Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy_Ivan80

@threviel: what I heard is that most bridges were degraded to the extent that heavy equipement can't cross it anymore, but people can. Basically forcing the Russians to retreat with just what they can carry. Part of the Russian lend-lease program to strengthen the Ukrainian army

Barrister

Interesting.  Now that the Ukrainians are on the offensive they've adopted the "write a symbol on your vehicles to help identify friend or foe".

Instead of a "Z" or an "O", they're using a "+".

And they're using that + on a lot of repurposed civilian vehicles as well.

Is this something western militaries do as well?  Or is it a soviet thing?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Quote from: Threviel on September 12, 2022, 11:54:06 AMNormally in battle you aren't after a total annihilation of the enemy but their retreat. If the Ukrainians want the Russians out of Kherson they should leave them an avenue of retreat. Make it a bad avenue forcing them to do a Falaise pocket retreat if possible, but still a retreat. That way they achieve their objectives with minimal loss of Ukrainian lives. A cornered enemy with no avenue of retreat is simply forced to fight it out and that's a lot costlier.

It looks like this is not what they are doing, they have himarsed every bridge and every way out. The Russians have no choice but to fight it out or retreat. Possibly much more expensive in terms of Ukrainian lives for what is essentially the same result. Remember, there are no supplies coming for trapped Ukrainian civilians either.

On the other hand, if the Russians surrender it's probably game over for the Russians.
Total annihilation of the enemy wins you other battles, or maybe even converts future battles into uncontested takeover.  Ukraine doesn't just need to win the battle, they need to win the war, and the best way to do it is to shock Russia into ending it.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on September 12, 2022, 01:01:08 PMInteresting.  Now that the Ukrainians are on the offensive they've adopted the "write a symbol on your vehicles to help identify friend or foe".

Instead of a "Z" or an "O", they're using a "+".

And they're using that + on a lot of repurposed civilian vehicles as well.

Is this something western militaries do as well?  Or is it a soviet thing?
I imagine the western militaries aren't using essentially the same equipment or the same uniforms as their enemy, so letters and colored bands become necessary.  I think the US military would know whether the other guys are them or the Taliban fighters even without letters or colored armbands.

Malthus

Quote from: Threviel on September 12, 2022, 11:54:06 AMNormally in battle you aren't after a total annihilation of the enemy but their retreat. If the Ukrainians want the Russians out of Kherson they should leave them an avenue of retreat. Make it a bad avenue forcing them to do a Falaise pocket retreat if possible, but still a retreat. That way they achieve their objectives with minimal loss of Ukrainian lives. A cornered enemy with no avenue of retreat is simply forced to fight it out and that's a lot costlier.

It looks like this is not what they are doing, they have himarsed every bridge and every way out. The Russians have no choice but to fight it out or retreat. Possibly much more expensive in terms of Ukrainian lives for what is essentially the same result. Remember, there are no supplies coming for trapped Ukrainian civilians either.

On the other hand, if the Russians surrender it's probably game over for the Russians.

Doesn't this depend on the perception of how POWs are going to be treated?

In Mariopol, the Ukrainians held out for a very long time - but this was against Russians who openly talked about how they were all criminals and Nazis, and were going to be tried as such.

Promise decent treatment, and you may get less of a desperate last stand.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Zoupa

Mass surrenders in Kherson oblast. 10-15k. Unconfirmed so far, but if true, pretty much game over...

The next few weeks are going to be hairy.

The Larch

Apparently the Russian General Staff is suspending sending any new units into Ukraine. Change of strategy incoming?

Threviel

Fucking glorious, Ukraine is doing the borderline impossible. Ignore my obsolete post.

DGuller

Quote from: The Larch on September 12, 2022, 01:24:03 PMApparently the Russian General Staff is suspending sending any new units into Ukraine. Change of strategy incoming?
Did Putin approve of this discussion?  Or was he even asked about it?

Sheilbh

Quote from: DGuller on September 12, 2022, 01:30:17 PM
Quote from: The Larch on September 12, 2022, 01:24:03 PMApparently the Russian General Staff is suspending sending any new units into Ukraine. Change of strategy incoming?
If the report that he's in his dacha in Sochi are true maybe that's all a bit Gorbachev?
Let's bomb Russia!

Berkut

Quote from: Zoupa on September 12, 2022, 11:52:05 AMNot sure how many Languish users are on Twitter, but if you are you've probably come across the Fellas/NAFO. I've been a member since June and wanted to share my little dude:

And for those who don't know about NAFO:

https://www.politico.eu/article/nafo-doge-shiba-russia-putin-ukraine-twitter-trolling-social-media-meme/

"The shit-posting, Twitter-trolling, dog-deploying social media army taking on Putin one meme at a time."
That is awesome in so many ways.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Malthus

These rumours sound ... almost too good.

Sources?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 12, 2022, 01:31:30 PM
Quote from: DGuller on September 12, 2022, 01:30:17 PM
If the report that he's in his dacha in Sochi are true maybe that's all a bit Gorbachev?

Was thinking of Stalin's reaction on hearing about Barbarossa.

Barrister

Or is it just that so many soldiers were refusing to deploy the units couldn't meaningfully be sent anyways?

Any source on those surrenders actually happening?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PDH

Nothing official yet.  I will gladly be wrong if it happens today.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM