PMWait, what's liberation theology? I'm not as up to date on my heresy's as I used to be :D

It's Marxism with a thin veneer of Catholic theology.  Came up in the 1960s from Latin America.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: The Brain on January 11, 2023, 11:31:29 AM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on January 11, 2023, 09:37:12 AM
Quote from: The Brain on January 11, 2023, 09:17:54 AMOne of the most important aspects of the Reformation is that it over the centuries has saved A LOT of kids from getting sexually abused.

Eh, there's a lot of sexual abuse in Protestant and Orthodox churches, just not as heavily litigated / advertised.

It's the difference that matters. And how are Orthodox churches relevant here?

We don't really know that there is a difference. No other church has been investigated to the degree the Catholic church has, what I do see is just about every institution in which trusted non-familial adults have relatively unsupervised access to children, if you dig you find systemic abuse. This is teachers, priests, youth sports coaches, boy scout troop leaders etc. We simply don't have the comprehensive information we would need to make the assumptions you are making.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on January 10, 2023, 09:48:20 PM*edit* also I don't think you could kosher slaughter a pig. You'd have to brain it first, a big no no.

On the contrary, think of the matança do porco, old school-style. No anesthesia and straight to the jugular.
Bonus: hallal too.  :P

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Tamas on January 11, 2023, 11:42:33 AMWell my point is that the more Catholic a country has been in Europe, the less developed they are. The Catholic Church was a barrier to the emerging middle class and so where they were strong enough they got rid of it.

Eh, simplification I think. A lot of Catholic countries had governing institutions that were more antithetical to the sort of economic and industrial reforms some of the more developed European countries had. I think geography is also a major factor as it intersected with history as to why Southern Europe developed slower than Northern Europe.

HVC

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 11, 2023, 02:02:35 PM
Quote from: HVC on January 10, 2023, 09:48:20 PM*edit* also I don't think you could kosher slaughter a pig. You'd have to brain it first, a big no no.

On the contrary, think of the matança do porco, old school-style. No anesthesia and straight to the jugular.

That's a sticking, kosher/halal needs a continuous slicing motion :contract: :P

*edit* and it's hog tied too, can you tie up a kosher slaughter?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on January 10, 2023, 11:53:47 PMProtty's forget the bad parts of their history. Takes Catholics or Catholic lites (sheilbh :P ) to remind them. No one expects the inquisition, but everyone forgets how many witches and warlocks were burned outside of catholic countries, for example.

Yeah, Spain and Portugal did not need to invent imaginary enemies since witchcraft was deemed not to exist by the Pope.
Cristão-novos were there to keep the Inquisition busy anyways.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on January 11, 2023, 02:05:06 PM

Precisely.
QED.

By the way, the pig is not necessarily tied, at least from the matanças I witnessed (I only immortalised one sorry).

HVC

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 11, 2023, 02:08:36 PM
Quote from: HVC on January 11, 2023, 02:05:06 PM

Precisely.
QED.

By the way, the pig is not necessarily tied, at least from the matanças I witnessed (I only immortalised one sorry).

They few (three or four in my youth) were tied, but that might not be the norm. But sticking isn't kosher. You can't jab a blade, you have the slice/draw against the neck and cut the esophagus and trachea in on smooth motion (no sawing). Getting the carotid(s) is just a happy coincidence.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on January 11, 2023, 02:11:27 PMThey few (three or four in my youth) were tied, but that might not be the norm. But sticking isn't kosher. You can't jab a blade, you have the slice/draw against the neck and cut the esophagus and trachea in on smooth motion (no sawing). Getting the carotid(s) is just a happy coincidence.

Happy coincidence for the animal indeed, putting relatively quickly an end to its misery.  :P
I guess you being a descendant of crypto-Moors/Jews means you want to differentiate the matança do porco from "your" ritual slaughter.  :D
Sawing is a big no AFAIK.

HVC

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 11, 2023, 02:15:02 PM
Quote from: HVC on January 11, 2023, 02:11:27 PMThey few (three or four in my youth) were tied, but that might not be the norm. But sticking isn't kosher. You can't jab a blade, you have the slice/draw against the neck and cut the esophagus and trachea in on smooth motion (no sawing). Getting the carotid(s) is just a happy coincidence.

Happy coincidence for the animal indeed, putting relatively quickly an end to its misery.  :P
I guess you being a descendant of crypto-Moors/Jews means you want to differentiate the matança do porco from "your" ritual slaughter.  :D

Arabic on my dads, Jewish on my moms :D every pig slaughter I've been to (and I've been to dozens, lived around a lot of pig farms, spring stank lol) the pig was "stuck" in the jugular in a decidedly unkosher fashion.  The porkchops (hehe) did it straight, the whites shot it in the head first though.

In the matança up north they slice the neck? If so then you do indeed have kosher slaughtered pork, if not kosher meat :D

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on January 11, 2023, 01:59:38 PMIt's Marxism with a thin veneer of Catholic theology.  Came up in the 1960s from Latin America.
Calm down John Paul :P

It's a little back in fashion now with Francis. Saint Oscar Romero and the Pope celebrating mass with renowned liberation theologians. I'd be orthodox :goodboy:
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on January 11, 2023, 01:59:38 PM
Quote from: HVC on January 11, 2023, 01:58:22 PMWait, what's liberation theology? I'm not as up to date on my heresy's as I used to be :D

It's Marxism with a thin veneer of Catholic theology.  Came up in the 1960s from Latin America.

Well Marx is dad bod Jesus :D

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on January 11, 2023, 02:19:59 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 11, 2023, 02:15:02 PM

Arabic on my dads, Jewish on my moms :D every pig slaughter I've been to (and I've been to dozens, lived around a lot of pig farms, spring stank lol) the pig was "stuck" in the jugular in a decidedly unkosher fashion.  The porkchops (hehe) did it straight, the whites shot it in the head first though.

In the matança up north they slice the neck? If so then you do indeed have kosher slaughtered pork, if not kosher meat :D

Neck is sliced sooner or later. ;)

Muslims seeing a matança did describe it as (almost) halal.  :hmm:

Mind you, there are some villages described (never witnessed a matança there), or that used to be, as crypto-jewish, up north. No crypto-moors up north obviously, though.
I'll have to check the Jewish Museum in Bragança next time and inquire there.

https://www.sefarad-braganca.com/pt/visita-virtual/centro-interpretacao-cultura-sefardita/

It's not like the Alheira de Bragança is not inspired by a Jewish tradition, though as you may know, in Bragança or Mirandela, it's with pork.  :P

https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alheira

HVC

Alheira and farinheira were made to trick the gentiles. But eventually those jews became gentiles too and started adding pig fat since its so tasty haha

You non portuguese people, if you can find them, try them, they're really good.