Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on September 15, 2022, 11:16:54 AMUkrainian citizens living in Russian-occupied territories who accepted Russian passports are being turned away at the Russian border and told to present their Ukrainian passports:

https://twitter.com/Podolyak_M/status/1570370006936072193

:lol:
That's simply bizzare. I wonder why.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 14, 2022, 09:51:49 PMI know I am extremely left but I am not a tankie. Russia is the enemy. Having the USA has the hegemon is sometimes very annoying but I have no desire to replace it with the Xi-Putin project.
that's what I like about you. You still have some rationality left in you.  :hug:

Now, forget your commie vote and try PQ at least. :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: Josquius on September 15, 2022, 11:55:27 AM
Quote from: Barrister on September 15, 2022, 11:16:54 AMUkrainian citizens living in Russian-occupied territories who accepted Russian passports are being turned away at the Russian border and told to present their Ukrainian passports:

Russia doesn't wan the people (whom they'd just have to help feed and cloth).  It wants the land.  Having people living on that land with "Russian" passports is useful.  Having those people move to Russia is not.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

Quote from: Barrister on September 15, 2022, 12:03:24 PM
Quote from: Josquius on September 15, 2022, 11:55:27 AM

Russia doesn't wan the people (whom they'd just have to help feed and cloth).  It wants the land.  Having people living on that land with "Russian" passports is useful.  Having those people move to Russia is not.

Yeah it seems like just another example of how cruel inhumane and dysfunctional a society they have.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Barrister on September 15, 2022, 10:34:34 AMLiving in a country where so many things are named after things from Europe it amuses me that there is a town in Ukraine named New York.

Mind you as I checked the Wiki page for New York, Ukraine, it becomes more sad when I learn it was a Mennonite community (lots of mennonites back home in Manitoba), but that all the original Mennonite inhabitants were deported to Kazakhstan by Stalin in 1951.

Fuck the Mennonites. But yeah, I always find it interesting when you find random European towns named after American cities, it is a little more common than you'd think. Certainly, nowhere near as common as the reverse, but there's actually a lot of little towns in England for example with North American place names--Toronto, Columbia, Philadelphia etc.

Barrister

Razgovory

I think Maximus was Mennonite.  He had to post here by carrier pigeon or something.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HVC

Are the Mennonite the ones that  use unpaid youth labour for everything?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on September 15, 2022, 12:48:36 PMI think Maximus was Mennonite.  He had to post here by carrier pigeon or something.

Maximus was/is mennonite, though has left the faith.

Quote from: HVC on September 15, 2022, 12:48:37 PMAre the Mennonite the ones that  use unpaid youth labour for everything?

Mennonite as famously diverse in their beliefs.  If you go into a small Mennonite community you will find multiple different Mennonite churches, all with slightly differing beliefs.  The Amish are a mennonite sub-group that are particularly conservative, but not all mennos are anything like the Amish.  So some probably do a lot of youth labour, but then again that's pretty common on all kinds of family farms, religious or not.

As I understand it, Maximus's family was particularly conservative (but again not to the degree the amish are).

Crazy_Ivan80

As they say in Dutch: "wie zijn gat verbrand moet op de blaren zitten" (you've made your bed, etc etc)

HVC

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. When I said child labour I meant to ones that send teens out as manual labour (mostly farm day laborers but I think logging too) while the the elders pocket the money. Didn't mean the "regular" child labour on the family farm.

Although I didn't know Amish were mennonites. I thought they were just a separate but similar thing.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Tamas

The same (somewhat questionable) pro-government Hungarian site that first reported (of what I have seen) of the dissenting St. Petersburg council members, is now reporting of an apparent assassination attempt against Putin.

Allegedly his car got rerouted due to some accident and then there was some sort of bang/explosion off one of the wheels, and now bodyguards are being questioned on who ratted out the route.

I am not seeing it mentioned anywhere else but they were proven right on this previous St. Petersburg early reporting. 

Barrister

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on September 15, 2022, 01:01:35 PM

As they say in Dutch: "wie zijn gat verbrand moet op de blaren zitten" (you've made your bed, etc etc)

Imagine you're living in a warzone.  You're having trouble getting basic supplies, almost no access to medical care.  You have no idea if there's any hope that Ukraine will liberate you.  I have trouble being angry at Ukrainians in occupied territories accepting a Russian passport, even though by most reports most have not.

Here's one story about a lady who took a Russian passport in order to get access to free medical care in Crimea, only to find out her passport was useless.

https://twitter.com/DecodingTrolls/status/1568104687601160195

Tamas

Quote from: Tamas on September 15, 2022, 01:08:23 PMThe same (somewhat questionable) pro-government Hungarian site that first reported (of what I have seen) of the dissenting St. Petersburg council members, is now reporting of an apparent assassination attempt against Putin.

Allegedly his car got rerouted due to some accident and then there was some sort of bang/explosion off one of the wheels, and now bodyguards are being questioned on who ratted out the route.

I am not seeing it mentioned anywhere else but they were proven right on this previous St. Petersburg early reporting.

Don't mind me, it's from the Daily Mail: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11212515/Putins-limousine-hit-loud-bang-possible-attack.html

HVC

Quote from: Tamas on September 15, 2022, 01:08:23 PMThe same (somewhat questionable) pro-government Hungarian site that first reported (of what I have seen) of the dissenting St. Petersburg council members, is now reporting of an apparent assassination attempt against Putin.

So how many body guards are going to fall out windows on the account of a blown out tire?