News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

God Save The King

Started by Caliga, September 08, 2022, 12:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on September 14, 2022, 11:04:01 AMAh man. You gotta go and tell us how weird it is. When are you going to have the next chance to see something like this?
I'm very worried that if you accidentally join you won't be let out until, ten miles later, you've seen the coffin :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on September 14, 2022, 11:05:23 AMAh. Is that weird? It just seems normal in the 2020s  :lol:

Every thing gets freaking livestreamed.
:lol: Yeah I really enjoyed the day on the British internet when 500k people were watching a livestream of a big puddle.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 14, 2022, 11:06:41 AM
Quote from: Valmy on September 14, 2022, 11:04:01 AMAh man. You gotta go and tell us how weird it is. When are you going to have the next chance to see something like this?
I'm very worried that if you accidentally join you won't be let out until, ten miles later, you've seen the coffin :ph34r:

There will be beefeaters with halberds blocking every exit  :lol:

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

I don't need to see Her Majesty's body in order to show respects, but I would be tempted to get in line to do so just for the sheer experience of it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on September 14, 2022, 11:10:17 AMI don't need to see Her Majesty's body in order to show respects, but I would be tempted to get in line to do so just for the sheer experience of it.

Oh yeah if I was in London I would absolutely be there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Maladict

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 14, 2022, 10:18:12 AMRe livestreams, there is one of the graphic of how long the queue is :lol:
https://youtu.be/9NpZuGxSgZY

Edit: Also -
Too much 49%
About right 41%
Too little 2%

I am in awe of the 2%.

It's going to stretch into the next hemisphere soon.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on September 14, 2022, 11:15:16 AM
Quote from: Barrister on September 14, 2022, 11:10:17 AMI don't need to see Her Majesty's body in order to show respects, but I would be tempted to get in line to do so just for the sheer experience of it.

I would too.  Not because I care too much about the woman they are mourning - but I love being involved in community events.  City wide arts festivals are better for that though.  :)

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 14, 2022, 11:35:24 AM

I would too.  Not because I care too much about the woman they are mourning - but I love being involved in community events.  City wide arts festivals are better for that though.  :)

I mean you care a little. We are at least all familiar with her and what she stood for. The world's most famous corgi fan.

City wide art festivals happen every year though. I really only need to go once. Same with this. If Charles died next year I probably wouldn't go.

Sheilbh

It does go against my natural instinct to join any crowd I see (led to me going on some accidental demonstrations :ph34r:).

But waiting in a queue for up to 30 hours is a bit beyond me :lol:

Given the route of the queue I think it should at least go through Borough Market and Tate Modern so you can see some sights on the way.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on September 13, 2022, 01:53:50 PMThat's why you pay taxes, and everything you own has already been taxed. No need to tax it a second time (or in case of Belgium: a second, third, fourth and fifth time)

But you are dead, so you have no objection to having goods taxed a second or third time.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

In Sweden the full old-style royal ceremonies fell out of use in the 20th century. For instance, the latest Swedish king to have a coronation was Oscar II in 1873. And the latest Swedish king to be buried in the traditional Riddarholm Church was Gustaf V in 1950.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: The Brain on September 14, 2022, 12:15:02 PMIn Sweden the full old-style royal ceremonies fell out of use in the 20th century. For instance, the latest Swedish king to have a coronation was Oscar II in 1873. And the latest Swedish king to be buried in the traditional Riddarholm Church was Gustaf V in 1950.

What's the point of having a monarch if you aren't going to have old-style royal ceremonies?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on September 14, 2022, 11:45:06 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 14, 2022, 11:35:24 AM

I mean you care a little. We are at least all familiar with her and what she stood for. The world's most famous corgi fan.

City wide art festivals happen every year though. I really only need to go once. Same with this. If Charles died next year I probably wouldn't go.

There are a bunch of good reasons why Charles (or any other monarch) would not be mourned in the same way

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on September 14, 2022, 12:17:01 PM
Quote from: The Brain on September 14, 2022, 12:15:02 PMIn Sweden the full old-style royal ceremonies fell out of use in the 20th century. For instance, the latest Swedish king to have a coronation was Oscar II in 1873. And the latest Swedish king to be buried in the traditional Riddarholm Church was Gustaf V in 1950.

What's the point of having a monarch if you aren't going to have old-style royal ceremonies?

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

Here's an honest question. IF the Queen died at the height of COVID, during the lockdowns...would there still be a state funeral, and all this pomp and ceremony?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011