Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

I mean if you go back and watch Zelensky's tv show, Servant of the People, he's wearing a suit in almost every scene.  He's hardly allergic to them.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

It looks a little gimmicky away from the battlefield.

mongers

And might Churchill have warn his 'boiler suit' in a wartime visit to the US? :unsure:

Here he is disrespecting Ike, presumably somewhere in the UK judging by the train carriage:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on December 21, 2022, 05:02:51 PMAnd might Churchill have warn his 'boiler suit' in a wartime visit to the US? :unsure:
Let's be honest, it's a romper suit :P

I think, in the age of TV, he probably would have. He certainly understood and wasn't averse to a gesture :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 21, 2022, 05:06:24 PM
Quote from: mongers on December 21, 2022, 05:02:51 PMAnd might Churchill have warn his 'boiler suit' in a wartime visit to the US? :unsure:
Let's be honest, it's a romper suit :P

I think, in the age of TV, he probably would have. He certainly understood and wasn't averse to a gesture :lol:

Indeed.
And I think this one might be at the White House or somewhere else in washington:

From this FDR Library page about their relationship:
https://fdrlibrary.tumblr.com/post/88377688254/day-19-visits-by-winston-churchill-it-is-fun-to
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Tamas

His countrymen are suffering in the cold and dark, not to mention waging a ww1 style battle against the Russians right now.

Wearing his wartime clothing is a symbol of him being part of their efforts and fightsband keeping that above all else, even when he is half a world away in safety and warmth in the US. And as Celed wrote putting a suit on would now signal he thinks the fight is over, which it isn't

Tonitrus

The silly obsession with suit-wearing protocol, and the idea that in certain situations they are somehow obligatory, is...well..silly.

OttoVonBismarck

What's silly is thinking decorum doesn't matter. Grow up, learn some respect.

HVC

By the day after Biden won't even remember he met him :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

Has a non-American ever complained about Zelensky not wearing a suit?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Agreed. It's weird. I'd love to see some politicians showing up to work not in suits
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 21, 2022, 05:58:02 PMWhat's silly is thinking decorum doesn't matter. Grow up, learn some respect.

Actually what Zelenskys outfit is showing is that he thinks decorum matters a lot. He is showcasing his focus on and solidarity with his fighting countrymen/women.

Habbaku

Otto's still complaining about Kaiser Wilhelm's boat shoes.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

OttoVonBismarck

Also, I feel like I win the argument on decorum when the best counterpoint is...Winston Churchill. Dude used to have meetings with his staff while he was in his bathtub.