Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

They have this in the UK too. Though there's loads of restrictions based on income and an industry rife with cowboys who don't do a very good job.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josquius on January 02, 2023, 04:23:44 PMThey have this in the UK too. Though there's loads of restrictions based on income and an industry rife with cowboys who don't do a very good job.
Many cowboys. But subsidies were slashed and need to go up - but while housing is a little complicated and expensive, it's comparatively low-hanging fruit on reducing emissions.

Edit: Can see really easily here when the coalition decided to cut subsidies - same old stroy cut investment to save money, face more expensive consequences down the road :bleeding:

No surprise on Germany given that famous Merkel quote when asked what she thought of when she thought of Germany: "I think of airtight windows. No other country can build such nice and airtight windows." :lol:

QuoteI haven't seen that much on the energy efficiency front from any European country, UK included.  Some talks about heat pumps, but not much being said and done about better insulation for buildings.  No matter what source of energy you use, if you don't have better insulation, it's wasted energy to cool in the summer and heat in the winter.
Cooling in the summer isn't really a common thing or the UK or most of the rest of Northern Europe at least - it's one of the reasons heatwaves can be quite lethal. It's very rare to have AC - I just checked and in the UK only 0.5% of homes have it.

But our building are generally awful. Bad in the heat, bad in the cold and really designed for a very narrow band of quite mild weather.

Edit: And I'm not sure it matters about wasted energy if the energy is electricity and we keep making the grid more renewable. People have a bit of a judgemental attitude to AC here - but I think if you have it and sign up for green tariff then it's no worse than electric heating and far better than the gas boilers that are still the standard form of heating (although they're being banned for new builds in 2025).
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 02, 2023, 04:42:27 PMBut our building are generally awful. Bad in the heat, bad in the cold and really designed for a very narrow band of quite mild weather.
Yeah, it's what I figured.  We have done some progress on this front over here in the last few years.

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 02, 2023, 04:42:27 PMEdit: And I'm not sure it matters about wasted energy if the energy is electricity and we keep making the grid more renewable. People have a bit of a judgemental attitude to AC here - but I think if you have it and sign up for green tariff then it's no worse than electric heating and far better than the gas boilers that are still the standard form of heating (although they're being banned for new builds in 2025).
It reduces the needs for new energy sources, therefore it keeps the price lowers and the environmental footprint lower too.  "Clean energy" means it does not emit CO2, but there are other source of pollution, either for the raw materials used or other damages or consequences that can be created with the sources.  There's always a limit to what you can build.  And I doubt any country will reach 100% renewable very soon anyway.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Fun thing, my parents live close to a house that was bought by a Russian family as their summer vacation home some years ago - it's a large property, these guys aren't oligarch-level or anything but they are certainly well-off. Well, apparently the family moved in when Putin decreed mobilization and they have stayed there since. The neighbor in front has put up a large Ukrainian flag on his window.

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on January 03, 2023, 03:13:02 AMFun thing, my parents live close to a house that was bought by a Russian family as their summer vacation home some years ago - it's a large property, these guys aren't oligarch-level or anything but they are certainly well-off. Well, apparently the family moved in when Putin decreed mobilization and they have stayed there since. The neighbor in front has put up a large Ukrainian flag on his window.

:lol: Well done, neighbour.

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on January 03, 2023, 03:13:02 AMFun thing, my parents live close to a house that was bought by a Russian family as their summer vacation home some years ago - it's a large property, these guys aren't oligarch-level or anything but they are certainly well-off. Well, apparently the family moved in when Putin decreed mobilization and they have stayed there since. The neighbor in front has put up a large Ukrainian flag on his window.

How are they allowed to be there? - is there not a 3 month time limit on how long non EUers can stay?

I wonder how the Russians feel about this. Left when mobilisation started and well off but not rich are factors that would seem to point towards a secret agreement with their neighbour.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Josquius on January 03, 2023, 06:33:25 AM

How are they allowed to be there? - is there not a 3 month time limit on how long non EUers can stay?

I wonder how the Russians feel about this. Left when mobilisation started and well off but not rich are factors that would seem to point towards a secret agreement with their neighbour.

I presume they got a golden visa for buying the house.

Legbiter

The square in front of the Russian embassy here in Reykjavík was renamed Kænugarður back in August. :thumbsup:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

Updated the thread title as we've slipped into another year.

What is it now about 40 days short of a full year since last years invasion.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

Russian guy I have been following on Youtube seems to agree with the Ukrainian assessment that general mobilisation and total war is imminent, and lists several reasons he is seeing in Russia to base this on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNrBJynx_I4

The Brain

What equipment will they use? Who will train them?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: The Brain on January 04, 2023, 05:25:33 PMWhat equipment will they use? Who will train them?
See HVC's response.  At this point, Russia is still hoping the West will tire of sending supplies to Ukraine and they will eventually either overcome them of destroy enough of the place that it won't matter if they retreat.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.