News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

So it appears Frasier/Kelsey Grammer is getting a sequel-series starting next year sometime...

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 18, 2022, 11:47:13 PMSo it appears Frasier/Kelsey Grammer is getting a sequel-series starting next year sometime...

Witty banter at the retirement home?

Josquius

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 18, 2022, 11:47:13 PMSo it appears Frasier/Kelsey Grammer is getting a sequel-series starting next year sometime...
A series which for some reason just hasn't aged well at all.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on October 19, 2022, 09:00:53 AM

:huh:

That is the most incorrect comment in the history of incorrect comments.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

When I started working on TV everybody was obsessed with Frasier, I remember working on my first show (a sitcom) a and the producer would give us a Frasier sequence template as a blueprint, we would even scour the fledging Internet to download transcripts. Somehow, its impact has faded away compared to other big 1990s sitcoms.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on October 19, 2022, 09:54:38 AMWhen I started working on TV everybody was obsessed with Frasier, I remember working on my first show (a sitcom) a and the producer would give us a Frasier sequence template as a blueprint, we would even scour the fledging Internet to download transcripts. Somehow, its impact has faded away compared to other big 1990s sitcoms.
I think Frasier is weird though - personally it's my favourite, I see episodes on TV fairly regularly and think it holds up incredibly well. But I think there is a particular gay thing with Frasier because the cast and writing room were so gay, but also the fundamental of the setting - two fancy boy sons with a blue collar dad - is fairly relatable to many gay men :ph34r: :lol: And its the only sitcom of that era where there are gay episodes (the ski lodge, Patrick Stewart) that are good and not just about gay panic - Frasier accidentally gets a boyfriend and plays along for theatre tickets.

I also think the best episodes are farce which is, I think, really difficult to pull off successfully but also perhaps a little unfashionable? Can't think of any shows that really try it now?

Jumping into the Traumazone:
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

I just always found the Frasier character to be pretty unpleasant.  I mean at least in part he was written that way, but while I watched the show back in the 90s it was never a favourite.  The side characters (Niles, Daphne, the dad) were much more interesting and relatable.

But I felt the same way about Seinfeld which was also a huge hit so obviously my tastes are not universal.

What the new show ought to do is flip the script and centre the show on Frasier's now-adult son Frederick, while Frasier is now the grumpy dad living with his son.  Frasier remains a latte-sipping urbanite, while Frederick... I dunno just spitballing, despite his academic gifts (which were mentioned in the show) winds up in a more blue-collar job which Frasier hates.  Maybe he's even a cop like his grandfather.  Just don't make him MAGA.

But as I understand it the show will be focused on the Frasier Crane character, despite me not being very clear how many exciting stories will be told about a character nearing his 70s.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

The Archgeront frowns on your ageism.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on October 19, 2022, 11:46:07 AMBut as I understand it the show will be focused on the Frasier Crane character, despite me not being very clear how many exciting stories will be told about a character nearing his 70s.
I was going to suggest One Foot in the Grave as a model - but just looked it up and realised all the actors were in the fifties.

So I'm going to sit and think about that for a while instead :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

I expect the show to flop because Kelsey has shown his Trumpist colors.  He has been CANCELLED.

FunkMonk

I had a crush on Daphne so I watched the show regularly in the 90s.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

HVC

Quote from: Tamas on October 19, 2022, 09:03:09 AM
Quote from: Josquius on October 19, 2022, 09:00:53 AM

:huh:

That is the most incorrect comment in the history of incorrect comments.

I'm pretty sure he's made more incorrect comments in the past :P

I was wondering why Frasier reruns were on all of a sudden. Guess that explains it. As BB said I don't think a 70 year old characters point of view will have much appeal.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 19, 2022, 01:41:42 PMI had a crush on Daphne so I watched the show regularly in the 90s.

it was the accent.  :perv:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tamas

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 19, 2022, 01:41:42 PMI had a crush on Daphne so I watched the show regularly in the 90s.

Have you seen that one Benny Hill episode? :perv: