Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threviel

I think the Ukrainians are very clever in their offensives. A motti is difficult to destroy, 5000 or so soldiers fighting for their life is another Mariupol. Could take weeks or months and cost thousands of lives to take.

If an avenue of retreat, however vulnerable, is left open the almost encircled enemy will try to retreat that way and it becomes a killing field, a mini-Falaise. It's what we'll hopefully see in Kherson and what we see in Lyman. The goal isn't to kill every Russian, it's to get the fuckers out of Ukraine and the cheapest way to do that is to get them to run to the border themselves, preferably under fire.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Threviel on October 01, 2022, 03:57:46 PMI think the Ukrainians are very clever in their offensives. A motti is difficult to destroy, 5000 or so soldiers fighting for their life is another Mariupol. Could take weeks or months and cost thousands of lives to take.

If an avenue of retreat, however vulnerable, is left open the almost encircled enemy will try to retreat that way and it becomes a killing field, a mini-Falaise. It's what we'll hopefully see in Kherson and what we see in Lyman. The goal isn't to kill every Russian, it's to get the fuckers out of Ukraine and the cheapest way to do that is to get them to run to the border themselves, preferably under fire.

not to mention 'convincing' them to leave their equipment behind, so it can act as resupply and reinforcement of the UAF.

Admiral Yi

It's cool how all the horn heads are using the word motti now.  I had to look it up.

viper37

Quote from: Threviel on October 01, 2022, 03:57:46 PMI think the Ukrainians are very clever in their offensives. A motti is difficult to destroy, 5000 or so soldiers fighting for their life is another Mariupol. Could take weeks or months and cost thousands of lives to take.

If an avenue of retreat, however vulnerable, is left open the almost encircled enemy will try to retreat that way and it becomes a killing field, a mini-Falaise.
well, that's from Sun Tzu's book.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Zanza

Putin blamed the Anglo-Saxons for the Nordstream destruction and now compelling evidence has been found:

OttoVonBismarck

I heard that same thing, I honestly wondered if that was a weird "lost in translation" thing from Russian:English? Or what's going on there...

Zoupa

Anglosaxons is used quite a bit in France, usually meaning the UK & US.

It might also be used the same way in russia.

Tamas

Yeah altough not frequently, but in Hungary as well "Anglo-Saxon countries" is used alto reference the US and UK together.

Syt

It's not very common anymore I think, but angelsächsisch was used to refer to the British (and esp. English) in German; in a wider sense ("anglo-saxon world") it could also extend to the US, Canada, Australia/NZ, but that's even rarer.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

The Americans use it themselves in the term White Anglo-Saxon Protestant (WASP), right?

celedhring

Quote from: Tamas on October 02, 2022, 01:29:49 AMYeah altough not frequently, but in Hungary as well "Anglo-Saxon countries" is used alto reference the US and UK together.

Same here.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zanza on October 02, 2022, 03:00:26 AMThe Americans use it themselves in the term White Anglo-Saxon Protestant (WASP), right?

It's not a term you hear very much any more.

There was some discussion a while ago about the formation of an "Anglosphere."

Legbiter

Ukrainians advanced some distance in Kherson overnight. It seems it's finally coming together, Western logistics, training and equipment together with Ukrainian grit and numbers. :hmm:   
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zoupa on October 02, 2022, 01:02:37 AMAnglosaxons is used quite a bit in France, usually meaning the UK & US.

It might also be used the same way in russia.

Back in the day Anglo-Saxon meant white and ancestors from Britain.

In these parts, WASPs were the ruling elite. But in my lifetime that has changed dramatically. I have not heard that term being used since about the late 80s.

mongers

Quote from: Legbiter on October 02, 2022, 06:58:51 AMUkrainians advanced some distance in Kherson overnight. It seems it's finally coming together, Western logistics, training and equipment together with Ukrainian grit and numbers. :hmm:

:cool:

Good to hear and calling Putin's bluff as well.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"