Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on September 30, 2022, 03:43:44 PM
Quote from: Jacob on September 30, 2022, 02:53:38 PMIf missiles are in the air I won't be thinking of you at all. Sorry :(

Please do as he says.  If the use of the missiles is tied to Dorsey being right about something, the missiles will never get fired.

I don't think the missiles will get fired, for the record.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on September 30, 2022, 01:04:16 PM
Quote from: viper37 on September 30, 2022, 11:56:20 AM
Quote from: grumbler on September 29, 2022, 10:32:15 PM
Quote from: viper37 on September 29, 2022, 10:01:14 PMthey regularly blow up pipelines that create ecological disasters.  And animal rights activists regularly cruelly slaughter animals to prove their point about animal suffering.  Contradictions isn't really an alibi...  Means, however... 

:huh:  :tinfoil:
right, because slaughtering a duck by repeatedly hitting it to a pillar while your friend is filming it to simulate cruel and inhumane behavior at a slaughterhouse is totally acceptable.

Just as is repeatedly hooking a seal to maintain him on the ice while he bleeds to death for an hour while you film your documentary denouncing the cruelty of seal hunting is a justifiable act.  All for a good cause, after all.

And never, ever has any eco-terrorist blow up a pipeline.  Never.  Oil companies blow them up themselves to accuse to peaceful protesters of mischievous acts.

It was sure convenient for Russia for eco-terrorists to blow up the pipeline just in time for Putin to use it in his propaganda speech.
I specifically said I doubt they could have done it here for logistical reasons.  Bombing an underwater pipeline requires different equipement and training than what you would do overland.

And right now, they would have no gain in doing it, anyway, as the pipeline is not active, it's simply used as a storage tank.

They have other, juicier targets if they want to.  But Grumbler has denied there is such a thing as eco-terrorism, so we shall not mention it again. :shutup:   We'll let eco-activists talk about it, instead.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on September 30, 2022, 04:31:20 PM
Quote from: grumbler on September 30, 2022, 03:43:44 PM
Quote from: Jacob on September 30, 2022, 02:53:38 PMIf missiles are in the air I won't be thinking of you at all. Sorry :(

Please do as he says.  If the use of the missiles is tied to Dorsey being right about something, the missiles will never get fired.
Even if missiles were in the air, he will still be wrong. Russia does not have thousands and thousands of missiles.

As someone noted above, they have 513.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on September 30, 2022, 05:18:26 PMI never said anything about strategic missiles...maybe some of those are to be deployed by bombers or not mounted on stand alone missiles...but it seems russia is bumping up against 6k nuclear warheads. per reuters:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/what-is-chain-command-potential-russian-nuclear-strikes-2022-03-02/

WHAT NUCLEAR CAPABILITIES DOES RUSSIA HAVE?
The Federation of American Scientists estimates that Russia has 5,977 nuclear warheads, more than any other country. Of these, 1,588 are deployed and ready for use. Its missiles can be fired from the land, by submarines and by airplanes. Putin oversaw a coordinated test of Russia's nuclear forces on Feb. 19 shortly before ordering troops into Ukraine. read more

Note the difference between 5,997 (a curious "estimate!") and 1,588 that are actually ready for use.  Like the US, Russia cannot dispose of its excess warheads quickly, but it also cannot use them in war (which would be over long before they could be configured to be used on any operational missiles or aircraft).  Almost 1600 is still a big number, of course.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on September 30, 2022, 06:14:33 PMBut Grumbler has denied there is such a thing as eco-terrorism, so we shall not mention it again. :shutup:   

Does lying make your pee-pee stiff, or do you lie for non-sexual gratification?  It can't be because you expect people to believe your lies.  Obvious lie is obvious, and everyone knows what I said and didn't say about your previous whoppers.

Trumpismo isn't just a US problem, it seems.

Bayraktar!

PRC

Re: Putin's speech and wokeism, or whatever you want to label it, saw this on Twitter:

Tamas

:lol:

I saw on Twitter some guy translating the speech in detail, I think to show people how scary/unhinged it was.

What he got instead are almost exclusively replies from people (judging by flags next to their nicks, Brits) saying "well yeah Putin has a point you know"

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on October 01, 2022, 01:48:28 AM:lol:

I saw on Twitter some guy translating the speech in detail, I think to show people how scary/unhinged it was.

What he got instead are almost exclusively replies from people (judging by flags next to their nicks, Brits) saying "well yeah Putin has a point you know"

What I find particularly curious is this kind of person is also very likely to have a Ukrainian flag in their garden or at least somewhere on their profile. The local fascist pub near my parents replaced their tatty 'lest we forget' (ironic) flag with a Ukrainian one.
Meanwhile where you do find pro-Russian useful idiots they're very much from the opposite side.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Lyman would seem like an opportunity for Putin to demonstrate his intent or not.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Legbiter

To have a deep effect on the front he'd need to detonate a few dozen small nuclear warheads on concentrated Ukrainian forces and then immediately have an armored spearhead drive through the gaps to exploit and get in the Ukrainian rear. The Ukrainians are not that heavily concentrated, there are no operational Russian reserves left to speak of, just ragged Kampfgruppe manning defensive positions plus he would at that point get dropped by China and India and NATO could start blowing his shit up. The nuclear talk has been repeated every other day, so nothing new. Real nuclear brinkmanship would be tangible such as observable movement of mobile missile launchers, Russian rocket forces set on higher alert, etc. The US in response would start inching up their DEFCON level and dispersing their forces. :hmm:

It's not like Western nuclear powers themselves are helpless and can't threaten back. Hell, France could declare today that Ukraine was under their nuclear umbrella and that's that. Some of it would not even have to be publicly stated for Russia to get the message.

In short Putin is fake and gay and every day from now on, a loser as well.   
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

The Larch

Quote from: mongers on October 01, 2022, 07:57:35 AMLyman would seem like an opportunity for Putin to demonstrate his intent or not.

QuoteRussian forces leave Lyman
Russian troops have pulled out of the town of the strategic city of Lyman in eastern Ukraine "due to the risk to be encircled" and moved to "more advantageous frontiers", Russia's ministry of defence said via Telegram on Saturday.

Ukraine forces encircled Russian forces in the eastern town earlier today where Russia's forces at Lyman totalled about 5,000 to 5,500 soldiers. Ukrainian soldiers were later seen raising the nation's flag before the entrance sign to the city.

The retreat comes a day after Vladimir Putin signed "accession treaties" formalising Russia's illegal annexation of four occupied regions in Ukraine, marking the largest forcible takeover of territory in Europe since the second world war.

Josquius

Wonder what happened there. I thought Ukraine had them encircled for destruction.
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

Quote from: Josquius on October 01, 2022, 11:57:57 AMWonder what happened there. I thought Ukraine had them encircled for destruction.
I don't think they were completely encircled, but Ukraine had the only avenue of escape in their sights.  Who knows what share of the Russian force was actually successful at retreating, with all their equipment.

Legbiter

Judging by the more graphic clips on social media the Russians had 1 route of escape which was under Ukrainian drone observation and artillery cover. A lot of burnt-out Russian softskinned vehicles and sizzled human flesh chunks/paste. Luhansk seems wide open for now.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.