News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2022 Midterm Election MEGATHREAD

Started by Admiral Yi, November 05, 2022, 07:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Matt Gaetz just voted for Trump as new speaker, one day ahead of the January the 6th 2nd anniversary.

Zanza

Doesn't McCarthy have any dignity? How can you continue into the eighth round without any movement? 

OttoVonBismarck

Well McCarthy has literally been on his knees servicing every bad element of the GOP for about 7 years in dream of being the Speaker, so I assume he feels no compunction to save face. If he ends up walking away from this without the Speakership his political career is over--there's a non-zero chance he just resigns his House seat too.

Barrister

Quote from: Zanza on January 05, 2023, 02:04:49 PMDoesn't McCarthy have any dignity? How can you continue into the eighth round without any movement? 

He really, really wants to be Speaker.  He wants the prestige, the bust, the gavel.

He already came close but lost out in 2015.  If not know he'll never get another chance.

I saw a post along the lines of "well European countries often go months after an election before a government is formed".  But it's already been 2 months since the election, and the GOP has an absolute majority in congress.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on January 05, 2023, 02:04:49 PMDoesn't McCarthy have any dignity? How can you continue into the eighth round without any movement? 
I assume he washed that away when he decided to stay as a leading Republican during Trump's presidency.

Edit: But I agree - on a purely human level I don't understand putting up with this humiliation.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

If you ally yourself with Trump you have to be ready for humiliation. It just comes with the territory.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

What's been interesting is how irrelevant Trump has been to the whole proceedings.

I mean sure - he's endorsed McCarthy, several times, but some of the biggest Jan 6 election deniers are in the "no" camp and they don't seem to be facing any heat for defying Trump.

HisMajestyBOB

Seen elsewhere:
If I had a nickle every time McCarthy lost the vote to become Speaker, I'd have 35 cents. Which isn't a lot, but the fact that it's happened seven times is hilarious.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

The Minsky Moment

Answers:
1. No.
2. He thinks he is playing a game of chicken and can get the other side to swerve first.  What he doesn't seem to get is that other side has already gone over the cliff cheering and pumping their fists.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Zanza

The twenty freedom caucus members seem to be principled within their own crazy world. They probably do not even perceive the situation as embarrassing and damaging for the party, but rather see themselves as resistance heros fighting the establishment. How would they ever vote for McCarthy?  That goes against their deepest political convictions.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on January 05, 2023, 03:31:56 PMSeen elsewhere:
If I had a nickle every time McCarthy lost the vote to become Speaker, I'd have 35 cents. Which isn't a lot, but the fact that it's happened seven times is hilarious.

Correction: 45 cents, going on 50.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

PDH

Jesus, McCarthy has a worse record than Wyoming football...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on January 05, 2023, 02:08:53 PMI saw a post along the lines of "well European countries often go months after an election before a government is formed".  But it's already been 2 months since the election, and the GOP has an absolute majority in congress.

Also this is the speakership, not the head of government. Even in hung parliaments this is more or less automatic in most places.

(Actually our system would have elected Jeffries since it just goes to top vote-getter, regardless of quorum)

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on January 05, 2023, 05:25:29 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 05, 2023, 02:08:53 PMI saw a post along the lines of "well European countries often go months after an election before a government is formed".  But it's already been 2 months since the election, and the GOP has an absolute majority in congress.

Also this is the speakership, not the head of government. Even in hung parliaments this is more or less automatic in most places.

(Actually our system would have elected Jeffries since it just goes to top vote-getter, regardless of quorum)

That's kind of a whole different discussion, but yeah in a Parliamentary system the Speaker is nominally an apolitical position.  It goes to a partisan politician, but they don't vote unless to break a tie.  The equivalent to the "majority leader" is the important position.

But then again in a Parliamentary system you would whip this vote and call another election if you don't have majority support all while kicking out the recalcitrant members from running again.