Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Now he is citing the bombing of Nazi Germany and using nukes on Japan as bad things.

Also using the Opium Wars to justify his actions.

It's an old guy ranting. Would be ridiculous if it wasn't the Tsar of Russia presently engaged in a major war.

Tamas

Now are on to defending children from being introduced additional genders.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tamas on September 30, 2022, 07:51:11 AMNow are on to defending children from being introduced additional genders.

Yeah, Russian syntax has neutral already and is complex enough as it is.  :lol:

OttoVonBismarck

The reason this doesn't even compare to the Cuban Missile Crisis is all that has happened is one side has used rhetoric. A big part of why Khruschev blinked during CMC is the U.S. entered--and the Soviets knew this, a state of extreme nuclear readiness. We were basically holding our finger on the firing button--note it was us who did this, the Soviets actually were very careful to not do anything, because they were so freaked out they thought if they did anything with their nuclear forces it might prompt us to go ahead and press the button--it's also the case that in so much as anyone can, in the CMC era we would have "won" a nuclear war. Meaning while we would have suffered some cities nuked, we would've still had enough not get nuked that we could continue our government and country--the USSR would literally no longer exist.

Vague threats that you might use a nuke were fairly common place in the Cold War, it's important to note Putin has done nothing beyond that.

celedhring

The speech has been a rabidly anti-west and anti-progressive diatribe, but it has lacked any kind of concrete threat. I suppose that's a good thing?

Legbiter

Quote from: celedhring on September 30, 2022, 08:08:38 AMThe speech has been a rabidly anti-west and anti-progressive diatribe, but it has lacked any kind of concrete threat. I suppose that's a good thing?

Yeah looks like it.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on September 30, 2022, 08:08:38 AMThe speech has been a rabidly anti-west and anti-progressive diatribe, but it has lacked any kind of concrete threat. I suppose that's a good thing?

Yeah I guess. For me the most striking was the audience. Even when they stood up to applause the end, there was not a single enthusiastic/happy face, even the first row couldn't bear to pretend.

And definitely not overly keen during the speech:

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on September 30, 2022, 05:29:30 AM(snip) Russia isn't some rogue state with 5, 10, or even 500 missiles. It has thousands.

As an FYI, it has 513 strategic missiles as of the last New START reporting.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Legbiter

Tamas

Quote from: Legbiter on September 30, 2022, 08:23:57 AMStalin would have sorted them out.

:lol: yeah I bet there were no such scenes on his meetings.

FunkMonk

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on September 30, 2022, 07:54:48 AMit's also the case that in so much as anyone can, in the CMC era we would have "won" a nuclear war. Meaning while we would have suffered some cities nuked, we would've still had enough not get nuked that we could continue our government and country--the USSR would literally no longer exist.

I find this really interesting. Is this general consensus on what would have happened had nukes dropped in '62? Any plausible estimates on casualties?

It makes me think of a "Fallout-lite" scenario but with the U.S. government still intact. Although I guess there was still a remnant of the government in that video game.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Legbiter

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 29, 2022, 07:53:00 PMBy Friday morning on the US east coast, the pocket will have collapsed.

Not immediately if they're on Not One Step Back orders. ;) :lol: 

celedhring

Vlad really needs to hire shorter puppet governors.

Zanza

Josephus

Quote from: Tamas on September 30, 2022, 07:51:11 AMNow are on to defending children from being introduced additional genders.

well, that's worth a nuclear war.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011