A professor fired to have showed images of Mohammed to a warned public....

Started by Rex Francorum, January 10, 2023, 08:09:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Then having the matança do porco giving kosher slaughtered pork, as you said, would be the icing on the cake.  :P

Admiral Yi

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on January 11, 2023, 01:47:37 PMI'm surprised it took so long for someone to bring up Byzantine/Orthodox iconoclasm.

It was what was in my mind when I brought the whole topic of "Christian iconoclasm" up in the first place. :blush:

Yeah but that one was weird. They would take down religious images and replace them with a picture of Apollo or a charioteer or something. And over 1,000 years ago and was eventually settled as the images were fine. And finally we don't even fully understand why it took place, what was the purpose behind it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 11, 2023, 02:23:35 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 11, 2023, 01:59:38 PMIt's Marxism with a thin veneer of Catholic theology.  Came up in the 1960s from Latin America.
Calm down John Paul :P

It's a little back in fashion now with Francis. Saint Oscar Romero and the Pope celebrating mass with renowned liberation theologians. I'd be orthodox :goodboy:

It's interesting that you brought it up in comparison to prosperity gospel, as IMHO they share the same flaw in both being entirely concerned with the everyday world.  Christ was pretty certain about the fact that His Kingdom would be in Heaven, not on earth.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: Jacob on January 11, 2023, 01:52:42 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 11, 2023, 09:17:54 AMOne of the most important aspects of the Reformation is that it over the centuries has saved A LOT of kids from getting sexually abused.

I think you're kidding yourself if you don't think there's sexual abuse of kids in organized protestant (or secular) institutions where adults have unsupervised power over children with few safeguards.

:unsure: Why would I think that?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on January 11, 2023, 02:01:30 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 11, 2023, 11:31:29 AM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on January 11, 2023, 09:37:12 AM
Quote from: The Brain on January 11, 2023, 09:17:54 AMOne of the most important aspects of the Reformation is that it over the centuries has saved A LOT of kids from getting sexually abused.

Eh, there's a lot of sexual abuse in Protestant and Orthodox churches, just not as heavily litigated / advertised.

It's the difference that matters. And how are Orthodox churches relevant here?

We don't really know that there is a difference. No other church has been investigated to the degree the Catholic church has, what I do see is just about every institution in which trusted non-familial adults have relatively unsupervised access to children, if you dig you find systemic abuse. This is teachers, priests, youth sports coaches, boy scout troop leaders etc. We simply don't have the comprehensive information we would need to make the assumptions you are making.

Yeah I'm sure the Knitting Grannies Association is just as bad as La Cosa Nostra when it comes to criminal activity. Since they haven't been investigated as much we simply can't say.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on January 11, 2023, 03:18:27 PMIt's interesting that you brought it up in comparison to prosperity gospel, as IMHO they share the same flaw in both being entirely concerned with the everyday world.  Christ was pretty certain about the fact that His Kingdom would be in Heaven, not on earth.
Yes - liberation theology, though, isn't about making the Kingdom of God on earth. Instead it's the is a preferential option for the poor - that the place to find Christ is the marginalised, the poor, the periphery and that the cause for the existence of the poor is greed which is a sin (even if it has been built into economic systems of exploitation).

Where they move into more controversial territory was that the way to practice as Christians was to participate in the liberation struggles of the poor and to improve their material condition - again because that is where you find Christ and God. And also it's where you break through yourself, your own selfishness, greed, self-absorption. It is a way of reaching beyond that to a community and the divine.

But as Francis (not a liberation theologian) put it "poverty is at the centre of the Gospel."

All of that makes sense to me. I genuinely have no idea how you get to prosperity theology.

Edit: Also think of Francis' line on giving to beggars being "always right" as long as you look them in the eyes, touch their hands rather than just tossing money at them. "Often we enter into a mindset of indifference: the poor person is there but we look the other way [...] stretch forth your hand to the poor: He is Christ."
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Quote from: The Brain on January 11, 2023, 03:25:24 PM:unsure: Why would I think that?

I don't know? But apparently you think Catholicism has something to do with it...?

The Brain

Quote from: Jacob on January 11, 2023, 03:47:05 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 11, 2023, 03:25:24 PM:unsure: Why would I think that?

I don't know? But apparently you think Catholicism has something to do with it...?

I don't follow. Do with what?

Jacob

Quote from: The Brain on January 11, 2023, 03:50:33 PM

That.

You asked why you'd think that. While it wasn't entirely clear to me what you meant by "that", presumably do?

The Brain

Quote from: Jacob on January 11, 2023, 03:54:37 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 11, 2023, 03:50:33 PM

That.

You asked why you'd think that. While it wasn't entirely clear to me what you meant by "that", presumably do?

As you know, for alternative B to be better than alternative A, B doesn't have to be perfect. It just has to be better than A. It is certainly possible to disagree with "B is better than A", but it makes little sense to assume that I think B is perfect just because I think that B is better than A.

Jacob

Quote from: The Brain on January 11, 2023, 03:58:31 PMAs you know, for alternative B to be better than alternative A, B doesn't have to be perfect. It just has to be better than A. It is certainly possible to disagree with "B is better than A", but it makes little sense to assume that I think B is perfect just because I think that B is better than A.

Okay. Thank you for clarifying.

The Brain